Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Persistent cough that won't go away watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a 20 year old male who has had a cough since breaking up for the Summer (around early June), and so it's been with me for a good two and a half months.

I have been to the GP about it twice, the last time she performed a resp exam, and everything seemed fine. She gave me a script for antibiotics, but I never took it (prescription costs are a *****).

It has to be said, I'm a little concerned that it could be something serious. I know it's incredibly unlikely, as I'm a non-smoker, have never smoked, have no close relatives that smoke and am still very young, but I am concerned it is lung cancer. I will book another appointment and ask for a chest X-ray just to put my mind at rest.

I am a medical student, and have read the symptoms a thousand times- I have no other symptoms like breathlessness or chest pain.

My cough seems almost non-existent some days, but on days like today, it's just annoying.
    My diet is generally ok, with a good amount of fruit, no excessive drinking, although I do eat a lot of crap.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Hi,

I'm a 20 year old male who has had a cough since breaking up for the Summer (around early June), and so it's been with me for a good two and a half months.

I have been to the GP about it twice, the last time she performed a resp exam, and everything seemed fine. She gave me a script for antibiotics, but I never took it (prescription costs are a *****).

It has to be said, I'm a little concerned that it could be something serious. I know it's incredibly unlikely, as I'm a non-smoker, have never smoked, have no close relatives that smoke and am still very young, but I am concerned it is lung cancer. I will book another appointment and ask for a chest X-ray just to put my mind at rest.

I am a medical student, and have read the symptoms a thousand times- I have no other symptoms like breathlessness or chest pain.

My cough seems almost non-existent some days, but on days like today, it's just annoying.
    My diet is generally ok, with a good amount of fruit, no excessive drinking, although I do eat a lot of crap.

Any thoughts?
    Maybe for the week before your GP appointment keep note of when you are getting symptoms. It might make it easier to find a pattern. One options might be an allergy induced issue though you don't mention wheeze that can cause an isolated cough. Definitely a good idea to go back to your GP to have a chat about things though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Any thoughts?
    Are you on any other medication? Sometimes, you can get a cough like I did as a side affect for some medication that you take. If not , try taking lemon and honey as this can help soothe and calm it down and perhaps it may just go away naturallly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Are you on any other medication? Sometimes, you can get a cough like I did as a side affect for some medication that you take. If not , try taking lemon and honey as this can help soothe and calm it down and perhaps it may just go away naturallly.
    I'm on statins, but coughing isn't a side effect.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on statins, but coughing isn't a side effect.

Okay. Have you had it seen to yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Any thoughts?
    Firstly, as a medical student, surely you should that a doctor wouldn't prescribe antibiotics if it wasn't necessary and that the cost shouldn't outweigh the positive effect the drug will have on your health !!

Secondly, go to the GP again if you're concerned as they will be able to help you more than self-diagnosis. It probably isn't lung cancer as the symptoms wouldn't go away at times, which it would do if it is an allergy (as suggested by someone else).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, agreed it doesn't seem like lung cancer.
    You made a mistake of not taking the antibiotics.
    Go back to the GP for another examination.
    It's probably a severe chest infection.

(Original post by Sophi12)
    Firstly, as a medical student, surely you should that a doctor wouldn't prescribe antibiotics if it wasn't necessary and that the cost shouldn't outweigh the positive effect the drug will have on your health !!

Secondly, go to the GP again if you're concerned as they will be able to help you more than self-diagnosis. It probably isn't lung cancer as the symptoms wouldn't go away at times, which it would do if it is an allergy (as suggested by someone else).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it a dry cough?

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely to be cancer and if a resp exam came out normal it's probably a simple cause. They won't do an X-Ray unless they were absolutely sure you needed one...

What year of medicine are you in btw?

Did you have a cold or anything immediately before the cough started? There is a type of bacteria that can linger in your throat well after you've had a cold, and it can cause you to have a horrible cough that won't go away for a long time. It's quite a common thing, apparently. Just go back and get your antibiotics, £8 isn't that much.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.