Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So Results Day came and went and unfortunately I was one of those with disappointing results. I had planned to achieve decent A's and B's all round but that wasn't the case.

In Maths I got a B, in History and Creative Writing I got D's and in Physics I got a dreadful E. I'll be dropping Physics next year obviously but in order to get into an Economics course in Uni I need ABB next year.

I was wondering if it was possible to raise the D grades to a B and if there are any similar stories with a happy ending, please do share.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by samktran)
    So Results Day came and went and unfortunately I was one of those with disappointing results. I had planned to achieve decent A's and B's all round but that wasn't the case.

In Maths I got a B, in History and Creative Writing I got D's and in Physics I got a dreadful E. I'll be dropping Physics next year obviously but in order to get into an Economics course in Uni I need ABB next year.

I was wondering if it was possible to raise the D grades to a B and if there are any similar stories with a happy ending, please do share.
    Hi, I understand how you must feel about being disappointed by your results but don't let that stop you from achieving what you want to in life!

Now with regards to your question, it is possible to raise your grades from Ds to Bs, however if you're not planning on resitting any modules then you'd have to score almost perfect marks in your A2 exams, so I'd suggest you consider resitting at least one exam.

Here's a quote my mum has told me when I was studying my A levels, "You can achieve anything if you set your mind on it enough." I believe this phrase is very true as if you wanted to study an Economics degree next year, then you'd not let anything stand in your way

Hope this helps and that you get into where you want next year!

ReputationRep:
    I was in your position last year with two D's in my biology exams at AS, however resat both exams, so basically did the whole a level on one year as I completely re taught myself, and brought the D's up to an A and a B. It is possible but you have to work really hard for it as now there's no more January exams you sit them all at the same time so have to make sure you put in the work for all exams and not just focus on the resits. But it is definitely possible 😀

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that you're disappointed however you're only a lower sixth student therefore you and improve these results!

Like yourself when i was in AS i was disappointed in my results i studied Maths and achieved an E, Physics and got a U (Failed all units and didn't turn up to a resit), ICT where i got a C and Graphic design where i got a D. As you can see these results are appalling and i was contemplating whether to return to college!

However with support from my tutors I came to a conclusion (which then changed) to sit a third year and carry on with two A2's and two NEW AS Levels - so in my second year i would study A2 Graphics and ICT and study AS Photography and Business! This works out so in your third year i would have studied A2 Photography and Business! So i would have dropped physics and maths and study Graphics, IT, Photography and Business, confusing right?

This is where it gets complicated! Being the mug i am i then changed my mind and thought i do not want to sit a third year therefore i then dropped photography and business however that meant i would not get into uni therefore as i wouldn't have enough ucas points! So once again i then went to my tutors! So then we came to the decision where i'd carry on with A2 IT and A2 Graphics and study Film studies in a year. So at this point i was studying A2 Graphics and ICT as well as doing AS and A2 Film studies in a year - WHAAAAT?

As a result of doing the third year i achieved BCC and have got a place in my firm choice so you still have a chance!

So there are options and as you're reading this you're probably thinking this is far too complicated it would be easier if i was to resit these exams however are those subjects subjects what you enjoy or are those subjects subjects what you need to go into a career like an architect (like me - regretfully) if so then i would recommend doing a third year with subjects what you enjoy as i hated physics and did not enjoy it what so ever as i believe deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life at the age of 16 is hard as you will most likely change your mind!

Sorry for the essay of the reply and i am sure there are many typos in it but who cares!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your post. What a crazy but rewarding journey you went through and I'm glad you got into your firm choice.

I'm not planning on a third year like yourself but the fact you achieved what you wanted in the end is truly inspiring. My subject choices are ones that I enjoy doing but the grades really came as shock. But I'm planning on retaking a few units so hopefully I can do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baker95)
    I was in your position last year with two D's in my biology exams at AS, however resat both exams, so basically did the whole a level on one year as I completely re taught myself, and brought the D's up to an A and a B. It is possible but you have to work really hard for it as now there's no more January exams you sit them all at the same time so have to make sure you put in the work for all exams and not just focus on the resits. But it is definitely possible 😀
    Thank you for your reply. I'm definitely planning on resitting a few exams and now that I know it's possible to go from a D to a B/A, I'll work extra hard. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Hi, I understand how you must feel about being disappointed by your results but don't let that stop you from achieving what you want to in life!

Now with regards to your question, it is possible to raise your grades from Ds to Bs, however if you're not planning on resitting any modules then you'd have to score almost perfect marks in your A2 exams, so I'd suggest you consider resitting at least one exam.

Here's a quote my mum has told me when I was studying my A levels, "You can achieve anything if you set your mind on it enough." I believe this phrase is very true as if you wanted to study an Economics degree next year, then you'd not let anything stand in your way

Hope this helps and that you get into where you want next year!
    Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm planning on resitting a few exams to bump my grades up. Hopefully I can achieve it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samktran)
    Thank you for your post. What a crazy but rewarding journey you went through and I'm glad you got into your firm choice.

I'm not planning on a third year like yourself but the fact you achieved what you wanted in the end is truly inspiring. My subject choices are ones that I enjoy doing but the grades really came as shock. But I'm planning on retaking a few units so hopefully I can do it
    Not a problem but there are a lot of other lower sixth who don't do as well as expected in their first year so don't worry and good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.