Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an oversea student who is going to attend Year 9 this September and I think my GCSE will be really important so I do need to prepare for that.

-The school that I'm going to attend has 46% A* from 2013,are they at least decent?(80% A*/A)
    -I'm planning to take 10 subjects(Maths,Physics,Biology,C hemistry,Statistics,ICT,Economic s,Geography,English Language and English Literature),from the list do you think they are enough for Chemical Engineering at the university of Cambridge or not?I need to get at least 6A*s to apply the sixth form college that I want.
    -Some students take Additional Mathematics,how will I be able to take them? and is it counted as subject?
    -Computer Science or ICT,which one do you prefer? and why?

I'm starting to read and revise my GCSEs so I really so need to know which subject am i going to take so thank you for the answer.
    And also in the Year 9,I need to choose between studying French or Spanish,which one should I choose?(I know nothing about them),I want the easier one so I can have more time to read my GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello! First of all, welcome to TSR! The GCSE's that you're choosing all look great and fine for chemical engineering.

Not all schools offer additional maths, so I'd check with you're school first. If they do, it's usually only offered to the top set or two.

IT and computing are both really good subjects but computing is probably more advanced. IT is about using computers, whereas computing is learning how to program it. Go with whichever one sounds more interesting to you, but I'd recommend computing.

Honestly, Spanish is easier than French but not by much. It won't make a difference which language you pick as they're both fairly similar, so I'd pick one that you like the sound of or where you'd like to live in the future.

If you have any more questions then don't hesitate to ask me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you have any more questions, or want to know about the year 9 thread, then go here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2505043

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaisyTwilight)
    Hello! First of all, welcome to TSR! The GCSE's that you're choosing all look great and fine for chemical engineering.

Not all schools offer additional maths, so I'd check with you're school first. If they do, it's usually only offered to the top set or two.

IT and computing are both really good subjects but computing is probably more advanced. IT is about using computers, whereas computing is learning how to program it. Go with whichever one sounds more interesting to you, but I'd recommend computing.

Honestly, Spanish is easier than French but not by much. It won't make a difference which language you pick as they're both fairly similar, so I'd pick one that you like the sound of or where you'd like to live in the future.

If you have any more questions then don't hesitate to ask me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes,my school does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasertroller)
    Yes,my school does
    They'll probably tell you more about additional maths when you start then, especially if you're doing well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'm an oversea student who is going to attend Year 9 this September and I think my GCSE will be really important so I do need to prepare for that.

-The school that I'm going to attend has 46% A* from 2013,are they at least decent?(80% A*/A)
    -I'm planning to take 10 subjects(Maths,Physics,Biology,C hemistry,Statistics,ICT,Economic s,Geography,English Language and English Literature),from the list do you think they are enough for Chemical Engineering at the university of Cambridge or not?I need to get at least 6A*s to apply the sixth form college that I want.
    -Some students take Additional Mathematics,how will I be able to take them? and is it counted as subject?

I'm starting to read and revise my GCSEs so I really so need to know which subject am i going to take so thank you for the answer.
    And also in the Year 9,I need to choose between studying French or Spanish,which one should I choose?(I know nothing about them),I want the easier one so I can have more time to read my GCSEs.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi! Firstly, welcome to :tsr:. I'm karmacrunch and I'm in Year 9 (going to Year 10). I also want to go to Cambridge but to do NatSci or Medicine. Chemical Engineering does sound very interesting though!

1. 80% A*/A is very good but could explain what you mean. Do you mean that 80% of the students get A*s/As and also 46% just get A*s at GCSE?

2. They should be fine for Chemical Engineering. You have Geography, Statistics & IT AS your options right? They should be fine. It is the subjects in which you get A*s that are important though. Getting them in the core subjects (for you and I particularly in the sciences and maths & stats).

3. Ad maths is a subject. I think I'm going to be doing it but we haven't been told yet. As every school is different you might want to ask how/if you can take it.

