Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i kind of struggle to gain speed fast when taking off watch

ReputationRep:
    when i say fast, i mean adequately fast such as. not going fast enough after traffic lights when your about to emerge into a dual carriageway.

i have had 9 hours now, and its taken me a good while to not stall with the clutch when taking off, i usually took my foot off the biting point too quick and the engine stalls.

i have corrected this now, but i am still kinda slow getting into 2nd gear because im trying to be really careful with the clutch and accelerator when taking off - for fear i might put the clutch up too quickly

should i just put my foot down alot more on accelerator when going from 1st to 2nd?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to fly....

1) set revs to something silly like 3000-4000
    2) off the clutch normally
    3) foot down between 1st and 2nd
    4) Fast shift into 2nd, clutch up fast, but not too fast the car jolts
    5) foot down between 2nd and 3rd

You should shift gear near the 4000-5000 mark, this will give MAX acceleration, but over time will mess up the engine.

But like I said, you will fly.

ReputationRep:
    If your going fast enough you aren't likely to stalk going into second gear. As you go to higher gears you can get off the clutch quicker and quicker

ReputationRep:
    This comes naturally, I had this problem and its most likely because you spend too long finding the bite in first gear.

The above posters technique will work but will be very noise, use a lot of petrol and damage the engine.

It will come in time.

ReputationRep:
    When going into second 2-3 thousand revs is enough you shudnt stall unless you take an awful long time changing gear and the speed of the car falls too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown_user)
    When going into second 2-3 thousand revs is enough you shudnt stall unless you take an awful long time changing gear and the speed of the car falls too much

But he wants to fly

Honestly he should go to the red line, if he wants to drag race out. But his tyres, engine, gearbox will all be kaput in no time.

ReputationRep:
    Above 1st gear, you can just bring the clutch to the biting point for less than a second a let go,

and race off if you hesitate to prevent crazy van drivers to overtake.

its fun and pretty safe

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.