Visit website
Original post by OreAdesoye
Business and Management at Stephenson College

HELLLOOO same!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoannaI-stone
HELLLOOO same!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile::biggrin::biggrin: That's so awesome. When are you going?
Hello, does anyone know what we will be provided with in our accommodation kitchen-wise? I'm in Butler's which is self catered, will we have to provide our own saucepans etc?
Original post by eleana11
Hello, does anyone know what we will be provided with in our accommodation kitchen-wise? I'm in Butler's which is self catered, will we have to provide our own saucepans etc?

Yeah bring your own pans, I am!
If I remember rightly from the post offer day they don't really provide much at all. The first years showing me around even had their own oven trays.
I think you pretty much just get a kettle. But someone who's actually there already may be able to correct me. Maybe the kitchen I saw was just in a bad way!
Accounting and Finance at Stephenson College :smile:
natural sciences (biology and chemistry) at university college!

anyone from castle had their accommodation allocations yet?? I haven't and really want to know :smile:

also, did everyone else get a thing in the post today about the Durham union and the Michaelmas ball.. the ball sounds fun but not sure if its as popular as it claims?! If it is I'd like to go but don't want to buy a ticket (for £70!!!!) before I start at durham if no one actually goes!
Reply 207
Original post by avb212

anyone from castle had their accommodation allocations yet?? I haven't and really want to know :smile:

also, did everyone else get a thing in the post today about the Durham union and the Michaelmas ball.. the ball sounds fun but not sure if its as popular as it claims?! If it is I'd like to go but don't want to buy a ticket (for £70!!!!) before I start at durham if no one actually goes!

was just about to ask this myself! £70 seems ridiculous!
Im doing Business and Management in Stephenson college but Im living in the mezzino apartments. Anyone else living there? Dont really know what to bring Kitchen wise and find out who we will be sharing apartments with?
Original post by avb212

The Union ball is awful, its expensive, queues are big and drinks are expensive.
Original post by ACCarnall
In Physics, one exam per module except for your lab module. Fourth year is 50/50 normal modules and project but I wouldn't worry about that too much yet! Its impossible for you to have any idea what you'd want to do your fourth year project on, you'll probably figure it out when the projects get announced at the end of third year, by that point you're essentially doing research and you just pick something interesting.

Ah is the lab module assessed by reports then? What's the diagnostic test like for Maths in term 1?

Collections exams are practice exam papers that don't count. You'll be very strongly encouraged to do the weekly problem sheets, but for people starting this year they won't actually count towards your grade as far as I can tell from the website. Genuinely though I expect them to use anything from emotional blackmail to dire threats of failure to get you to do the problem sheets, but if they don't count make sure you make understanding content your priority.

How hard are the problem sheets?

Exam questions and problem sheets are very similar, some lecturers (e.g. theoretical physics) like to set harder problem sheets than exams, astro tends to be the other way around. No essay questions as such, they certainly don't care about writing style except in lab reports. I have no idea what the environmental sustainability thing is and so far as I can tell its never had an adverse impact on my quality of life in Durham.

Ah, good. It's some thing we have to read through on the DUO.

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LucyW456
A*A*C?!
Oh right well at least you got through it all with a good grade :smile:
Yeh the people I know who did S2 said they way preferred it to S1. I really liked M2- my teacher was completely crazy (in a good way) which made lessons pretty entertaining too hehe :')
There's some info about the modules online- I think the 'maths toolkit for scientists' seems to be mainly practicing so increasing confidence in maths, I feel like I would benefit from taking it but I reeeally want to do the astronomy one :/ I started the maths workbook yesterday, it felt so weird doing work- my brain was so slow :L I've only done a bit but it's going ok so far- they highly recommend taking the maths toolkit for scientists if you get less than 50% of the heart questions right so I'm going to see how I do before choosing the extra module :smile:

Yeah, I was on a supported progression scheme because I'm from a 'deprived area', there typical offer was A*A*A. S2 actually had some integration, differentiation and stuff. I'm really tempted to do the Maths Toolkit, still not sure though. I started the Maths Workbook and I found it hard working, I just want to be having fun, I'm out of the routine :L So far it seemed okay, I'm only up to question 12 though :smile:
Original post by avb212

I think what you're referring to is the brochure from the Durham Union Society. The Durham Union Society (or DUS) is different to the Durham Students Union (or DSU, it is pretty confusing to be fair) and membership is entirely optional.

That said, it is £55 for a lifetime membership and they have a couple of free drink evenings per year so depending on how much you drink...

Even if you do sign up you don't have to attend the ball if you don't wish to (it is really expensive).
(edited 9 years ago)
How bad is moatside court? Just got allotted there. I did hear they did some renovations but I gather that it is rather notorious.
MFL at Grey!
Original post by jg1225
Grey for English. I am so excited!

I am grey too!
Original post by LucyW456
Me toooo (for both) :biggrin:

I'm going to be at grey as well but for MFL :smile:
Reply 217
Just wondering if any of you are in a similar situation or have any advice for me.. I have been given the maximum maintenance loan from student finance which I am entitled to but even with that it's not enough for me to even cover my accommodation costs, let alone food etc (at Stephenson College). Does this mean I'll have to pay the rest from my own pocket!? (it would be something like £1500). My family income is above £25,000 so I don't think I'd be able to apply for the Durham Grant Scheme, and I'm not sure of any other way of getting around it (it would be too demanding on my parents to ask them for some much). Would a part-time job be the way to go? :confused:
Filling in a form for college and they ask for my student number. Does anyone know what this is?
Is it my ucas number?
Original post by hats_off
Filling in a form for college and they ask for my student number. Does anyone know what this is?
Is it my ucas number?

I believe it is the pin heading your college offer email and the Applicant id in both you pre-cas and CAS emails. (for the latter two check the titles of the emails though it should also be in the body of the pre-cas one).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending