The Student Room Group

Economics v Management/Business Studies Degree - HELP!

I'm currently running my own business successfully. I'm 20, but want to go to university - largely for "the experience," but I don't want a "Mickey Mouse" degree, either. It's been a while since I did A-levels (though I got AAA) so I'm taking a new set of 3 or 4 A-levels over the next two years.

I'm not sure which subject I want to apply for next autumn, though. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices: either Economics and/or Management. I know Economics has a reputation for being much more rigorous than Management, and I'm good at maths so could handle that side of the degree easily, but I'm not sure if the subject really interests me as much as it should. It seems a little too "abstract" for me. I can see how it's useful, but I want a degree I can really apply.

On the other hand, Management would be very useful to me as an entrepreneur (though entrepreneurs don't need degrees at all, TBF!) but I know it doesn't have half as good a reputation as Economics, and though I don't plan on getting a great job as opposed to staying self-employed it would be nice to have that option. I also want to try to get into Oxbridge, and they don't offer Management (well, Cambridge does, but you have to switch from another degree and it's not guaranteed).

Should I go with Management? Will it really prove all that useful to me in running my own business? Or, if I'm going to fork out the money for uni (student loans don't cover everything), should I spend that on a solid Economics degree instead? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Oxford does Economics and Management
Reply 2
Original post by 29Bilal96
Oxford does Economics and Management

I'm aware of that, yeah :smile: I know someone who does it, though, and he says he's found it very Economics-heavy.

Also, AFAIK most people who apply to do that either apply for E & M everywhere else (and not many places offer the joint degree) or straight Economics :s-smilie:
Do you enjoy running your own business? Are you cut out to be an entrepreneur? Or do you want to be associated with or a career in some big multinational? How do you envisage your career to evolve over time? After 5 years, 10 years? These are important questions that will help you decide what to do now that will position you for the longer future. If you believe you have the inclination and determination to start and run businesses, then which is the best course that will set you up for the longer term. If you think that is not for you and you do not like the risk associated with new businesses but would like to join a large organization, which course would be better for you? But, from your own description about yourself, you seem like one who would eventually be running your own business. Many have also find that calling later in their career and they chose to do an MBA to help them change direction or to equip them with new skills. A BSc Management degree is very similar to an MBA in scope of subjects, but different in depth, perhaps, due to the people doing MBA going in with working experience, even though many do not have management experience as many come from technical backgrounds. So, an Economics degree is fine if you are desiring working for some organization before considering change in the future. But, if you are planning to come out of university and hit the road running, then a Management degree would be much more useful.
Original post by Swirll
I'm currently running my own business successfully. I'm 20, but want to go to university - largely for "the experience," but I don't want a "Mickey Mouse" degree, either. It's been a while since I did A-levels (though I got AAA) so I'm taking a new set of 3 or 4 A-levels over the next two years.

I'm not sure which subject I want to apply for next autumn, though. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices: either Economics and/or Management. I know Economics has a reputation for being much more rigorous than Management, and I'm good at maths so could handle that side of the degree easily, but I'm not sure if the subject really interests me as much as it should. It seems a little too "abstract" for me. I can see how it's useful, but I want a degree I can really apply.

On the other hand, Management would be very useful to me as an entrepreneur (though entrepreneurs don't need degrees at all, TBF!) but I know it doesn't have half as good a reputation as Economics, and though I don't plan on getting a great job as opposed to staying self-employed it would be nice to have that option. I also want to try to get into Oxbridge, and they don't offer Management (well, Cambridge does, but you have to switch from another degree and it's not guaranteed).

Should I go with Management? Will it really prove all that useful to me in running my own business? Or, if I'm going to fork out the money for uni (student loans don't cover everything), should I spend that on a solid Economics degree instead? Thanks :smile:

do it at oxford - econ and management.

you mire brah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkQgjj2UjD8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending