The Student Room Group

What to do about my AS results? Can I still do dentistry?

So we received our AS level results yesterday, unfortunately I didn't do so well

Biology: C
Maths: E
Chemistry: E
English Lit: B

I lost motivation this year and feel I didn't work to my true potential, If anything this has driven me to try harder and I still hope to go into dentistry. I know I can do better. I don't know whether I should retake my AS level course again or carry on to A2 and do retakes in some AS modules? If I do retake my year in a different college (as my sixth form won't offer it), will uni's frown upon it? Does anyone have any suggestions? :frown:
This is a hard one to call. You could try and get your teachers to predict you a high grade at A2, but will they move from CEE to AAA? Even if they do, the competition will be so strong you most probably won't get an offer anyway (as many people even with AAA find out). The workload from A2 is horrendous, especially for biology (BY5 OMG), so you would have to work hard to do both A2 modules and resits. If it were any other course I would say resit the year, however a lot of dentistry schools don't consider students who have taken longer than 2 years to complete their AS and A2 levels. There are some who do though, check on the uni websites to see which will allow it. The following webpage should help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements If you can find 4 unis that take your fancy and allow resits I would say carry on with your A2 modules this year and resit some AS units. You could always resit modules after your A2 modules if you need to! =) Most importantly keep motivated and work hard for what you want! =) I wish you luck in the future and I hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Pendulum96
This is a hard one to call. You could try and get your teachers to predict you a high grade at A2, but will they move from CEE to AAA? Even if they do, the competition will be so strong you most probably won't get an offer anyway (as many people even with AAA find out). The workload from A2 is horrendous, especially for biology (BY5 OMG), so you would have to work hard to do both A2 modules and resits. If it were any other course I would say resit the year, however a lot of dentistry schools don't consider students who have taken longer than 2 years to complete their AS and A2 levels. There are some who do though, check on the uni websites to see which will allow it. The following webpage should help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements If you can find 4 unis that take your fancy and allow resits I would say carry on with your A2 modules this year and resit some AS units. You could always resit modules after your A2 modules if you need to! =) Most importantly keep motivated and work hard for what you want! =) I wish you luck in the future and I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it :smile: If I was to resit modules what will happen about my predicted grades? Because if they are low I won't be accepted when I reply for UCAS anyways right? Also If I resit my Chem exams would it really be possible to bring it up from a E to a A? Thanks again for the help! :smile:
Original post by muphasa
Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it :smile: If I was to resit modules what will happen about my predicted grades? Because if they are low I won't be accepted when I reply for UCAS anyways right? Also If I resit my Chem exams would it really be possible to bring it up from a E to a A? Thanks again for the help! :smile:

No problem you're welcome :smile: If you tell your teachers you are resitting modules then your predicted grades will definitely shoot up. It's about convincing your teachers that you are an A grade student who say didn't put as much work in as they should have. I know people in my year (just finished year 13) who had E and even U grades at AS and were predicted As at a level. Your teachers will predict you high grades if you convince them that you are capable (especially if you have good classwork/a good GCSE result in the subjects).
Try to get them up to As if you can (as you are correct in saying that dental schools will almost certainly not over you a place if you are not predicted the required grades).
If you can't get them up, and you are still really keen on dentistry, you could think about doing a degree and applying for dentistry as a post graduate. Look on the university websites, but most of them say any science related degree is suitable.
Or if you aren't predicted the As and end up achieving them at A level, you could always take a gap year and apply with your A levels (this will even give you an advantage over the year 12 students you are competing with) :smile:. Whatever you do, make sure you work hard at your A levels (here is a tip, start revising just after Christmas, trust me you'll be glad you did come May/June!) :smile: Yes it is possible to boost your chemistry grade, but make sure you start working towards the exam early!
But as I say, start by trying your best to get your predicted grades up. Sorry about the essay, just trying to give you as much info as possible! :smile: Good luck!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Pendulum96
No problem you're welcome :smile: If you tell your teachers you are resitting modules then your predicted grades will definitely shoot up. It's about convincing your teachers that you are an A grade student who say didn't put as much work in as they should have. I know people in my year (just finished year 13) who had E and even U grades at AS and were predicted As at a level. Your teachers will predict you high grades if you convince them that you are capable (especially if you have good classwork/a good GCSE result in the subjects).
Try to get them up to As if you can (as you are correct in saying that dental schools will almost certainly not over you a place if you are not predicted the required grades).
If you can't get them up, and you are still really keen on dentistry, you could think about doing a degree and applying for dentistry as a post graduate. Look on the university websites, but most of them say any science related degree is suitable.
Or if you aren't predicted the As and end up achieving them at A level, you could always take a gap year and apply with your A levels (this will even give you an advantage over the year 12 students you are competing with) :smile:. Whatever you do, make sure you work hard at your A levels (here is a tip, start revising just after Christmas, trust me you'll be glad you did come May/June!) :smile: Yes it is possible to boost your chemistry grade, but make sure you start working towards the exam early!
But as I say, start by trying your best to get your predicted grades up. Sorry about the essay, just trying to give you as much info as possible! :smile: Good luck!!

Once again thank you so much for all the help! I think what you have said is probably the best option right now as uni's will deffo say no if I take 3 years to complete my AS. I'll discuss with my teachers if retakes and higher predictions can be arranged and look more into applying as a post graduate. Thanks a lot for your help, wish you the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest