Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I (try to) learn Dutch in my spare time and would like to meet other people who learn Dutch or who speak Dutch. There must be some Dutch or Belgian students at Keele!

ReputationRep:
    I would love to learn Dutch and already know very basic Dutch!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creative_thinker)
    I would love to learn Dutch and already know very basic Dutch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been learning (kind of) for years but only properly for about a year. I understand grammar and sentence structure and the theory of the language, but my vocab isn't brilliant. My main problem, though, is that I never get to practise listening or speaking it (listening to Dutch radio is quite a fun challenge!). Which year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2nd year now. I was born in Holland and my father is Dutch but I've lived in England since I was 4 so can't speak it. I understand a lot of it because of my family over there speaking it to me though.

Why do you want to learn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2nd year now. I was born in Holland and my father is Dutch but I've lived in England since I was 4 so can't speak it. I understand a lot of it because of my family over there speaking it to me though.

Why do you want to learn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going into 2nd year. What do you study? Oh wow! I don't have any connection with Holland but I have friends in Belgium - they got me interested in learning Dutch. I'm glad I did, I love languages and Dutch is really fun to learn

ReputationRep:
    How are you learning though? I did a basic course in Amsterdam but since then I haven't been able to find lessons in England? My brother is going to be starting a masters at Keele in September too and can speak better Dutch then I can

ReputationRep:
    How are you learning though? I did a basic course in Amsterdam but since then I haven't been able to find lessons in England? My brother is going to be starting a masters at Keele in September too and can speak better Dutch then I can
    I listen to some Dutch songs and radio (I found the film Ja Zuster, Nee Zuster recently and I love it!) which helps with pronunciation stuff. I also have a book (Hugo's Dutch in Three Months) which helps with the grammar and some vocab. Most recently I've just been looking at blogs to suggest the best ways to improve my ability to apply the language in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's really cool. What do you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's really cool. What do you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I study Geography but I'm hoping to switch to Physical Geography and Geology. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Human Resource Management and International Business

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Human Resource Management and International Business
    I don't think I know anyone on either of those courses Were you in halls last year?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I lived in Hawthorns, you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I lived in Hawthorns, you?
    Me too! Block R

ReputationRep:
    I was in M block

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was in M block

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You probably walked past my room a thousand times haha my room was on the ground floor overlooked the launderette. Everyone walked past

ReputationRep:
    I hated the walk in the rain to the laundrette! I bet it was easy for you

ReputationRep:
    I hated the walk in the rain to the laundrette! I bet it was easy for you
    Indeed! And I could keep an eye on how long was left haha

ReputationRep:
    My brother is better at Dutch then I am and would like to learn more as well. He's told me to give you his email address ([email protected]) if you want to meet up when you get there and learn together His name is Rob, I'm Denice btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My brother is better at Dutch then I am and would like to learn more as well. He's told me to give you his email address ([email protected]) if you want to meet up when you get there and learn together His name is Rob, I'm Denice btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, is there an option to study the Dutch language in Keele as an extra activity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's not unfortunately :/ they only do french, german, Spanish, Russian & chinese I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.