Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've never been a heavy drinker, but not a lightweight either. I've never been sick, forgotten anything or even had much of a hangover when I've been drunk.
    I've been drinking at parties for the last 5/6 years and have never come across a drink that I've had a problem with until about a year ago.

I was at a party and had just one vodka and lemonade and felt really sick, flushed and a bit like I'd suddenly got a cold. I stopped drinking and had a glass of water and it took me about an hour to feel better. I then switched to Malibu and was fine. A couple of weeks after the same thing happened and so the next day I tried just a Smirnoff Ice and again the same thing happened.

I decided to avoid vodka and was fine drinking other stuff until just after christmas when I had an apple cider at pre-drinks. Just half-way through the bottle I felt sick and flushed again, I stopped drinking until we went out an hour or so later and again stuck to Malibu and I was ok.
    Basically since then this has happened a lot and I've come to realise that I can't drink anything other than Malibu or Gin without feeling ill after just a few sips.

I'm annoyed because I'm going off to uni in September and I'm worried that if I can't drink anything I'll feel left out.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before or know what this could be?
    Someone said I might have developed an alcohol intolerance, but then surely I wouldn't be able to drink anything? Or could it be just a matter of time before I can't drink Gin or Malibu either?
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've never been a heavy drinker, but not a lightweight either. I've never been sick, forgotten anything or even had much of a hangover when I've been drunk.
    I've been drinking at parties for the last 5/6 years and have never come across a drink that I've had a problem with until about a year ago.

I was at a party and had just one vodka and lemonade and felt really sick, flushed and a bit like I'd suddenly got a cold. I stopped drinking and had a glass of water and it took me about an hour to feel better. I then switched to Malibu and was fine. A couple of weeks after the same thing happened and so the next day I tried just a Smirnoff Ice and again the same thing happened.

I decided to avoid vodka and was fine drinking other stuff until just after christmas when I had an apple cider at pre-drinks. Just half-way through the bottle I felt sick and flushed again, I stopped drinking until we went out an hour or so later and again stuck to Malibu and I was ok.
    Basically since then this has happened a lot and I've come to realise that I can't drink anything other than Malibu or Gin without feeling ill after just a few sips.

I'm annoyed because I'm going off to uni in September and I'm worried that if I can't drink anything I'll feel left out.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before or know what this could be?
    Someone said I might have developed an alcohol intolerance, but then surely I wouldn't be able to drink anything? Or could it be just a matter of time before I can't drink Gin or Malibu either?
    It might be that the things that you are drinking have a similar ingredient that you are intolerant too. Maybe keep a note of the brands that are making you feel rough and then compare ingredients?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.