Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Difference between Philosophy and Philosophy and Ethics A Level
    Are they different? Which one is considered better? If I did Philosophy A Level would top universities look down on it for Law?

ReputationRep:
    They are both considered the same, and the topics overlap, but just in different years.

However, Philosophy and Ethics is a more popular A Level and so there's a lot more revision resources around for it, plus it slightly more well known. Both are fine though. Philosophy is only offered by AQA, while Phil. & Ethics are offered by OCR and WJEC, not sure about Edexcel though.

And actually Ethics is perfect for Law. You deal with morality issues and you learn 'is X right or wrong?' Things like this are really helpful for Law and you often have to debate a case/arguing for or against something like Euthanasia or Abortion. You also cover business and environmental ethics which are ideal for law courses.

According to Cambridge (Trinity), it's on the list of facilitating/recommended A Levels. It's pretty much similar to taking History or English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy and ethics is seen as a better a level I believe due to the things you study in the ethics half of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iggy Azalea)
    They are both considered the same, and the topics overlap, but just in different years.

However, Philosophy and Ethics is a more popular A Level and so there's a lot more revision resources around for it, plus it slightly more well known. Both are fine though. Philosophy is only offered by AQA, while Phil. & Ethics are offered by OCR and WJEC, not sure about Edexcel though.

And actually Ethics is perfect for Law. You deal with morality issues and you learn 'is X right or wrong?' Things like this are really helpful for Law and you often have to debate a case/arguing for or against something like Euthanasia or Abortion. You also cover business and environmental ethics which are ideal for law courses.

According to Cambridge (Trinity), it's on the list of facilitating/recommended A Levels. It's pretty much similar to taking History or English Literature.
    This isn't actually true as far as I'm aware, I believe (as directed by the Trinity College page which is so widely used) that AQA Philosophy is considered on par with English and History, which would tally with my experience of the subject - I.e., it's much more difficult than your average soft subject.

In regard to OP, I'd say AQA Philosophy is better for law. Personally I studied it at AS and hope to at A2, and mean to apply for Law. It will absolutely nurture your argumentative skills, as it is much more argumentation-based than other humanities subjects, for example History. Some might try to argue that P&E equally teaches one to argue, but I'm not really convinced. While I've not studied P&E, the exam structure seems to resemble other AS-level subjects, while I'd say Philosophy is quite unique.

At the end of the day though, you should take the one you're more interested in. If you want Epistemology, don't study P&E et cetera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    This isn't actually true as far as I'm aware, I believe (as directed by the Trinity College page which is so widely used) that AQA Philosophy is considered on par with English and History, which would tally with my experience of the subject - I.e., it's much more difficult than your average soft subject.

In regard to OP, I'd say AQA Philosophy is better for law. Personally I studied it at AS and hope to at A2, and mean to apply for Law. It will absolutely nurture your argumentative skills, as it is much more argumentation-based than other humanities subjects, for example History. Some might try to argue that P&E equally teaches one to argue, but I'm not really convinced. While I've not studied P&E, the exam structure seems to resemble other AS-level subjects, while I'd say Philosophy is quite unique.

At the end of the day though, you should take the one you're more interested in. If you want Epistemology, don't study P&E et cetera.
    I going to have to disagree, both A Levels are equal. The content is similar, with the main difference being the fact that the topics are studied in different years. (AS and A2)

And Trinity ranks both as equal. Philosophy and Ethics is part of Religious Studies. Which is on par with History and English Literature. So don't let this fool you.

My school offers both of these subjects and here's how they advise students on which subject to take. If you want to study Classics, then philosophy is the better way to go, but if you want to go into Law (or Politics I believe), then P&E is recommended. So given the OP's situation, P&E is probably a better way to go.

Both qualifications encourage you to be analytical and argumentative to the same level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iggy Azalea)
    I going to have to disagree, both A Levels are equal. The content is similar, with the main difference being the fact that the topics are studied in different years. (AS and A2)

And Trinity ranks both as equal. Philosophy and Ethics is part of Religious Studies. Which is on par with History and English Literature. So don't let this fool you.

My school offers both of these subjects and here's how they advise students on which subject to take. If you want to study Classics, then philosophy is the better way to go, but if you want to go into Law (or Politics I believe), then P&E is recommended. So given the OP's situation, P&E is probably a better way to go.

Both qualifications encourage you to be analytical and argumentative to the same level.
    Oh, you're right, I didn't check to see if P&E was mentioned explicitly, my bad!

I suppose then, OP, you should rely on what each course can give you. Personally I'd suggest AQA Philosophy, as I have not seen a P&E exam paper which would seem to offer the same things that this course does. However I certainly don't have experience of P&E, so I'd suggest looking for someone who has experienced both.

So well done me, I've come here to tell you that I can't help you :cool:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.