Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got 251 UMS overall (so an A). I got 98 in C1, 80 in C2, and 73 in S1. I've heard that you need 80 UMS in EVERY SINGLE MODULE to get an A*. Is that true? :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Spaceship780)
    I got 251 UMS overall (so an A). I got 98 in C1, 80 in C2, and 73 in S1. I've heard that you need 80 UMS in EVERY SINGLE MODULE to get an A*. Is that true? :/
    You need an average of 80 over all of your modules.

You need an average of 90 in C3 and C4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    You need an average of 80 over all of your modules.

You need an average of 90 in C3 and C4.
    So do I need to retake S1 to get an A*??

ReputationRep:
    No. You need 480 UMS total and a combined 180 UMS in Core 3 and Core 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DysonCube)
    No. You need 480 UMS total and a combined 180 UMS in Core 3 and Core 4.
    Oh my god. I can now breathe easy. Thank you so much
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So do I need to retake S1 to get an A*??
    Not necessarily, it will depend on what you get at A2.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, it will depend on what you get at A2.
    Thank you, Rayquaza! I'll need to work my ass off at A2, it seems. Still, I'm glad I don't have to retake S1 for that A*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you, Rayquaza! I'll need to work my ass off at A2, it seems. Still, I'm glad I don't have to retake S1 for that A*
    It's okay. Good luck for A2!

Also well done on the scores you have gotten (especially C1!)

ReputationRep:
    It's okay. Good luck for A2!

Also well done on the scores you have gotten (especially C1!)
    Thank you! I wasn't expecting that A at all! My math teacher might just actually like me now! Recommendation letter here I come! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    My friend was a B grade student last year and he pulled it up to an A*

ReputationRep:
    Before you read this post I have 2 things, first I am a maths teacher and second I did my a level maths in 2009 and even though they have changed slightly, there are very little differences.

From experience, its often a good idea to retake a low AS module as this can boost your overall UMS.

I really didn't appreciate my maths teacher telling me that I had to resit a C1 exam even though I achieved 85%. Having re-sat the paper I achieved 100% and subsequently an extra 15 UMS. Without those 15UMS I wouldn't have achieved an A in maths an A in further maths but an A in maths and a B in further maths. (this is because you could pair up your modules to make the best grades provided you had C1234 in maths and FP123 in further and that you either had just applied1's only or 2 applied from the same subject in maths)

Either way, I would recommend resitting S1 to try and get more UMS. And It depends on who pays for the resit but the more confident you become with C3 and 4 you may decide that you want to resit C2 as well although that's completely up to you.

If you are genuinely aiming for an A* overall you need to achieve an average of 80UMS overall and an average 90UMS in C3 and C4. The A2 core modules are considerably harder than AS. I was someone who achieved 85+ UMS in C1 C2 S1 M1 D1 FP1 S2. I did C3 and got a B and C4 and got a C. I did FP2 and got a B and FP3 and got a B so I think C3 and C4 are the hardest.

If im honest (and probably quite harsh) your grades are currently looking like someone who will achieve an A. They do not indicate that you will get 90UMS in C3 and C4. That is not to say you cant get 90 UMS in those modules.

This is the ideal minimum for achieving an A*

c1- 80
    c2-80
    s1- 80
    m1?- 80
    c3-90
    c4-90

(although I believe you can still achieve the overall requirements if you got 75 in all but C3 and C4)

What you currently have (when averaged out)

c1- 82.67
    c2-82.67
    s1- 82.67
    m1?-
    c3-
    c4-

What a typical A* student would have when averaged out

c1- 95
    c2-95
    s1- 95

Now please don't worry or stress out because getting an A* in maths is difficult but if you compare your averaged results with the minimum need for an A* then you could achieve it. You are on the right tracks. My concern is that your current core grades do not indicate that you will find A2 easy enough to get 90%+. In this situation I would advise my students to get the best A as possible and that would mean retaking C2 and S1 because if something goes wrong with C3 or C4 (say you get a B in one or both of them) then you may not have enough excess UMS from AS to get an A overall. For example, you need 480 UMS for an A. You already have 251 so you need 229 in your last 3 units to get an A overall. If you got 80 in M1, 70 in c3 and 74 in C4 then you would only have 214 and not quite enough for an A. This is possible and do happen regularly.

What I would do is speak to your maths teacher and say I want to get an A* do you think I can do it. They will know you better than I do. That C2 mark may have been lower than what your actually capable of. I judge based on core results and for anyone looking to achieve an A* I would recommend resitting anything that is not an A.

So bottom line is YES it is still possible to get an A* but the question is, can you achieve 90 in each of C3 and C4 and at least 49 in your other applied unit? If you think the answer is yes then good luck, my opinion would be to maximise you chances of getting an A by retaking C2 and S1.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the post!! It was a really helpful read. Honestly, I didn't try much in math. I know this sounds like a really stupid reason, but during my exams, I was seriously depressed and many things were happening in my house which didn't allow me to concentrate on my studies. In short, I know I could do so much better. But now, everything has been sorted out (thank god) and I can finally concentrate on my studies.

I know it would be wise to retake the exams but I've seen people struggle when retaking and doing A levels so I won't. Plus, I'll need 180 UMS anyway in C3 and C4 so, in the third module, I'll only need 50 UMS. Me needing 40 UMS instead won't make a significant difference in my opinion.

I will start studying C3 very soon so I can attain that 90 UMS

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.