Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Extenuating circumstances for retaking year Watch

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum but I feel it fits. I apologise if this post is not very clear as it is very upsetting for me to discuss this.

I was in a bad place during Year 12. I was in a very emotionally abusive relationship. I am going to need to retake the year. Resitting the exams next summer is out of the question, I am not in a good enough place to do this.

The relationship badly affected me. The chaplain at school was aware of some of the things this person had said and done to me and advised me. The school nurses were aware I was self-harming due to the anxiety and stress this relationship caused, though at the time I was in denial, and sent me to therapy. I only attended a few sessions as this person hated what I was doing and manipulated me in to dropping it. The teachers were informed I was not 'happy'. I also have chat logs of my conversations with this person, however I would need to contact them again to access them - I mention these things as I think they'd count as documentation or evidence.

I experienced suicidal thoughts and self-harmed. This person made me miserable and I was in denial it was caused by them, I was convinced by this person I was a terrible human being and they were the only person who could possibly love me. I was also constantly sleep deprived because they would become very angry with me if I didn't stay up with them. As a result, I missed a lot of school days because I was generally depressed, anxious and never got enough sleep and it made me sick. Writing this down makes me feel physically ill and very upset that I let this happen and what this person did to me.
    I am no longer in contact with them and have been for the past two months.

I want to do medicine at university, but my results are subpar. My AS predictions were AAAB. I received BCCD. The only option is to retake the year.

I am aware most medical schools do not accept applicants that have taken three years to complete their A-levels without extenuating circumstances. Unfortunately the ones who will take 3 year applicants without extenuating circumstances require at least BBC the first sitting, so this is out of the question.

So I need to know, can this become an extenuating circumstance? I really want to do medicine. It would be my dream job to help others and it crushes me there is a high possibility I cannot do this because of someone malicious. And I am aware it was stupid of me to continue the relationship for so long.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.