Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I only live 10 minutes or so away from Uni so have decided to stay home! However, this has made me a bit anxious about making friends when I start Uni as everyone else will have had freshers week to become acquainted and get to know eachother and will also have more time to bond because their living together. I'm not at all shy and don't struggle making friends, this has just got me worried so was wondering if anyone has any tips that will put my mind at ease? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George x)
    I only live 10 minutes or so away from Uni so have decided to stay home! However, this has made me a bit anxious about making friends when I start Uni as everyone else will have had freshers week to become acquainted and get to know eachother and will also have more time to bond because their living together. I'm not at all shy and don't struggle making friends, this has just got me worried so was wondering if anyone has any tips that will put my mind at ease? X
    I'm applying for accommodation but I can help a bit I think. It is true that a lot of bonding is made where you live and having gone to boarding school I can tell you that communal living is actually a really good experience. Whatever you choose you will be fine. But I live in Bristol and say I went to Bristol Uni I wouldn't want to live at home because I'd want to be 'where the action is'. It's not too late to ring accommodation and make an application and then you have the choice!

Also, have a look for others in a similar situation to you. You may make good bonds with people also living off campus and actually find that you still have a great experience!
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    Whilst the user above has made some interesting points, they have only focused on one group of friends you can possibly make. By living in halls, you are 'forced' into being friends with those that you live with. However, living away from home takes this away from you, at least initially. Saying that, there are many, many other groups of friends you can make.

Jump into societies straight away. This allows you to meet like-minded individuals straight away. These are likely to become your closest friends anyway since you all have something in common! Get involved in 2 or 3 and you'll be a social butterfly

The other way is on your course. After the first couple of weeks, you'll have an idea of those on your course that you like. These people will start moving away from their housemates and start wanting to explore the next friendship group they could make. If you get close to one or two, you'll be invited out with them and it all explodes from there

There's nothing wrong with living off campus, you just have to make the effort and it takes time, whilst those in halls have it handed to them on a plate

ReputationRep:
    I actually have the same concern, only I live in Birmingham which is like an hour away! How many societies are you planning to join/have you looked at them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst you will still make strong friendships, I really think you should consider trying to get a place in halls. It is a unique experience, and was truly the best time of my life.

A friend of mine decided to live at home for first year, whilst the rest of us were in halls at Warwick. Despite making good friends, he seriously regrets it because he missed out on so much, and he moved out in 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    I have friends who stayed at home and went to our local Uni and I was the only one who moved away, and obviously this isn't the main factor but I love Uni whereas they don't so much because they only really experience the work side of things rather than the living and the social side. However saying that, you will make friends on your course and if you only live 10 minutes away then you'll be able to go on nights out with them easily and experience the social aspect of things.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes any difference, one of my best friends at uni is from Birmingham and commutes every day to uni and even though she isn't part of the uni really outside of lesson time, we still really get on and look forward to seeing each other! And I live on campus so the difference wasn't that bad to be fair!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I had the same concerns when I was starting last year. I only live in Tamworth, and I have various other reasons for living off campus, so I was worried I wouldn't make friends at uni. While it is *slightly* more difficult for us than it is for people living in halls, if you go to Freshers, go on nights out, join societies etc, then you'll find you quite easily make friends and bond just as well. Also you'll probably find that you get on quite well with your coursemates.

Good luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    I live about 20 minutes away.

Have applied for accommodation, but if i end up with crap stuff then I'll stay home.

It would worry me. Just hope for good people on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.