The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skill Twix
Got an offer for BEconSe!I got the offer the same day I sent my UCAS application :biggrin:

woah! That's super fast. Congrats! Is Manchester your firm?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by LeahLeeLee
woah! That's super fast. Congrats! Is Manchester your firm?

Insurance!I'd consider Warwick,Bristol and Nottingham to be my firm(still waiting for any decisions)
Insurance!I'd consider Warwick,Bristol and Nottingham to be my firm(still waiting for any decisions)

(y) All the best! Probably making Manchester my insurance as well, it's between Manchester and Birmingham. ^^
(y) All the best! Probably making Manchester my insurance as well, it's between Manchester and Birmingham. ^^

I would go with Manchester personally, heard bad things about Birm, both of the uni and the city😁

What's your firm then?Good luck to you too!
Original post by marco14196
I would go with Manchester personally, heard bad things about Birm, both of the uni and the city

I've heard similar things!
I would go with Manchester personally, heard bad things about Birm, both of the uni and the city������

What bad things, if you could elaborate? My boyfriend said the same thing, to be honest, but I actually like the module for International Relations and Economics that they offer. Probably choosing Manchester anyway. :P
What's your firm then?Good luck to you too!

I've heard similar things!

Waiting and praying so hard for St Andrews. :'D Everything else is Insurance to me :tongue:
I would go with Manchester personally, heard bad things about Birm, both of the uni and the city😁

I live near bham and manc as a city is sooo much nicer/bigger/better imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waiting and praying so hard for St Andrews. :'D Everything else is Insurance to me :tongue:

Good luck!
What bad things, if you could elaborate? My boyfriend said the same thing, to be honest, but I actually like the module for International Relations and Economics that they offer. Probably choosing Manchester anyway. :P

The uni is not as highly regarded as Manchester for one, Manchester campus is better and then there are reasons to stay away from Birmingham. I hear theres more crime and its just not as nice as Manchester.
The uni is not as highly regarded as Manchester for one, Manchester campus is better and then there are reasons to stay away from Birmingham. I hear theres more crime and its just not as nice as Manchester.

Oh although I have said previously that Manchester is way better than Birmingham (which I still stand by!) I feel the need to inform you Manchester has the highest rate of crime in the UK :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooooh, I see.. Well, thank you. :smile: I truly appreciate it, being an International student and all, I can't exactly pop in for a visit. Hehehe

Original post by rachelc142
Oh although I have said previously that Manchester is way better than Birmingham (which I still stand by!) I feel the need to inform you Manchester has the highest rate of crime in the UK :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I was under the impression that Hull has the highest rate of crime in UK! Then again, Manchester has the highest number of Malaysians (that's me, right there :tongue:) among all other UK unis, making it rather unappealing to me (I prefer to go somewhere with less fellow citizens, heheeh). Thank you for the info!
Ooooh, I see.. Well, thank you. :smile: I truly appreciate it, being an International student and all, I can't exactly pop in for a visit. Hehehe

Thanks! I was under the impression that Hull has the highest rate of crime in UK! Then again, Manchester has the highest number of Malaysians (that's me, right there :tongue:) among all other UK unis, making it rather unappealing to me (I prefer to go somewhere with less fellow citizens, heheeh). Thank you for the info!

No problem, I loved Manchester so much the city is a mix of old and new, the uni is v highly regarded, massive student body, lecturers seemed friendly & enthusiastic, accomodation is affordable, I just loved it all round haha :') people call Birmingham the second city but having lived very nearby for most of my life I can tell you it's nothing special ! No probs glad to help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received an offer for Management with Marketing!
But I'm rather confused with one of the conditions... it says "You must provide evidence of your examination within 2 weeks of publication. IELTS 6.5 with no lower than 6 in any component. You should have taken your IELTS examination and received your results by 7 August unless otherwise agreed with the UG Admission Office."

However, I already took the test before applying and included the TRF number in the UCAS application. Should I send them a hard copy or...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by milkberries
Just received an offer for Management with Marketing!
But I'm rather confused with one of the conditions... it says "You must provide evidence of your examination within 2 weeks of publication. IELTS 6.5 with no lower than 6 in any component. You should have taken your IELTS examination and received your results by 7 August unless otherwise agreed with the UG Admission Office."

However, I already took the test before applying and included the TRF number in the UCAS application. Should I send them a hard copy or...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Inform them.

Btw, which country are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh07
Inform them.

Btw, which country are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay just dropped them an e-mail.
I'm an international applicant :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Offer for PPE two days after I sent my application. Anyone else for PPE?
Original post by rachelc142

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're probably thinking of this set of stats http://university.which.co.uk/advice/best-and-worst-universities-for-crime-and-safety

However, it's a fairly useless, crudely compiled set of stats. It just looks at all the crime in a three mile radius of the main campus.

However, that takes in lots of areas where students have no reason to go (eg moss side, Gorton) which have a significant level of crime. It also fails to take in some areas that a significant number of students live in (eg Didsbury). The way they calculate it also disadvantages unis close to the city centre - city centres always have more crime due to the footfall, shops (for theft) and nightlife. Manchester's large city centre is within the three mile radius.

It doesn't look at who the victims are - most of those crime will be locals vs locals, and utterly irrelevant to students.

I completed my degree at Manchester, and I've never been the victim of crime here. Like all big cities, crime does happen, but if you take the same sensible precautions you would in any other city - such as not walking home alone when you're drunk, locking your front door and windows, locking your bike with a D lock - you'll almost certainly be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think you're probably thinking of this set of stats http://university.which.co.uk/advice/best-and-worst-universities-for-crime-and-safety

However, it's a fairly useless, crudely compiled set of stats. It just looks at all the crime in a three mile radius of the main campus.

However, that takes in lots of areas where students have no reason to go (eg moss side, Gorton) which have a significant level of crime. It also fails to take in some areas that a significant number of students live in (eg Didsbury). The way they calculate it also disadvantages unis close to the city centre - city centres always have more crime due to the footfall, shops (for theft) and nightlife. Manchester's large city centre is within the three mile radius.

It doesn't look at who the victims are - most of those crime will be locals vs locals, and utterly irrelevant to students.

I completed my degree at Manchester, and I've never been the victim of crime here. Like all big cities, crime does happen, but if you take the same sensible precautions you would in any other city - such as not walking home alone when you're drunk, locking your front door and windows, locking your bike with a D lock - you'll almost certainly be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was just saying it as a stat rather than the actual meaning of it because it's never put me off going personally :smile: it's just something to be aware of I guess. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sitiputri
Offer for PPE two days after I sent my application. Anyone else for PPE?

Close, Politics and Economics! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending