Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B in AS Physics: Is this bad if I want to do it at a Russell Group Uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAB as my AS results in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics respectively and I'm pretty upset about my B in Physics. I understand that these good results but I only wanted to do well in Maths and Physics so it's a bit hard for me to accept right now.
    I really want to do Physics at a Russel Group University and my preferences include UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Surrey and Imperial. I've come to acknowledge that Imperial seems like it's out of the picture now but I was wondering if the B in Physics hugely hinders my likelihood of getting into one of these Unis. I was predicted an A and I was only 4 UMS off the A grade. It came as a surprise to my Physics teacher when I got the B and I'm guessing that he'll write a good reference if that will help??
    Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumark)
    I got AAAB as my AS results in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics respectively and I'm pretty upset about my B in Physics. I understand that these good results but I only wanted to do well in Maths and Physics so it's a bit hard for me to accept right now.
    I really want to do Physics at a Russel Group University and my preferences include UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Surrey and Imperial. I've come to acknowledge that Imperial seems like it's out of the picture now but I was wondering if the B in Physics hugely hinders my likelihood of getting into one of these Unis. I was predicted an A and I was only 4 UMS off the A grade. It came as a surprise to my Physics teacher when I got the B and I'm guessing that he'll write a good reference if that will help??
    Thanks!!!
    Re-take it. Or try sending it off for re-mark first. But be aware - whatever re-mark grade you get (even if it's lower) will go through. How many points are you off A? If only by a few you should probably try and re-mark it or just re-take a module or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meduza)
    Retake it.
    I would but by the time I'd have done it again and received a hopefully better grade, I would have already applied to the Unis with the B

ReputationRep:
    I would but by the time I'd have done it again and received a hopefully better grade, I would have already applied to the Unis with the B
    See my edited post and no you wouldn't if you talk to your teachers and if they agree to predict you an A.

ReputationRep:
    Re-take it. Or try sending it off for re-mark first. But be aware - whatever re-mark grade you get (even if it's lower) will go through. How many points are you off A? If only by a few you should probably try and re-mark it or just re-take a module or something.
    Yeah I was going to go through the paper with a teacher to see if I could gain a few extra marks from a re-mark. I was 4 UMS off the A. I reckon I could get a better mark if I re-took but it wouldn't really assist me with the application process would it??? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was going to go through the paper with a teacher to see if I could gain a few extra marks from a re-mark. I was 4 UMS off the A. I reckon I could get a better mark if I re-took but it wouldn't really assist me with the application process would it??? thanks
    4? You should definitely try and re-mark it then, I'd figure... :P but see my post about talking to teachers too

ReputationRep:
    See my edited post and no you wouldn't if you talk to your teachers and if they agree to predict you an A.
    Haha sorry! So what you're saying is that the predicted grade would help me because to me it seems like they'll mainly look at my achieved grades? cheers

ReputationRep:
    Haha sorry! So what you're saying is that the predicted grade would help me because to me it seems like they'll mainly look at my achieved grades.. cheers
    No No No - you don't have to put forward your achieved grades... I'm pretty sure that it's not compulsory so talk to your teachers and ask them this and because if they were surprised about your achieved grade they would most likely predict you an A if you asked them and all you can do then is put your predicted grades forward without putting the achieved ones. :P Ask your school if you're allowed to just put predicted ones forward, for confirmation; but from my experience I didn't put achieved grades forward.

ReputationRep:
    No No No - you don't have to put forward your achieved grades... I'm pretty sure that it's not compulsory so talk to your teachers and ask them this and because if they were surprised about your achieved grade they would most likely predict you an A if you asked them and all you can do then is put your predicted grades forward without putting the achieved ones. :P Ask your school if you're allowed to just put predicted ones forward, for confirmation; but from my experience I didn't put achieved grades forward.
    Ah okay cheers!! I'll talk to them soon!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!!
    I got ABBB at AS in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature respectively. I decided to resit PH2 and PH3 but had to apply to universities with it as 'pending'. I got offers for Physics at the University of Leeds and the University of Liverpool (along with Lancaster which isn't Russell Group but is incredibly good for Physics.) I was rejected from Birmingham and Manchester which was no surprise but Manchester did offer me an integrated foundation year.

Yesterday I got AAB (Maths, Phys, Eng) meaning I could have got into Leeds and/or Liverpool but due to unexpected health issues during 6th form I'd declined those and decided to take up the foundation year at Manchester, which I got into

If I were you I'd resit but I can't help with which modules because I think they've changed the course for you guys? Getting into a Russell Group university is definitely still a possibility for you so don't let it get you down. Idk about those specifically though because I ignored all the unis in and around London i.e. UCL, Kings, Surrey, Imperial, and I don't like Nottingham itself so they weren't ones I looked into.

