Atomic structure: Chlorine, Aufbau principle Watch

Amphiprion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am teaching myself AS and A2 chem from scratch for the first time in 7 years. A bit confused regarding atomic structure, specifically electron filling of energy levels and the illustration (Picture took 2 seconds on paint excuse quality).

All the images of Chlorine atoms I found online have distributed electrons as follows:

1st energy level: 2 e-
2nd energy level: 8 e-
3rd energy level: 7 e-

When considering the Aufbau principle, should this not be 2, 8, 6, 1 (occupying 4 energy levels, not 3).

My reason for thinking this is the skipping of filling d orbitals until after the S orbital of the next energy level. In the image above occupied orbitals are: 1S2, 2S2, 2P6, 3S2, 3P6, 4S1

The final electron occupying orbital 4S because 4S posseses lower energy than the 3D orbitals. However, all the images online seem to suggest it just goes ahead and occupies the first 3D orbital meaning 7 electrons on the 3rd energy level, none occupying the 4th.

I was assuming that is just a simplified method of illustrating the atom for lower levels like GCSE but realised Chlorine is found in group 7 and period 3 on the periodic table which also suggests 3 energy levels with 7 electrons occupying the highest energy level.
Attached files
Farseer
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amphiprion)
When considering the Aufbau principle, should this not be 2, 8, 6, 1 (occupying 4 energy levels, not 3).
17 electrons

My reason for thinking this is the skipping of filling d orbitals until after the S orbital of the next energy level. In the image above occupied orbitals are: 1S2, 2S2, 2P6, 3S2, 3P6, 4S1
19 electrons
Tytrox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you look at a periodic table, then Cl has a atomic number of 17, so it has 17 electrons, occupying 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p5. Therefore the simper version on the internet is correct
Amphiprion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Farseer)
17 electrons

19 electrons
Face. ****ing. Palm.

How I managed that I do not know.
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At least you didn't waste more than two seconds doing your paint jobs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (155)
18.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (82)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (141)
16.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (119)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.48%
How can I be the best version of myself? (257)
30.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed