Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've met and exceeded my offer to study Pharmacy at UCL, I got A*A*A in psychology biology and chemistry respectively and an A in AS English literature. I had initially wanted to do dentistry but because of my poor AS grades I didn't and applied for pharmacy instead. Now I feel like pharmacy would be a waste of my grades?

Do you guys think i should reapply next year for dentistry, or would the chances of me getting in still be slim? This would obviously require taking a gap year which I have a lot of pros and cons for...

Also, if I do take a gap year does anybody have an idea of what kind of work/experience I can take? I was thinking about some kind of sciency or clinical placement?

Hope you all got results you're happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmax1234)
    So I've met and exceeded my offer to study Pharmacy at UCL, I got A*A*A in psychology biology and chemistry respectively and an A in AS English literature. I had initially wanted to do dentistry but because of my poor AS grades I didn't and applied for pharmacy instead. Now I feel like pharmacy would be a waste of my grades?

Do you guys think i should reapply next year for dentistry, or would the chances of me getting in still be slim? This would obviously require taking a gap year which I have a lot of pros and cons for...

Also, if I do take a gap year does anybody have an idea of what kind of work/experience I can take? I was thinking about some kind of sciency or clinical placement?

DEFINITELY REAPPLY!!!!
    IF dentistry is what you want to do, DO NOT DO PHARMACY.
    Plenty of people take gap years for dentistry so you won't be the only one, not by a long shot.
    If dentistry is what you want to do, you will probably HATE pharmacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmax1234)

It's important to realise that grades are not the number 1 priority when applying to med/dent school. In fact, the most important factor is your interview and personal statement. Grades are more of a checklist, but achieving better grades than required is looked back on if the school has to choose between 2 applicants who they think performed just as well as each other during interview, etc.

What I would suggest you do is, If you do not mind taking a gap year, then do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.