Basically, resit one that you think you could easily raise your marks in. I only did two because I had a low B but 4UMS will be easy. PH3 was honestly the easiest for me because we were studying for PH6 at the time so PH3 was a doddle tbh :L PH2 was also pretty easy though because all the things we'd studied were solid in my brain by then

Good luck with whatever you do x

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay cheers!! I'll talk to them soon!
    Great and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    I got ABBB at AS in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature respectively. I decided to resit PH2 and PH3 but had to apply to universities with it as 'pending'. I got offers for Physics at the University of Leeds and the University of Liverpool (along with Lancaster which isn't Russell Group but is incredibly good for Physics.) I was rejected from Birmingham and Manchester which was no surprise but Manchester did offer me an integrated foundation year.

Yesterday I got AAB (Maths, Phys, Eng) meaning I could have got into Leeds and/or Liverpool but due to unexpected health issues during 6th form I'd declined those and decided to take up the foundation year at Manchester, which I got into

If I were you I'd resit but I can't help with which modules because I think they've changed the course for you guys? Getting into a Russell Group university is definitely still a possibility for you so don't let it get you down. Idk about those specifically though because I ignored all the unis in and around London i.e. UCL, Kings, Surrey, Imperial, and I don't like Nottingham itself so they weren't ones I looked into.

Basically, resit one that you think you could easily raise your marks in. I only did two because I had a low B but 4UMS will be easy. PH3 was honestly the easiest for me because we were studying for PH6 at the time so PH3 was a doddle tbh :L PH2 was also pretty easy though because all the things we'd studied were solid in my brain by then

Good luck with whatever you do x
    Wow congrats! I didn't realise that I would be able to put 'pending' in my application so that's pretty cool, thanks! Yeah well I could retake my Unit 2 exam and I'm pretty sure I would improve my mark so thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Wow congrats! I didn't realise that I would be able to put 'pending' in my application so that's pretty cool, thanks! Yeah well I could retake my Unit 2 exam and I'm pretty sure I would improve my mark so thanks for the advice!
    Thanks Yep, I was worried it would screw me over or put unis off my application to have it that obvious that I was resitting but I got decent offers so I don't think it did (too much anyway). Talk to your teacher about the predicted grade if you're worried though No problem, good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at AS Physics (210 UMS, only 1 mark above a C but I didn't put my individual module scores on my application), applied for joint Maths/Physics at York, Liverpool, Glasgow, Loughborough and Edinburgh and got offers from the first 4 (withdrew from Edinburgh after getting the York offer I wanted). It is possible to get offers, especially if you got A's in everything else (I got AABB in Maths, F.Maths, Chem and Phys), have good predicted grades, good reference, interview performance etc. In your case, I'd probably add the module scores in your application, that way unis will know you were close to an A. You can resit if you believe it will improve your AS grade and you can handle the extra exams as well. That's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Adam__)
    I got a B at AS Physics (210 UMS, only 1 mark above a C but I didn't put my individual module scores on my application), applied for joint Maths/Physics at York, Liverpool, Glasgow, Loughborough and Edinburgh and got offers from the first 4 (withdrew from Edinburgh after getting the York offer I wanted). It is possible to get offers, especially if you got A's in everything else (I got AABB in Maths, F.Maths, Chem and Phys), have good predicted grades, good reference, interview performance etc. In your case, I'd probably add the module scores in your application, that way unis will know you were close to an A.
    Ah that's relieving to hear! Some other teachers told me to do the same yesterday too so thanks for the advice pal

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's relieving to hear! Some other teachers told me to do the same yesterday too so thanks for the advice pal
    np, resitting really helped me as I completely screwed up unit 1 (74/120, C grade). Resat this year and got 110. AS physics seemed a lot easier looking back on it during A2 so improving the grade wasn't that hard. If you've got a module you know you can improve, I'd recommend resitting, it helped to get me from a B/C boundary AS grade to an A* at A2.

ReputationRep:
    I got A in Maths and B in Physics too (also 4 ums off an A)
    I got a C in PH3 which dragged me down so I'm just gonna resit PH3 which shouldn't be too bad

You can still get A in A2 so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanRigg96#)
    I got A in Maths and B in Physics too (also 4 ums off an A)
    I got a C in PH3 which dragged me down so I'm just gonna resit PH3 which shouldn't be too bad

You can still get A in A2 so don't worry!
    Haha yeah!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.