Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been confirmed a place with my insurance choice, I have done some further research and am not that happy to study there. Is it possible to withdraw this confirmed place and go into clearing? Or can i withdraw and take a gap year?
    If so how?
    :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JasmineBerry)
    I have been confirmed a place with my insurance choice, I have done some further research and am not that happy to study there. Is it possible to withdraw this confirmed place and go into clearing? Or can i withdraw and take a gap year?
    If so how?
    :confused:
    Yes it is possible to do this. If you want to go into Clearing you need to call the university up and ask to be released into Clearing. This needs to be done ASAP as sometimes being released can take a while, meaning you miss out on places in Clearing. Once you have been released you will get a Clearing number in track and the universities will ask for this when you contact them to ask about places (you could try contacting some places before you get your Clearing number, but you will probably find a lot of them will not talk to you until you have been released and have this). More about Clearing in our Clearing 2014 sticky. You can also just withdraw altogether and take a gap year - the advantage of this is more courses available and more time to think through your options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Yes it is possible to do this. If you want to go into Clearing you need to call the university up and ask to be released into Clearing. This needs to be done ASAP as sometimes being released can take a while, meaning you miss out on places in Clearing. Once you have been released you will get a Clearing number in track and the universities will ask for this when you contact them to ask about places (you could try contacting some places before you get your Clearing number, but you will probably find a lot of them will not talk to you until you have been released and have this). More about Clearing in our Clearing 2014 sticky. You can also just withdraw altogether and take a gap year - the advantage of this is more courses available and more time to think through your options.
    Thank you very much for the help!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you very much for the help!
    Let us know how it all goes for you and please do post if you have any problems/questions.

ReputationRep:
    im doing the same thing right now
    I just phoned a university and told them that I am holding an offer but that I will ask them to release me so that I can go into clearing and I didn't need a clearing nr

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I wasn't happy with my Firm choice so I called them up and emailed them for me to be released. It only took about an hour and and then I was with another University, its seems pretty easy. Only thing now is my Student fiance might take 6 weeks to process the changes!!!

ReputationRep:
    Update:
    I asked the initial university to release me once i found a place at another university via clearing application . Now have been confirmed with the university I wanted to go to.
    Thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    Update:
    I asked the initial university to release me once i found a place at another university via clearing application . Now have been confirmed with the university I wanted to go to.
    Thanks for all your help
    Glad it all worked out for you! I did the same thing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.