Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I managed to get a place through clearing for Nursing, however it is a very intense course and i'm not 100% sure how I would handle it.

I then got a place at college for HNC care and admin practice, unfortunately this course does not let me into the second year of uni for my chosen course, I would have to go into the first year of university. Meaning I would have to pay the last year myself as my SAAS would finish by then.

And today I got a call for an interview for HNC Soft Tissue Therapy at college. This course would let me get into the second year at uni but there doesn't seem like a high success rate of getting jobs after.

At this moment i'm very confused and any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hadiaaa)
    Basically I managed to get a place through clearing for Nursing, however it is a very intense course and i'm not 100% sure how I would handle it.

I then got a place at college for HNC care and admin practice, unfortunately this course does not let me into the second year of uni for my chosen course, I would have to go into the first year of university. Meaning I would have to pay the last year myself as my SAAS would finish by then.

And today I got a call for an interview for HNC Soft Tissue Therapy at college. This course would let me get into the second year at uni but there doesn't seem like a high success rate of getting jobs after.

At this moment i'm very confused and any advice would be appreciated.
    Taking away the finance and the entering into X year of uni, which course do you actually want to do? They all seem like quite different courses and will lead to different things so they're certainly not interchangeable. The 2nd option doesn't really sound like something you want to do from what you are saying.

It sounds like you're concerned about nursing due to the intensity of the course. How does that compare to these HNC programmes? Presumably they are also quite intense?

Have you considered taking a year out and gaining some more experience in different care settings then reapplying next year. This would enable you to make a better decision which is important, particularly given SAAS funding is an issue for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Taking away the finance and the entering into X year of uni, which course do you actually want to do? They all seem like quite different courses and will lead to different things so they're certainly not interchangeable. The 2nd option doesn't really sound like something you want to do from what you are saying.

It sounds like you're concerned about nursing due to the intensity of the course. How does that compare to these HNC programmes? Presumably they are also quite intense?

Have you considered taking a year out and gaining some more experience in different care settings then reapplying next year. This would enable you to make a better decision which is important, particularly given SAAS funding is an issue for you.
    I've always wanted to do something related to helping people. I had chosen either physiotherapy or radiotherapy but I would have to take a gap year and do it next year.

I don't want to have a gap year, I want to go straight into education again.

The nursing degree seem extremely intense compared to the HNC courses, in the entire year there are only 5 weeks of holidays and the guy at the interview kept emphasising how hard this course is compared to others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hadiaaa)
    I've always wanted to do something related to helping people. I had chosen either physiotherapy or radiotherapy but I would have to take a gap year and do it next year.

I don't want to have a gap year, I want to go straight into education again.

The nursing degree seem extremely intense compared to the HNC courses, in the entire year there are only 5 weeks of holidays and the guy at the interview kept emphasising how hard this course is compared to others
    Why do you want to go straight into education again? Is it worth doing the course that you don't want to do, just so that you don't have to take a year out? With NHS courses this also has implications on your initial career after graduating. What will you gain this year over next year?

Yes, nursing is a very intense course and I am not denying that but I would also expect the HNCs to be equally as demanding if they lead to a professional qualification. If they are not equally as tough then I think you need to question why this is and what the implications are, if at the end of the day you would all end up working in a similar role.

So far it seems your options are:

Wait a year and apply for the courses you want
    Do nursing, which you're concerned about for a number of reasons
    Do a HNC which doesn't really lead to where you want in terms of getting in Y2 of a degree so would leave you in financial problems and maybe having to drop out
    Do a different HNC where you don't think you'll get a job, aren't sure on the course, but you can go into Y2 of the degree

I would strongly advise you to consider the long term aspects as well as the short term in this decision.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.