4. I think CompSci is regarded more than IT. I would take Computer Science because you it is more relevant e.g. programming etc. However, I do like IT and the things you do in the subject (although I'm not taking it). It's your choice after all.

I did French (along with German and Mandarin) out of the two languages you are thinking of. I can't really answer as that'd be biased and I've been learning or for a while. I think I'm finding German the easiest in some bits though. I can ask others for you though!

I hope this helps and ask any questions! Also, remember that GCSEs are important still but for Cambridge they look at A-Levels more. Do try your best though!

karmacrunch x
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Hi! Firstly, welcome to :tsr:. I'm karmacrunch and I'm in Year 9 (going to Year 10). I also want to go to Cambridge but to do NatSci or Medicine. Chemical Engineering does sound very interesting though!

1. 80% A*/A is very good but could explain what you mean. Do you mean that 80% of the students get A*s/As and also 46% just get A*s at GCSE?

2. They should be fine for Chemical Engineering. You have Geography, Statistics & IT AS your options right? They should be fine. It is the subjects in which you get A*s that are important though. Getting them in the core subjects (for you and I particularly in the sciences and maths & stats).

3. Ad maths is a subject. I think I'm going to be doing it but we haven't been told yet. As every school is different you might want to ask how/if you can take it.

4. I think CompSci is regarded more than IT. I would take Computer Science because you it is more relevant e.g. programming etc. However, I do like IT and the things you do in the subject (although I'm not taking it). It's your choice after all.

I did French (along with German and Mandarin) out of the two languages you are thinking of. I can't really answer as that'd be biased and I've been learning or for a while. I think I'm finding German the easiest in some bits though. I can ask others for you though!

I hope this helps and ask any questions! Also, remember that GCSEs are important still but for Cambridge they look at A-Levels more. Do try your best though!

karmacrunch x
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes,I think it means 46% of subjects that students took was A*.

12 subjects at GCSEs are so attractive but I think it will be a bit risky,is it worth trying?

And still,is additional maths counted as subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh,sorry I forgot to inform that addition maths is FSMQ's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yes,I think it means 46% of subjects that students took was A*.

12 subjects at GCSEs are so attractive but I think it will be a bit risky,is it worth trying?

And still,is additional maths counted as subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just 46% of the subjects? Do you mean that 46% of the students gained all A*s at GCSE? Sorry, I'm still trying to understand this.

I'm taking about 14 at the moment. You should be fine. Just plan yourself carefully and stick to deadlines. Revise as you go.

It's a subject yes and gives you a qualification yes. I don't think that it's a GCSE though but I can ask for you.
    Oh,sorry I forgot to inform that addition maths is FSMQ's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's fine.
    Here's the link to it-
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...hematics-6993/

It's done on AQA or OCR I think but usually on OCR.
    FSMQ stands for Free Standing Maths Qualifications btw.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Just 46% of the subjects? Do you mean that 46% of the students gained all A*s at GCSE? Sorry, I'm still trying to understand this.

I'm taking about 14 at the moment. You should be fine. Just plan yourself carefully and stick to deadlines. Revise as you go.

It's a subject yes and gives you a qualification yes. I don't think that it's a GCSE though but I can ask for you.

That's fine.
    Here's the link to it-
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...hematics-6993/

It's done on AQA or OCR I think but usually on OCR.
    FSMQ stands for Free Standing Maths Qualifications btw.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it means for an example AVERAGE students who chose 10 subjects got about 5 subjects as A*.I'm not sure though but I just want to know if my school is at least decent or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I think it means for an example average students who chose 10 subjects got about 5 subjects as A*.I'm not sure though but I just want to know if my school is at least decent or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay. It does seem okay from that but I'm not sure though. What about the other 5 subjects? However, if it is 80% A*/A it is pretty good.

Remember that it is the individual's contribution! The teacher can show you how to do everything etc. but it is you that needs to apply it. That's how you'll get those A*s you want!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Computer Science - Programming, learning how computers work, how to develop a program

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.