Does it really matter what university you go?

Watch
iamux
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Quite a significant number of people went through clearing (including myself) and quite possibly 'downgraded'. I myself missed out on a Russel group uni and am now going to a metropolitan.

So, does it really matter? Especially for generic subjects such as English, geography, psychology

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance as clearing all happens so fast
Swirll
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"Does it really matter which university you go to?"

Yes.

Which university are you now going to, though, and what was your original offer for?
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you're happy that is all that matters:yy:

With the relevant experience any respectable degree can get you a job.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamux)
Quite a significant number of people went through clearing (including myself) and quite possibly 'downgraded'. I myself missed out on a Russel group uni and am now going to a metropolitan.

So, does it really matter? Especially for generic subjects such as English, geography, psychology

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance as clearing all happens so fast
Some degrees need certain universities - many don't

What course are you going to do
Swirll
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by King Leonidas)

That's very true TBF :yy: :yep:

I guess it really depends what OP wants to do with their degree. OP, if you're hoping for a job with something like Magic Circle law firm, say, then TBH I would advise going to a Russell Group or Top 10/20 uni if at all possible, but if you're not so fussed about where you work afterwards and want to go to uni largely for "the experience" it doesn't matter so much
iamux
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swirll)
"Does it really matter which university you go to?"

Yes.

Which university are you now going to, though, and what was your original offer for?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Some degrees need certain universities - many don't

What course are you going to do
psychology,

originally leeds main but now leeds met

is it that bad?

i missed out on my offer by dropping a grade in two subjects (although i did get a grade higher in my final subject)
ldsbabe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by King Leonidas)

So true.
I think there is a myth perpetuating on TSR that if you don't have 300+ UCAS points and a 1st from a Russell Group then your life is going to amount to nothing. Simply untrue.
Swirll
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamux)
psychology,

is it that bad?

i missed out on my offer by dropping a grade in two subjects (although i did get a grade higher in my final subject)
I'm not sure about Leeds Met's reputation for psychology, have you checked the league tables?

It depends what you want to go to uni for as well. Where/what kind of place do you want to work afterwards? (If you get at least a 2:1, I'll bet you can get a pretty good job after going to Leeds Met, but against competitive applicants from higher-ranked unis with 2:1s it might be more difficult than it would be if you attended a Russell Group). Are you going mainly for the uni experience? Have you visited Leeds Met yet?

In the end, I'd say do a lot of research and then do what's right for you. How much time do you have to decide?
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamux)
psychology,

The Leeds Met course is BPA accredited so will be fine - congratulations on your place
godd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can always go onto do a masters in a Russell Group uni.
I did my masters at QMUL in Finance and Econometrics, and that looks great on the CV!!
Tomarthur
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mum works for Liverpool uni. I got into sheff Hallam! She seems to feel that polytechnics or metropolitans can be much better.

A Russell or red brick uni, will plow your £9000 into research, and to a large extent, dont really care about you as a student, you are just a number; if you fail it's your fault, and generally they tend to have a lower feedback score from past students on enjoyment and how they feel they where treated.

A polytechnic uni, will use all of your 9000 quid, into teaching. This can be seen in the buildings, they are often newer and have better facilities look modern, and your lecturer focuses more on teaching than his own personal research etc..

The age old stereotype of going to a poly has somewhat dissipated and is changing, as employers recognise that there is a better standard of teaching in the poly's. That said, Russell groups aren't ****! They just aren't essential unless you want to go into research academia, as they tend to have better contacts for that type of thing.

Furthermore if your going to be your own boss or self employed when you come out of uni, doesn't really matter what your degree is or where it's from!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
iamux
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swirll)
I'm not sure about Leeds Met's reputation for psychology, have you checked the league tables?

It depends what you want to go to uni for as well. Where/what kind of place do you want to work afterwards? (If you get at least a 2:1, I'll bet you can get a pretty good job after going to Leeds Met, but against competitive applicants from higher-ranked unis with 2:1s it might be more difficult than it would be if you attended a Russell Group). Are you going mainly for the uni experience? Have you visited Leeds Met yet?

