Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

So obviously I've just finished my A-Levels and I was wondering what to do with them. Basically, I've applied for Maths with Economics and managed to meet my firm offer at UCL. I got four A*s in Maths, FM, biology and chemistry.

However I'm not 100% sure if this is the course I want to do at the university I want to be at. Obviously UCL is a wonderful uni but after results I feel uncertain about whether or not the course is for me. Just for some background, I've thought about medicine, natsci and computer science so far.

The other part to this is that if I do take a gap year, it may be a problem for some unis as I've heard that (particularly Oxbridge) do not like if you apply for Maths a year later as your brain isn't as sharp a year later.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the block of text!

ReputationRep:
    The point about high-level universities not liking Maths applicants to have gap years is correct. There are threads on the Cambridge TSR forum where an admissions tutor makes exactly that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    The point about high-level universities not liking Maths applicants to have gap years is correct. There are threads on the Cambridge TSR forum where an admissions tutor makes exactly that point.
    Yep, so I have to decide whether or not maths is for me right now. If it is then great I stay on at UCL, if not I take a gap year. Bit of a pickle.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by notgingerron)
    Hey guys!

So obviously I've just finished my A-Levels and I was wondering what to do with them. Basically, I've applied for Maths with Economics and managed to meet my firm offer at UCL. I got four A*s in Maths, FM, biology and chemistry.

However I'm not 100% sure if this is the course I want to do at the university I want to be at. Obviously UCL is a wonderful uni but after results I feel uncertain about whether or not the course is for me. Just for some background, I've thought about medicine, natsci and computer science so far.

The other part to this is that if I do take a gap year, it may be a problem for some unis as I've heard that (particularly Oxford) do not like if you apply for Maths a year later as your brain isn't as sharp a year later.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the block of text!
    Hello,

It's always best to be completely sure about the course. Have a good look at the courses available and maybe have a look around various universities and get an idea if that's the place that you want to study. If you do decide to take a gap year, make sure that you fill it with things that will allow you to show that you have experience in a given area. Even if it isn't directly associated to your course, the experience gained will be able to show your ability to apply skills to new situations.

Hope that helps

Reece
    (Student Ambassador - Undergraduate Biomedical Science, Postgraduate Marketing)

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities, not just Oxford aren't keen on gap years for maths applicants, as they believe maths skills are lost particularly quickly. They will accept them though, if you do something (further study or work) which will keep your maths skills sharp. However, for the other courses you are considering, gap years are less of an issue. You'd probably need one to build up the work experience needed for medicine, for example.

Take your time, and really think about, and research the other courses you are interested in. Think of the pros and cons of each course. Don't rush into anything, but with 4A* grades you would be a strong applicant for other courses next year. Try not to rush into a decision. It's normal to be nervous at this stage, but equally, if you have a lot of doubts, it's better to change your mind now than after a few months at uni.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, so I have to decide whether or not maths is for me right now. If it is then great I stay on at UCL, if not I take a gap year. Bit of a pickle.
    Pretty much - yes - if you want to do maths then stick with what you have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    A lot of universities, not just Oxford aren't keen on gap years for maths applicants, as they believe maths skills are lost particularly quickly. They will accept them though, if you do something (further study or work) which will keep your maths skills sharp. However, for the other courses you are considering, gap years are less of an issue. You'd probably need one to build up the work experience needed for medicine, for example.

Take your time, and really think about, and research the other courses you are interested in. Think of the pros and cons of each course. Don't rush into anything, but with 4A* grades you would be a strong applicant for other courses next year. Try not to rush into a decision. It's normal to be nervous at this stage, but equally, if you have a lot of doubts, it's better to change your mind now than after a few months at uni.

Good luck.
    Should have mentioned, I do have work experience at a hospital and both parents are doctors so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes basically that's the situation. Have you only started feeling like this since receiving your results? If you were previously very keen on studying maths than this may just be nerves about moving onto a new stage in your life. If you want to do maths then you should just stick with UCL and go this year.

ReputationRep:
    Should have mentioned, I do have work experience at a hospital and both parents are doctors so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Do bear in mind that medicine is very competitive and most candidates offer a wide range of work experience. It sounds like you already have a good start though if that is the route you want to go down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Yes basically that's the situation. Have you only started feeling like this since receiving your results? If you were previously very keen on studying maths than this may just be nerves about moving onto a new stage in your life. If you want to do maths then you should just stick with UCL and go this year.
    If I'm honest I haven't really thought about my course for a while, only after results I've been feeling like this. I chose it because I seem to do okay at it, but I feel like that's my only reason right now.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.