Turn on thread page Beta

Littering fine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was given a fine today of £80 by an environmental officer or whatever they're called for throwing a cigarette butt on the floor. I feel like the fine is grossly unfair and have some possible objections. I had not left the area therefore it can not be littering, the person who issued the fine showed no id and took my details down without telling me why and then after being asked repeatedly by my friend if it would be ok if I just picked it up chose to just ignore him. I don't want to go through the official appeal because I risk a £2,000 fine and a criminal record but does anyone know of any way I could potentially get out of this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just pay the fine. I smoke, its not hard to put cigarette butts in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    No way whatsoever.
    Pay up litter lout.

ReputationRep:
    But the fact that you didn't leave is nonsense- it's not as if you threw it on the ground to just pick it up before you leave for no apparent reason. By the fine litterbug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    I was given a fine today of £80 by an environmental officer or whatever they're called for throwing a cigarette butt on the floor. I feel like the fine is grossly unfair and have some possible objections. I had not left the area therefore it can not be littering, the person who issued the fine showed no id and took my details down without telling me why and then after being asked repeatedly by my friend if it would be ok if I just picked it up chose to just ignore him. I don't want to go through the official appeal because I risk a £2,000 fine and a criminal record but does anyone know of any way I could potentially get out of this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What was so hard about putting it in a bin?

Pay it, learn from it and don't do it again.

ReputationRep:
    Was there any point in these responses? I was clearly looking for a response that could give me a way out not a lecture

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Was there any point in these responses? I was clearly looking for a response that could give me a way out not a lecture

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because 99% of people find littering disgusting and annoying. There is no need for it. You littered, you pay the fine. Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because there is no way out. You are in the wrong. Don't try and worm your way ou of it. Accept you should put litter in the bin (or carry a portable ashtray) and move on.

Assuming the officer was genuine and it is not a scam. Did you not ask for ID?

ReputationRep:
    You should have told them to do one.

Forgot all these tree huggers replying.

The way I see it, it's as much your world as it's mine. If I litter, then it's my choice.

Just say you dropped it and were about to pick it up when the officer came.

And never give anyone your details like that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The amount seems a bit unfair but you dropped it. Quite frankly smoking is so disgusting though. And lets face it you are happy to spend this amount every 10 days or so on these cancer sticks but not happy to pay when asked to maintain a once environment for other people

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...-punished.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you just give him fake details or something? Seems a bit ridiculous when I see people letting their dogs **** on the pavement on a daily basis, and never get any sort of fine. Pretty sure they can't fine you if you agree to pick it up, that guy was just abusing his power in his silly job. I'd definitely appeal, the system here has gone mad.

ReputationRep:
    I think your only option is to visit the town hall and challange the local council to trial by combat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just pay the fine and stop whining you committed an offense, don't waste your time or the time of the police. Littering is not cool, you're ruining the local environment, so should pay a fine that will contribute to the wages of the poor people who have to clean up after people like you who have no respect for their local environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Because there is no way out. You are in the wrong. Don't try and worm your way ou of it. Accept you should put litter in the bin (or carry a portable ashtray) and move on.

Assuming the officer was genuine and it is not a scam. Did you not ask for ID?
    Not really true. He does have numerous ways out but I won't be telling him them because I think people who litter deserve to be fined. Helping him get off this fine would only go to undermine the whole point of why he received it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.