Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just hearing of this "Fresher's Flu" from browsing this section of the forum. Wiki says about 90% of students get it within the first few weeks of university. How true is it? Does anyone have experience with it and how did you regain health? Is there anyway to prevent it?

ReputationRep:
    90%? Absolute rubbish. It's just the mix of people being incredibly hungover and the constant close contact inside cramped clubs which people get colds from. Also, the introduction of international students can spread these. No one in my flat fell ill from it and I knew very few people who actually did fall ill. It's not actual flu - just the common cold so there's no real prevention really, just try and not get too close to infected people and be wary in sweaty clubs.

I didn't get it, but I did get a case of awful diarrhoea, but this was the outcome of eating an abysmal Chinese takeaway. Needless to say we've never eaten from there again. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I think basically it's just the common cold/feeling rubbish for a few days. Bring cold+flu medicine and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It's not actually the flu, just a cold due to the habitual consumption of alcohol on a daily basis for a week combined with the close quarters you'll have with hundreds of people. Not sure about prevention as you're going to meet a lot of new people regardless of your drinking habit, and as for the 90% figure, that is why Wiki will never be regarded as a credible source.

ReputationRep:
    I got 'fresher's flu' (ie a cold) only in my 3rd year at uni. I don't think I know anyone who got it 1st year...

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.