The Student Room Group

Welcome to Plymouth Dental School - 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blobar
What is our timetable like? Every weekday 9-4/5 I presume?

I posted a picture of the timetable in a previous thread.

It's not 9 to 4 everyday.

For my year 1 timetable I had wednesdays off.

Monday was 9 to 11

Tuesday was 9 to 4

Thursday was 9 to 4

Friday 2 to 4

This doesn't include optional lessons.
Reply 21
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I posted a picture of the timetable in a previous thread.

It's not 9 to 4 everyday.

For my year 1 timetable I had wednesdays off.

Monday was 9 to 11

Tuesday was 9 to 4

Thursday was 9 to 4

Friday 2 to 4

This doesn't include optional lessons.

Wow that is quite a nice timetable, did you go to many optional lessons? Would they have helped with the course supplementing it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, haven't had much information supplied to me thus far.
Original post by Blobar
Wow that is quite a nice timetable, did you go to many optional lessons? Would they have helped with the course supplementing it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, haven't had much information supplied to me thus far.

I created this thread for people like yourself to ask questions :smile:

I went to nearly no optional sessions, unless I felt it would really really help me out. Throughout the entire year I only attended around 5 optional sessions. (there were about 3-4 optional sessions a week)

I was the only person in the year that attended literally no optional sessions. about half of the year attended about 90% of the sessions, and half of the year attended about 50% of the sessions.

Basically my attendance to these sessions was practically 0%

I do not recommend that you do what I did. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but I have been known throughout my academic life to self teach everything comfortably, some teachers/professors even think I have photographic memory lol. This is why I don't attend optional sessions.

EDIT:
It is worth mentioning that my year were the first dental students to start the 5 year course at plymouth. The timetable and teach style may vary for your year depending on feedback. But I can't imagine it will change much, if at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
I created this thread for people like yourself to ask questions :smile:

I went to nearly no optional sessions, unless I felt it would really really help me out. Throughout the entire year I only attended around 5 optional sessions. (there were about 3-4 optional sessions a week)

I was the only person in year that attended literally no optional sessions. about half of the year attended about 90% of the sessions, and half of the year attended about 50% of the sessions.

Basically my attendance to these sessions was practically 0%

I do not recommend that you do what I did. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but I have been known throughout my academic life to self teach everything comfortably, some teachers/professors even think I have photographic memory lol. This is why I don't attend optional sessions.

Right ok, I think what I will do is see how I feel doing the course to start with, if I feel I'm struggling I'll attend a lot of those sessions, if not I'll attend not as many. Thanks for your help :smile:.

I'll think of more questions later, none come to mind right now :wink:.

EDIT : I see, I can't see it varying drastically even if it does so it does give me a rough estimate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blobar
Right ok, I think what I will do is see how I feel doing the course to start with, if I feel I'm struggling I'll attend a lot of those sessions, if not I'll attend not as many. Thanks for your help :smile:.

I'll think of more questions later, none come to mind right now :wink:.

EDIT : I see, I can't see it varying drastically even if it does so it does give me a rough estimate.

No problem. Most of year 1 is anatomy. Basically human biology. It;s like doing A-level biology again, remember facts, learn concepts, then do the exam and win. I spent 96 days playing video games during term time of year 1 at uni. Literally 96 days, in hours, I racked up 2304 hours of playing games. (I know this because steam tells me my hours played on games LOL) I would come home from uni and just play video games until 1am, sleep, wake up, uni, video games until 1 am. etc etc. I only started studying about a month prior to written exams, of which we have 2 a year, one in January and one in March.

EDIT:
Throughout the year though we do have a handful of practical assessments, like performing an amalgam filling on a specific tooth surface, tooth debridement, local anesthetic, etc etc. These you can't really revise for, since they're hands on, you just practice them during SDLE or your spare time.

EDIT2: Again, I must stress that I do not expect you to follow in my footsteps in terms of studying. LOL... there are some people who studies 24/7 and failed exams and even failed the year. It's only chill if you know what you're doing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
No problem. Most of year 1 is anatomy. Basically human biology. It;s like doing A-level biology again, remember facts, learn concepts, then do the exam and win. I spent 96 days playing video games during term time of year 1 at uni. Literally 96 days, in hours, I racked up 2304 hours of playing games. (I know this because steam tells me my hours played on games LOL) I would come home from uni and just play video games until 1am, sleep, wake up, uni, video games until 1 am. etc etc. I only started studying about a month prior to written exams, of which we have 2 a year, one in January and one in March.

