The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford college and freshers week?!

okay so i'll be living in Arkwright Halls from the 9th of September this year, I'll be a fresher and i'll be studying my undergraduate degree at Bradford COLLEGE, not University, however I am aware that I will probably be living with University students!
I am aware that the College doesn't do a "freshers week" per say, but I was wondering what happens then? Will I be able to attend University fresher's events? or because I will be studying my degree at the college maybe I can't? Or do the College students make their own freshers? and what's the nightlife like in Bradford and just any other information!
My boyfriend and bestfriend are going to university this year too and their fresher's weeks look amazing! (Dundee university and DMU Leicester) and they had to buy wristbands etc, and i'm just a bit worried incase I don't have much of one and miss out on the freshers week experience :/
I spoke with the Student's Union - you'd have to attend freshers events as a guest of a University student.

Hopefully, since you may be living with University students you'd be able to attend with one of them. Each student is allowed 1 guest.
Wristbands are currently on sale (you'll have to get this through the uni student you attend with I think) - individual tickets will be available nearer the time, and info about the events can be found on http://www.ubuonline.co.uk

In terms of nightlife, it depends what you like really. There's quite a few pubs and clubs near the college/uni and it's only about 10-15mins on the train to get into Leeds which has a much bigger and better nightlife.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by lauren_derry94
okay so i'll be living in Arkwright Halls from the 9th of September this year, I'll be a fresher and i'll be studying my undergraduate degree at Bradford COLLEGE, not University, however I am aware that I will probably be living with University students!
I am aware that the College doesn't do a "freshers week" per say, but I was wondering what happens then? Will I be able to attend University fresher's events? or because I will be studying my degree at the college maybe I can't? Or do the College students make their own freshers? and what's the nightlife like in Bradford and just any other information!
My boyfriend and bestfriend are going to university this year too and their fresher's weeks look amazing! (Dundee university and DMU Leicester) and they had to buy wristbands etc, and i'm just a bit worried incase I don't have much of one and miss out on the freshers week experience :/

Hi Lauren,

I’m not sure if you’ve visited the College yet but if you have you will know that the College and the University are literally next to each other so the student interaction between the two groups is very strong.

Our College SU puts on a large freshers’ fair and events are arranged for the College students in halls. Our students are always welcome to attend events arranged by the university students’ union in Bradford. In your halls you will meet students from the University who will be able to get you tickets to any of the events they might be going to, nobody will ever feel left out, that’s the last thing we want. Bradford has a vibrant nightlife and the city centre will be geared up to welcome the new students to the city in September. You certainly won’t miss out on Freshers’ as the city will be full of people in the same situation as you, eager to meet new people and have fun in their new city.

Over the next few months our Marketing Department will be working closely with the College Students Union to get them more involved with social activities and events and promote them on our social media a lot more to show our students what is going on. We are going to be working on some projects with bars around town to get our College University students more involved so that they don’t feel singled out by what the University students are involved in and hopefully bring a bit more of a level ground between the two groups. Bradford is a very welcoming student friendly City and thrives off the student interaction so you will definitely feel at home.

The main bars and clubs are very close to the College and University, literally a few minutes walk. Some of the best places to go are Che bar, Lloyds Bar, Wetherspoons, Tokyo, Flares, Tequila and Sky Bar and from there you can go to some of the gay bars such as Candy which are really fun nights out. Alternatively you can get a train or bus to Leeds, Huddersfield or Halifax very cheap and they all have some amazing night clubs and events going on. Leeds is also perfect if you love a big shopping spree!

Hope this helps :smile:
Thank you so much for all the information! So excited now! X
Original post by lauren_derry94
Thank you so much for all the information! So excited now! X

You're very welcome, enjoy your time here :smile: Keep an eye on our social media pages over the next few weeks as we will be posting some useful info & guides for our new students.

Twitter:
@bradfordcollege
@BradfordDegrees (this account is especially for our degree students at the college)

Facebook:
Bradford College

Instagram:
Bradford College

Snapchat:
bradfordcollege

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending