The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Radville
Its a crazy question and probably imposible, but i'll risk asking: is it posible to transfer from MBS to Biomedical sciences?:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's possible but kind of unusual, most people who change courses tend to switch to something fairly similar. How do the entry requirements for Biomedical Sciences compare to your offer for MBS? And have you done the right A-level subjects?

In any case, the best thing to do is just to contact the Life Sciences admission office and see what they say.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I have all the needed subjects, since i knew i would never be sure what to study..:| i start thinking more and more that maybe i made a mistake by choosing management as it is not so 'demanded' , biomedical sciences or genetics would be more perspective..? I am not sure if i made myself clear, sorry if not:biggrin:
Although i think that management related job would be more appealing to me but the look everyone gives me when i say what i'm planning to study... Ugggh, so much pressure!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Radville
I have all the needed subjects, since i knew i would never be sure what to study..:| i start thinking more and more that maybe i made a mistake by choosing management as it is not so 'demanded' , biomedical sciences or genetics would be more perspective..? I am not sure if i made myself clear, sorry if not:biggrin:
Although i think that management related job would be more appealing to me but the look everyone gives me when i say what i'm planning to study... Ugggh, so much pressure!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will definitely help that you meet the entry requirements, all you can do is contact them and see what they say. The sooner you ask, the more likely you'll be able to transfer.
Original post by shreevi23
Ranking Questions:
I've applied for Aerospace Engineering. Pls help!
Manchester has a better ranking in the QS and USNEWS websites but only an average ranking in the Guardian,The Complete University Guide lists.
However, Bath and Southampton have very good rankings in the Guardian and the CUG lists but a poor ranking in the QS list.
Sheffield is average in both.
Can someone explain? Are the rankings related to how old the universities are?
Which list do I trust?
"At a recent ranking undertaken by the Guardian, Manchester is placed 5th in the UK in international reputation behind the usual four: Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial.[107] Furthermore, according to the latest QS World University Rankings, Manchester is ranked 4th in Europe strictly in terms of both academic and employer reputation.[108] However, while as a rule world rankings (such as the ARWU, THES and HEEACT[109]) typically place the university within the top 10 in Europe, national studies are less complimentary; The Times 'Good University Guide 2011'[110] ranked Manchester 30th out of 113 Universities in the UK, 'The Complete University Guide 2012' in association with The Independent placed it at 29th out of 116 universities[111]whilst 'The Guardian University Guide 2012' ranked Manchester at 41st out of 119 universities in the UK.[112] This apparent paradox is mainly a reflection of the different ranking methodologies employed by each listing: global rankings focus on research and international prestige, whereas national rankings are largely based on teaching and the student experience."
Reply 1964
Firmed Uni of Manchester for Earth sciences....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if/when we find out term dates?
Original post by LucyG123
Does anyone know if/when we find out term dates?

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/key-dates/
The main dates for 2015/2016 are here, Freshers is a week before semester 1 starts so the 14th September onwards.

I found out because my boyfriend is going to Oxford and he has shorter terms than us Manchester folks :cry:
Original post by SallyMichelle
The main dates for 2015/2016 are here, Freshers is a week before semester 1 starts so the 14th September onwards.

I found out because my boyfriend is going to Oxford and he has shorter terms than us Manchester folks :cry:

Thanks!!

Original post by LucyG123
Thanks!!

Fresher's Week starts on the 21st this year, lectures start a week later on the 28th.
Anyone have any idea how lenient manchester are on grades?
I've applied for PPE AAB, but got ABB last year! Thanks :smile:
Original post by JosieThea
Anyone have any idea how lenient manchester are on grades?
I've applied for PPE AAB, but got ABB last year! Thanks :smile:

It will vary from year to year and from applicant to applicant. If you miss your offer, their decision will be based on things like how many places they have left and the quality of the rest of your application. It's difficult to predict that sort of thing.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Fresher's Week starts on the 21st this year, lectures start a week later on the 28th.

I've seen people post leaflets from their courses saying the 14th, but yeah I guess it would be nice to know an actual date with all the confusion!
I've seen people post leaflets from their courses saying the 14th, but yeah I guess it would be nice to know an actual date with all the confusion!

That's strange, I haven't seen the 14th mentioned anywhere. You should always go by what your course officially tells you but I'm 95% sure it's the 21st. :tongue:

That's strange, I haven't seen the 14th mentioned anywhere. You should always go by what your course officially tells you but I'm 95% sure it's the 21st. :tongue:

I received the arrival guide by mail and it says:

Orientation: 17-20 September 2015
Semester One: 21 September 2015 - 31 January 2016 (break 18 December 2015 - 18 January 2016)
Semester Two: 1 February 2016 - 10 June 2016 (break 18 March - 11 April 2016)
(edited 8 years ago)
Just got my offer for law!

Any other Canadian students going to Manchester?

Also, I received an the offer on UCAS but haven't received anything from the uni itself, is this normal?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Schrode
I received the arrival guide by mail and it says:

Orientation: 17-20 September 2015
Semester One: 21 September 2015 - 31 January 2016 (break 18 December 2015 - 18 January 2016)
Semester Two: 1 February 2016 - 10 June 2016 (break 18 March - 11 April 2016)

That sounds about right to me. :smile:

Orientation is only for international students, by the way. If you're a home student, you don't have to be there until the 21st.
Original post by canada87
Just got my offer for law!

Any other Canadian students going to Manchester?

Also, I received an the offer on UCAS but haven't received anything from the uni itself, is this normal?

yes, its normal. they will most likely send you an email in the next days. btw, congrats on your offer! :smile:
Reply 1977
That sounds about right to me. :smile:

Orientation is only for international students, by the way. If you're a home student, you don't have to be there until the 21st.

Actually the orientation is for all students Home and international...You'll use this week to provide GCSE certificates for Maths and English

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GoS-Co
Actually the orientation is for all students Home and international...You'll use this week to provide GCSE certificates for Maths and English

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, orientation is almost entirely geared towards international students. Welcome Week, however, is for everyone.

Who told you you'd need to provide certificates during orientation? The majority of UK students don't even arrive until the Saturday or Sunday so I doubt any courses require them this early. Most courses don't even ask for them in my experience, and even if they do, it will usually be a few weeks into the semester.
Congratulations Canadian87 (y)

Students Solution