In the end, I'd say do a lot of research and then do what's right for you. How much time do you have to decide?
Not really leeds met but I like the town and atmosphere both unis have, as they're both very close
I'm going for my degree, I'm no doubt going to a post graduate course, do you think I'd be able to do this at a russel group even if I didn't go to one?

(Original post by TenOfThem)
The Leeds Met course is BPA accredited so will be fine - congratulations on your place
This is what is getting be through tbh, thanks

(Original post by godd)
You can always go onto do a masters in a Russell Group uni.
I did my masters at QMUL in Finance and Econometrics, and that looks great on the CV!!
Would I be at a disadvantage for course places (masters/doctorates) because of a 'lower end' uni?

Thanks
iamux
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomarthur)
My mum works for Liverpool uni. I got into sheff Hallam! She seems to feel that polytechnics or metropolitans can be much better.

A Russell or red brick uni, will plow your £9000 into research, and to a large extent, dont really care about you as a student, you are just a number; if you fail it's your fault, and generally they tend to have a lower feedback score from past students on enjoyment and how they feel they where treated.

A polytechnic uni, will use all of your 9000 quid, into teaching. This can be seen in the buildings, they are often newer and have better facilities look modern, and your lecturer focuses more on teaching than his own personal research etc..

The age old stereotype of going to a poly has somewhat dissipated and is changing, as employers recognise that there is a better standard of teaching in the poly's. That said, Russell groups aren't ****! They just aren't essential unless you want to go into research academia, as they tend to have better contacts for that type of thing.

Furthermore if your going to be your own boss or self employed when you come out of uni, doesn't really matter what your degree is or where it's from!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
reassuring, thanks
LSD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not all top universities are Russell Group, to be honest the only reason to actively want to go to a Russell Group uni is for the research aspects :/ they get tonnes of money poured into research basically. I went to a Russell Group uni to do Genetics, and I'm really glad I did because I want a career in research, and that same uni is funding my 4 year PhD direct from honours. It made that road a little easier. But people who go on about RG universities and brag about how good they are - most of them don't even know what it means, it's just a name that means "good uni" to them.
godd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamux)

Would I be at a disadvantage for course places (masters/doctorates) because of a 'lower end' uni?

Thanks

No! No! No!
All they will look at is your degree classification and your modules. If they feel your modules are not suited to the masters, they may make you do a postgrad diploma before the masters. The post grad diploma would be the masters uni's year 3 content

I know people who have gone from greenwich to imperial, greenwich to UCL, greenwich to cass.

For me, QMUL just wanted a 2:1 in my undergrad to take me for my masters
iamux
Rep:
?
(Original post by godd)
No! No! No!
All they will look at is your degree classification and your modules. If they feel your modules are not suited to the masters, they may make you do a postgrad diploma before the masters. The post grad diploma would be the masters uni's year 3 content

I know people who have gone from greenwich to imperial, greenwich to UCL, greenwich to cass.

For me, QMUL just wanted a 2:1 in my undergrad to take me for my masters
ah okay, i feel a lot better thanks!

i guess im just gonna work really hard and try and get the best scores in all my modules, if anything, leeds met is gonna make me work harder, to 'compensate' their rank
godd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamux)

i guess im just gonna work really hard and try and get the best scores in all my modules, if anything, leeds met is gonna make me work harder, to 'compensate' their rank
That's that spirit!!!
Dr Alcoholic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends on the degree. For things like law and banking related subjects then yes it will matter to a decent extent. For things like engineering, sciences and vocational subject not really if at all.

Having said that though, if you do well in a degree from any uni i.e. get a first, you're giving yourself a fairly decent chance.
Tomarthur
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iamux)

Hahaha wait until your hung over and your alarm goes off at 7.30 for a nice lecture on statistics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsbook
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you are happy, enjoying the course and doing a subject you like then it really shouldn't matter. When it comes down to it all unis provide the necessary resources for you to pass but none of this is worth anything unless you use it and work hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.43%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
26.86%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads