The Student Room Group

Girls: If a guy had a crush on you and you were in a relationship

If you had been in a happy relationship for 5 years, and one of your guy friends told you he liked you, how would you react and would you treat him differently? I.e. distance him
Original post by Anonymous
If you had been in a happy relationship for 5 years, and one of your guy friends told you he liked you, how would you react and would you treat him differently? I.e. distance him

I'd treat him differently and I'd feel like I'd have no other choice but to treat him differently. I'd certainly avoid hanging out with him one on one out of respect for my boyfriend and I'd be very careful about how much I texted him/instant messaged him etc. I'd basically make sure that I was making it clear that I didn't feel the same way and I'd distance myself from him. I really think that telling someone you like them when you know they're in a happy long term relationship is disrespectful to the boyfriend and pretty selfish because it's highly unlikely the girl likes you as anything other than a friend and you're only saying it to make yourself feel better.
I'd tell my boyfriend, I'd tell the friend sorry but I have a boyfriend and see you as a friend, and I'd remain friends with them if my boyfriend didn't mind, but definitely watch if my behaviour was leading him on or anything.
Reply 3
As much as you try you can't carry on as normal you will find yourself drunk and being kissed by him at a party while your boyfriend is in the other room, you will never live it down. Can you tell I have recent personal experience :P I would try and talk to him and then avoid being alone with him when you think he might be emotional

Posted from TSR Mobile
If he was a good guy friend then I wouldn't distance myself from him, but obviously I'd give him space if he needed it. I'd still be his friend, especially if it was just a passing crush, everyone gets crushes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Harsh consequences for a guy being honest about his feelings >_>

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by LydiaFirefly<3
If he was a good guy friend then I wouldn't distance myself from him, but obviously I'd give him space if he needed it. I'd still be his friend, especially if it was just a passing crush, everyone gets crushes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by alanis97
As much as you try you can't carry on as normal you will find yourself drunk and being kissed by him at a party while your boyfriend is in the other room, you will never live it down. Can you tell I have recent personal experience :P I would try and talk to him and then avoid being alone with him when you think he might be emotional

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by twoforjoy
I'd tell my boyfriend, I'd tell the friend sorry but I have a boyfriend and see you as a friend, and I'd remain friends with them if my boyfriend didn't mind, but definitely watch if my behaviour was leading him on or anything.

Original post by pinkbullets
I'd treat him differently and I'd feel like I'd have no other choice but to treat him differently. I'd certainly avoid hanging out with him one on one out of respect for my boyfriend and I'd be very careful about how much I texted him/instant messaged him etc. I'd basically make sure that I was making it clear that I didn't feel the same way and I'd distance myself from him. I really think that telling someone you like them when you know they're in a happy long term relationship is disrespectful to the boyfriend and pretty selfish because it's highly unlikely the girl likes you as anything other than a friend and you're only saying it to make yourself feel better.

I'm crushing on this girl at work. She's really friendly with me, but she's friendly with a lot of the guys. A couple of the other girls at work have noticed I like her (I denied it when they accused me).

I won't tell her how I feel as that might weird her out. Hard to keep it to myself but I must
I'd tell my boyfriend and if he was cool keep being friends, if not I'd distance myself.
Reply 8
Original post by joker12345
I'd tell my boyfriend and if he was cool keep being friends, if not I'd distance myself.

She can't distance her from me (that much).

She sits 1 desk away from me at work and our roles demand a small amount of interaction on a daily basis
Original post by Anonymous
She can't distance her from me (that much).

She sits 1 desk away from me at work and our roles demand a small amount of interaction on a daily basis

Yeah, so then she could only talk to you for work purposes. For what it's worth, I think you should tell her.
I would tell my partner and if the friend couldn't deal with the fact he would only ever be a friend and nothing more, I would ignore them.

I've had this happen before and how it panned out was the way I just described above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joker12345
Yeah, so then she could only talk to you for work purposes. For what it's worth, I think you should tell her.

I don't think I should. It could only make things worse. Then again maybe she knows seeing as couple of others at work have noticed too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending