Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! sorry this message is gonna be long but i'm so confused and really need some help! :confused:

Got my AS results: high C in maths (2 marks off a B, so going to remark, and if it doesn't go up, resit stats) , High A in econ, A in Biology, and B in chemistry (resitting unit 2 to bring this up to an A.)

i was looking to apply for medicine, but can't with these grades. I'm so lost and scared because my whole life plan followed a career in medicine, i've done so much research and work experience to make sure it was a course i really wanted, and i'm set on making my dreams come true!

My plan now is to apply this year for a related course such as biomed, so I can convert to medicine afterwards. However if my grades are really great, and I manage to do well in the resit, I will reject any offers, take a gap year and apply for medicine later.

My questions are
    - what courses are similar to medicine (that will give me a career with a secure job with pay to comfortably support a family and also has the contact with people and science aspect)
    - what do you think about doing biomed with law (if i changed my mind during the biomed course and decided not to apply for medicine afterwards)
    - what advice would you have about a gap year if i'm financially challenged

Please help as much as you cann!!! (even answering just one question is greatly appreciated- i'm sorry for demanding a lot in one post) thanks guys xxx
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by paradisecitykid)
    Hi everyone! sorry this message is gonna be long but i'm so confused and really need some help! :confused:

Got my AS results: high C in maths (2 marks off a B, so going to remark, and if it doesn't go up, resit stats) , High A in econ, A in Biology, and B in chemistry (resitting unit 2 to bring this up to an A.)

i was looking to apply for medicine, but can't with these grades. I'm so lost and scared because my whole life plan followed a career in medicine, i've done so much research and work experience to make sure it was a course i really wanted, and i'm set on making my dreams come true!

My plan now is to apply this year for a related course such as biomed, so I can convert to medicine afterwards. However if my grades are really great, and I manage to do well in the resit, I will reject any offers, take a gap year and apply for medicine later.

My questions are
    - what courses are similar to medicine (that will give me a career with a secure job with pay to comfortably support a family and also has the contact with people and science aspect)
    - what do you think about doing biomed with law (if i changed my mind during the biomed course and decided not to apply for medicine afterwards)

Please help as much as you cann!!! (even answering just one question is greatly appreciated- i'm sorry for demanding a lot in one post) thanks guys xxx
    Hiya!

I've moved this to medicine for you

I'm going to quote in a couple of medicine mods who'll be able to advise you too - they are very knowledgable

(Original post by neostigmine)
    x
    (Original post by hype en ecosse)
    x
    Good luck
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

My questions are

Hi buddy, I'm just wondering why you think you can't apply to medicine? AABC aren't precluding grades, and you can always resit a small few modules - medical schools do allow you to do this, but you'll have to check with the schools you want to apply to first (for example, some won't accept ANY resitting, some will only let you resit 1 or 2 modules). Just do your research and apply smart!

Questions:
    What courses are similar to medicine?
    All healthcare professional degrees share a lot of similarities: for example, almost all HCPs have "contact with people and a science aspect", but differ from medicine in more key areas than these.

Biomed with law
    It's a bit of a queer combination, but why not? I'm curious as to why you picked law as your "side" specifically.
    If you want to go on to medicine as a graduate, you don't need to do biomed. You can do any life science degree (or any degree, but with more limited application options)

What to do on gap year?
    Work, volunteer, shadow and enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:

You can still apply to medicine with these grades as long as you are predicted AAA and pick med schools that aren't as fussy about AS grades (e.g. manchester)

This is a sensible plan, you will be in stronger position after achieving AAA at A2. Be careful with how many resits you do, you will be fine if it is only one unit (possibly 2, but check) per subject and done within the 2 years.

My questions are

Courses that can lead to similar careers are: radiography, physiotherapy, pharmacology/pharmacy, paramedic science, optometry. All of these are acceptable for a number of GEPs as well as biomed; check the entry requirements.

You can do law with a degree in any subject (I work at a law firm in summer hols so know a lot about this!) and convert with the graduate diploma in law in 1 year full time. Although this is a bit of an odd backup for medicine, and you would probably have to go to a good uni to have a chance when it came to getting a training contract after the GDL.

RE: gap year. You do not have to do anything during your gap year that costs a lot of money. Unis actually prefer it if you've found productive stuff to do that's not handed to you on a plate because you've paid money for a 'gap year experience'. I spent mine working (paid), getting work experience and volunteering (free), so was actually quids-in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, with my results I got:
    Chemistry -A
    Physics - A
    Maths - B
    Biology - C (but I'm having it remarked)

I might re-sit 1 or 2 modules for maths, but I don't know what subject to drop for medicine; biology or physics?
    any opinions would be very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amajid1001)
    I'm in a similar situation, with my results I got:
    Chemistry -A
    Physics - A
    Maths - B
    Biology - C (but I'm having it remarked)

I might re-sit 1 or 2 modules for maths, but I don't know what subject to drop for medicine; biology or physics?
    any opinions would be very helpful!

From the research i've done i would definitely drop physics! because quite a few med schools require biology. You could see what happens with the remark, or maybe resit a module.
    However since physics is where you've got the A, you could probably continue with that and just make sure you do thorough checks with the entry requirements.

good luck!!!xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Hi buddy, I'm just wondering why you think you can't apply to medicine? AABC aren't precluding grades, and you can always resit a small few modules - medical schools do allow you to do this, but you'll have to check with the schools you want to apply to first (for example, some won't accept ANY resitting, some will only let you resit 1 or 2 modules). Just do your research and apply smart!

Questions:
    All healthcare professional degrees share a lot of similarities: for example, almost all HCPs have "contact with people and a science aspect", but differ from medicine in more key areas than these.

Biomed with law
    It's a bit of a queer combination, but why not? I'm curious as to why you picked law as your "side" specifically.
    If you want to go on to medicine as a graduate, you don't need to do biomed. You can do any life science degree (or any degree, but with more limited application options)

What to do on gap year?

wow thank you so much!! will definitely take your advice into consideration. You've made me feel a lot better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)

Questions:

Biomed with law

What to do on gap year?

Tbh i haven't thought about law that much, but i always had it in my mind as something that could possibly be of interest to me. I really enjoy the problem solving aspect but i dont know too much about it, so i'd see what to do after i finished the biomed course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    You can still apply to medicine with these grades as long as you are predicted AAA and pick med schools that aren't as fussy about AS grades (e.g. manchester)

This is a sensible plan, you will be in stronger position after achieving AAA at A2. Be careful with how many resits you do, you will be fine if it is only one unit (possibly 2, but check) per subject and done within the 2 years.

Courses that can lead to similar careers are: radiography, physiotherapy, pharmacology/pharmacy, paramedic science, optometry. All of these are acceptable for a number of GEPs as well as biomed; check the entry requirements.

You can do law with a degree in any subject (I work at a law firm in summer hols so know a lot about this!) and convert with the graduate diploma in law in 1 year full time. Although this is a bit of an odd backup for medicine, and you would probably have to go to a good uni to have a chance when it came to getting a training contract after the GDL.

RE: gap year. You do not have to do anything during your gap year that costs a lot of money. Unis actually prefer it if you've found productive stuff to do that's not handed to you on a plate because you've paid money for a 'gap year experience'. I spent mine working (paid), getting work experience and volunteering (free), so was actually quids-in.

thank you for all your help!! will definitely look into getting a job and carrying on my volunteering

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.