Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn't study Maths for AS only studied it up to GCSE where I achieved an A grade in it.
    GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAA
    AS: AAB (History, R.S & English Lit).

I have been interested in studying accounting at university however I am concerned about the maths involved. Has anyone studied Accounting in Uni without having studied it at A Levsl? Is the maths in the Accounting degree really that difficult?

ReputationRep:
    Not all AC modules have a maths element, the vast majority don't. Depending on the papers covered there will be typically business maths & stats

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MahmoodReza)
    Not all AC modules have a maths element, the vast majority don't. Depending on the papers covered there will be typically business maths & stats

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, so an A at GCSE is sufficient? I won't struggle without having done A Level maths?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very surprised if you struggle with your first year a/c modules if you haven'e done beyond GCSE maths (with an A grade). I base this on having taught at undergraduate level, as well as current professional exams (and employing accountants).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MahmoodReza)
    I'd be very surprised if you struggle with your first year a/c modules if you haven'e done beyond GCSE maths (with an A grade). I base this on having taught at undergraduate level, as well as current professional exams (and employing accountants).
    Are you an Accountant?

ReputationRep:
    One of my professions is being an accountant - please have a look at my profile

ReputationRep:
    You need A Level Maths man.

What if you have to deal with some Statistical Distribution?

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to apply it, not derive or explain it. The majority of undergraduate & professional AC students that I have taught over the years don't have a level maths. Obviously different uni degree courses vary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be very very surprised if any uni takes you on for Accounting and Finance without A level maths.

GCSE Maths does not really show decent competency in maths. Heck you don't even deal with logs in GCSE Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Your A Levels are good for Law though. Ever considered that option if the Accounting and Finance one doesn't go through?

ReputationRep:
    Stats at GCSE Maths is a joke. OP you NEED A Level Maths, preferably doing S1 and S2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    Stats at GCSE Maths is a joke. OP you NEED A Level Maths, preferably doing S1 and S2 modules.
    The stats at A-Level is also a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    The stats at A-Level is also a joke.

Relatively.

But it's a heck of a lot better than the GCSE crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    Relatively.

But it's a heck of a lot better than the GCSE crap.
    Troll, leave. I've talked to a lot of people who are managing fine with their Accounting degree without A Level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookieesxo)
    Troll, leave. I've talked to a lot of people who are managing fine with their Accounting degree without A Level maths.
    Wow.

You're calling me a ****ing troll.

I gave you good advise. If you want to screwed over by some statistical distribution, be my guest.

Did you know VAR in finance is based on the normal distribution, oh wait, never mind, you don't know what a normal distribution is. No point is working out the confidence levels then.

ReputationRep:
    I have a ****ing Msc in Finance and Econometrics.

You may get through 1st year with GCSE Maths, but after that, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Variance? Covariance? Ever heard of that? Mean Variance Theory in Finance needs those concepts.

Jheez.

ReputationRep:
    What you are doing is suicidal if you degree involves Finance.

And god forbid if you ever do Financial Econometrics, you will cry then.

ReputationRep:
    Black Scholes Formula in Finance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black%E...3Scholes_model

You'll need for pricing Options. Looks a bit more advanced than GCSE Maths. Hmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    The Black Scholes model is relevant if you are doing (advanced) financial management - equivalent to a high level professional accounting option paper

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.