EDIT:
Throughout the year though we do have a handful of practical assessments, like performing an amalgam filling on a specific tooth surface, tooth debridement, local anesthetic, etc etc. These you can't really revise for, since they're hands on, you just practice them during SDLE or your spare time.

EDIT2: Again, I must stress that I do not expect you to follow in my footsteps in terms of studying. LOL... there are some people who studies 24/7 and failed exams and even failed the year. It's only chill if you know what you're doing.

Hahahaa I myself have racked up quite a few hours playing FIFA this year too :wink:. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was 96 days worth though LOL. Ah thanks for the info on exams forgot to ask about them :P. It all sounds very interesting and you must be one laid back person :wink:.
Original post by Blobar
Hahahaa I myself have racked up quite a few hours playing FIFA this year too :wink:. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was 96 days worth though LOL. Ah thanks for the info on exams forgot to ask about them :P. It all sounds very interesting and you must be one laid back person :wink:.

Most laid back person on the course, and was also the most laid back person at school. All my teachers used to send letters home to my dad saying "he does no work in class, no homework, takes no notes, he's gonna fail" LOL.
Reply 27
Most laid back person on the course, and was also the most laid back person at school. All my teachers used to send letters home to my dad saying "he does no work in class, no homework, takes no notes, he's gonna fail" LOL.

Lol still treating you like a 10 year old then. What did you actually get in your first year?
Original post by Blobar
Lol still treating you like a 10 year old then. What did you actually get in your first year?

When I said teachers sending letters home, I meant in 6th form. Uni professors can't send letters to my parents, by law they can't, unless I've allowed them to. You're completely independant.

I don't know, it's weird, I don't get how they mark it. But it seems as though I got full marks in terms of ums ? I don't even know... just says A's for everything.
When I said teachers sending letters home, I meant in 6th form. Uni professors can't send letters to my parents, by law they can't, unless I've allowed them to. You're completely independant.

I don't know, it's weird, I don't get how they mark it. But it seems as though I got full marks in terms of ums ? I don't even know... just says A's for everything.

Didn't they tell you your class rank?
Original post by alevelzzz
Didn't they tell you your class rank?

Nope. Pretty difficult to rank in dentistry when 80% of the exams are marked by "pass, borderline, fail"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31

Ah I see, when you say A's for everything are you talking about college again or uni lol?
Original post by Blobar
Ah I see, when you say A's for everything are you talking about college again or uni lol?

Talking about uni for the A's thing. LOL. It says a score, and then says A next to it. And it doesnt say what the score is out of, just says multiples of 10.
Reply 33
Talking about uni for the A's thing. LOL. It says a score, and then says A next to it. And it doesnt say what the score is out of, just says multiples of 10.

Can you go into the SDLE and practice stuff you aren't fully confident in, in your own time or only at certain times? I ain't thinking of going in at like 3AM in the morning lmao.
Original post by Blobar
Can you go into the SDLE and practice stuff you aren't fully confident in, in your own time or only at certain times?

I've never done that, but I think one day a week for a certain time is dedicated to that if you want to go. (no one ever goes tbh, only one or two if they fail a practical exam). You don't really need to go because we get loaddddddsssss of compulsory practice sessions anyway. They're called "consolidation sessions", where you can practice anything you like that you have learnt so far.
Reply 35
I've never done that, but I think one day a week for a certain time is dedicated to that if you want to go. (no one ever goes tbh, only one or two if they fail a practical exam). You don't really need to go because we get loaddddddsssss of compulsory practice sessions anyway. They're called "consolidation sessions", where you can practice anything you like that you have learnt so far.

Oh lol. The course sounds pretty amazing ATM haha. Can't wait to get started.
Original post by Blobar
Oh lol. The course sounds pretty amazing ATM haha. Can't wait to get started.

Mhmmm ! I loved the course structure. And Plymouth is an amazing place with great scenary, only moments away from the seaside, the beach, parks, shopping center. etc.
Reply 37
What resources did you use to self teach?
Original post by rooncraz
What resources did you use to self teach?

Youtube mostly. and lecture slides.
Reply 39
I've applied plymouth this year...can i just ask what sort of ethical questions you get asked at interviews??

Quick Reply

Latest