Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi guys I have naturally brown hair but I've been dyeing it ginger for years. I love my ginger colour but I've been toying with the idea of using Ombre dye to make it go lighter at the bottom. From what I have seen in shops, L'Oreal Ombre seems like the most popular choice.

So I have a few questions - Is it easy enough to use? What colour would I go for as there are 3 shades but none of them say they are for ginger hair.

I'm hoping to get my hair to look like this roughly
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    There's no need to get special ombre products, that's just a gimmick. You just need to bleach the ends, either using powder bleach and developer or buying a prelightener dye and a toner. Though tbh it's probably a similar price. Go with the one for medium brown hair, ginger is already lighter on the colour scale than dark brown but still needs all the red taken out of it. You may have to use a toner or purple shampoo aferrwards if it's a little brassy.

Alternatively you could use a colour stripper on your hair first to get the red out.

ReputationRep:
    I've used loreal ombre before and recommend it to everyone! I had never bleached/dyed my hair before and i really wanted to join in the ombre trend. I saw the advert on tv for the loreal ombre and thought eh why not? The instructions are SO easy to follow and it get's the iob done! Only thing i recommend is leaving it on for 45 mins rather than the 25 mins written on the leaflet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by -thechosenone)
    I've used loreal ombre before and recommend it to everyone! I had never bleached/dyed my hair before and i really wanted to join in the ombre trend. I saw the advert on tv for the loreal ombre and thought eh why not? The instructions are SO easy to follow and it get's the iob done! Only thing i recommend is leaving it on for 45 mins rather than the 25 mins written on the leaflet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is your natural hair colour? I'll be using it over ginger dyed hair so I'm hoping it will turn out ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My hair is naturally black so i'm not sure our results will be the same. Theres no harm in trying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Did it make your hair go blonde at the end or did it go a little ginger after only using it once?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I left it on for quiet a while so it had gone past the ginger stage. It was a medium blonde

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Did it make your hair feel brittle and damaged afterwards? I've dyed my hair many times and its still in good condition but I've never bleached any part of my hair beforem

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to lie- my hair did feel extremely dry after so i had to use deep conditioning treatments and coconut oil to help it recover

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'll make sure I stock up on plenty of conditioning products then! And I'll be sure to do some strand tests before putting it on all my hair just so I know if I will like the shade it turns out as.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.