Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if theres anyway of knowing who your neighbour is and what type of flats you've got? if I'm F2, does that mean F3 is the flat next to me or does it work in another way?

I know its a bit of a dumb question but I'm just curious. Is there anyway of knowing whether your flat is mixed sex or single sex, the colour scheme of it and all those other tiny details, or do you just have to wait till you get there?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can find your flatmates on the various facebook groups out there for freshers. Everyone's just getting their offers now so it shouldn't be long until you find someone.
    The only way of finding out the colour scheme is either by finding someone who was in the flat last year or by phoning up accommodation services and asking. I know a few people who did this, they also let them know whether it was single or mixed sex flats too.

If you're in F2 that means you're in F block on the second floor. So F1 will be below you and F3 will be above you. The flat opposite you will be E2 and you'll share a foyer area, you'll be able to knock on their door. Depending on what kind of building layout your apartments have you may also share a wall and be connected to G2 but shouldn't be able to get through to them. Again, it depends on your apartments, there may not even be a G block.
    I was in a G4 flat and we had a door at the end of our corridor that connected us to the F4 flat but it was only open during fire alarms (in case it's the safest route out) at other times it was locked and the only way we could get in was by going outside and them letting us in through the entrance to E/F block.

edit: also, if you find someone in your block or on your floor who is in single/mixed sex don't assume your flat will be the same. My flat was single sex but we were surrounded by mixed sex flats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waterlilyy)
    You can find your flatmates on the various facebook groups out there for freshers. Everyone's just getting their offers now so it shouldn't be long until you find someone.
    The only way of finding out the colour scheme is either by finding someone who was in the flat last year or by phoning up accommodation services and asking. I know a few people who did this, they also let them know whether it was single or mixed sex flats too.

If you're in F2 that means you're in F block on the second floor. So F1 will be below you and F3 will be above you. The flat opposite you will be E2 and you'll share a foyer area, you'll be able to knock on their door. Depending on what kind of building layout your apartments have you may also share a wall and be connected to G2 but shouldn't be able to get through to them. Again, it depends on your apartments, there may not even be a G block.
    I was in a G4 flat and we had a door at the end of our corridor that connected us to the F4 flat but it was only open during fire alarms (in case it's the safest route out) at other times it was locked and the only way we could get in was by going outside and them letting us in through the entrance to E/F block.

edit: also, if you find someone in your block or on your floor who is in single/mixed sex don't assume your flat will be the same. My flat was single sex but we were surrounded by mixed sex flats.
    Thank you for all the helpful info! I might end up calling the accommodation services too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.