Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, doing a PBL course which starts placements early so need some advice! I am blessed with curves which can make midrise jeans and button-up shirts look pronographic very easily, even if they 'fit'. Advice needed!

ReputationRep:
    Well you can forget about wearing jeans on placements. Most of the female medics I've seen either wear trousers, long skirts or a smart dress. Button up shirts make your boobs more noticeable? Solution: buy a bigger shirt, tuck it in if need be.

EDIT: also, pics plz.

ReputationRep:
    You have to dress formal on placement, jeans and revealing tops are not a good idea! I like to get tops which come up nearer to my neck. The 'CPR test' is a good way to think about it - if you can do CPR without flashing to the rest of the team then you're probably good! I wear skinnier-fit work trousers but there's also skirts and nice flowy trousers, lots of options and dresses are really good to have in the wardrobe, just make sure they're long enough - if they don't come down to your knee but are close-ish then it's probably a good idea to wear some thicker tights!

Basically just have a look around at what all the junior doctors and older med students are wearing on the wards, you'll get a good idea what is appropriate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliam)
    I am blessed with curves which can make midrise jeans and button-up shirts look pronographic very easily, even if they 'fit'. Advice needed!
    What people have said about jeans - occasionally you'll see a Reg or Consultant especially in certain specialties or out of hours in a smart pair but not something for a student to wear.

I always wear a (colour-co-ordinated) strappy top under blouses as I hate gaping or buttons that don't go high enough for the CPR test or kneeling on the floor to get gravity for cannulas on your side! Also then generally means I'm warm enough in the hospital without a jumper which would need to be 3/4 length sleeves or rolled up anyway to meet infection control 'bare below the elbow' rules.

Apparently there are well cut (expensive) blouses that don't gape - but i've kept my day to day work wardrobe quite cheap.

Or the buy a bigger size thing.

Simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliam)
    Hi everyone, doing a PBL course which starts placements early so need some advice! I am blessed with curves which can make midrise jeans and button-up shirts look pronographic very easily, even if they 'fit'. Advice needed!
    It's already been pointed out that jeans are a no-no. I would also avoid any trousers/top combination that leaves a midriff gap. There are plenty of smart options out there, it's not a fashion show, you just need to be professional and presentable.

I am really rubbish at fashion so my work wardrobe largely consists of black/grey trousers, black/grey knee-length skirts, a variety of fitted shirts (usually slightly bigger than necessary to accommodate boobs and avoid flashing) and plain coloured top, and a few jersey/shift dresses. Plus comfortable flat black shoes. I used to have a lovely pair of Clarks kitten heels that were really comfortable and a bit "dressier" for work, but they don't make that style any more, and I haven't found any others quite as comfy! But tbh I just wear scrubs now anyway, so haven't bought new work clothes in ages.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.