Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I missed out on my place for Law at UCL because I was 2 UMS marks away from an A*, meaning i got AAA instead of A*AA. I got into SOAS through clearing for Law but now realise that I may have rushed into it, because I know literally nothing about SOAS and certainly not about the Law department. Except for the fact that it has severely plummeted in the league tables in recent years and the admin at SOAS is supposed to be atrocious.

I'm very politically active so it does sound my type of place but I don't know whether or not i'm better off taking a gap year and applying to LSE/UCL for Politics/Philosophy for 2015 entry. Please note I am far from happy taking a gap year but I would if it meant I got a more prestigious/coveted degree.

I do have a few qualms about SOAS:
    - that it's going to be too small
    - that it's all very very international (this isn't a problem (far from it!) but I come from a very white upper middle class area and I'm worried that I might stick out like a sore thumb)
    - the buildings don't look very nice (this is far from being a deal breaker)
    - that my degree isn't going to stand out in comparison to getting one at LSE etc.

Does anybody have any experience with SOAS/SOAS Law and could offer me their experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to soas.
    If you come from a white middle class area you will not enjoy it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An AAA for Politics/Phil at LSE sounds like a long shot. UCL will consider you but thats a risk youre taking I think. Make what you can of your degree at SOAS

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I have just returned from visiting there with a friend. I think it is a very nice place with a worldwide reputation. Think of it this way - do you want to go a "standard" law course and compete with thousands of graduates for a training contract with all of them being virtually indistinguishable from another. Or go to a place that has an international perspective with some compulsory courses in African and Asian law. A whole bunch of really interesting people from all over the world. As a middle class white person you will be as much of a minority as the rest of them. The Growth in law is coming from overseas.

Your moniker is "changeourworld" - you will certainly get a chance to participate in that. Small? Yes but cosy plus students all around within minutes.

Be brave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karina_)
    An AAA for Politics/Phil at LSE sounds like a long shot. UCL will consider you but thats a risk youre taking I think. Make what you can of your degree at SOAS
    I got into LSE this year with A*AA predicted for Law I guess I forgot how competitive it was. I'm not settling for anything I'm retaking two of my exams to get A*A*A instead but I guess LSE don't care for retakes.

ReputationRep:
    OP do you actually still want to study Law? (You're considering Pol/Phil at LSE/UCL and then Law at SOAS)

If it helps, I was in almost the exact position as you two years ago. I had offers from LSE, UCL, Nottingham and Durham for Law.

I missed both my LSE/UCL offers and retook, and got into LSE. I don't regret the year out for a second.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to go to a London uni have you had a look for any other courses in Clearing/Extra? More and more solicitors/barristers these days have studied History or something first and converted, if you get a training contract in second year they will fund your GDL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    OP do you actually still want to study Law? (You're considering Pol/Phil at LSE/UCL and then Law at SOAS)

If it helps, I was in almost the exact position as you two years ago. I had offers from LSE, UCL, Nottingham and Durham for Law.

I missed both my LSE/UCL offers and retook, and got into LSE. I don't regret the year out for a second.
    Yes my first preference is to study Law, however I want to go to those universities more. I read that UCL Law doesn't allow retakes, so I wouldn't mind settling for another course (I am interested in politics and philosophy) if it meant I could go to that university. Oh okay, so LSE may consider retakes, that is quite interesting thank you! I live in the middle of nowhere and desperately don't want to take a gap year but I would be more than willing to do so if it meant I go could go to a more prestigious university. What did you do doing your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChangeOurWorld)
    Yes my first preference is to study Law, however I want to go to those universities more. I read that UCL Law doesn't allow retakes, so I wouldn't mind settling for another course (I am interested in politics and philosophy) if it meant I could go to that university. Oh okay, so LSE may consider retakes, that is quite interesting thank you! I live in the middle of nowhere and desperately don't want to take a gap year but I would be more than willing to do so if it meant I go could go to a more prestigious university. What did you do doing your gap year?
    I worked at a supermarket, and a law firm before going travelling for a little while. A gap year can be a scary prospect if it's not planned. I'd argue being at a university you despise is tougher on you mentally.

If you already have AAA, then I don't think you've got all that much to lose in putting 1 AAA university which you'd be prepared to go to and then maybe 4 A*AA choices.

LSE 'allow retakes'. I know that King's, Durham and Bristol also do. You've still got plenty of choice, I wouldn't rule out UCL if you do well on the LNAT and write a convincing PS.

ReputationRep:
    I do have a few qualms about SOAS:
    - that it's going to be too small
    True. Socially SOAS is a fraction of the university that UCL is. It's nowhere near as fun, the union (in my opinion) sucks and has been a basket case for years. I'm not sure what's going on with ULU at the moment (maybe nothing).

- that it's all very very international (this isn't a problem (far from it!) but I come from a very white upper middle class area and I'm worried that I might stick out like a sore thumb)
    Depends how you look at it. There will no doubt be a lot of people there doing their Arabic or Islamic Studies -on the other hand, there are people on MA programmes who are very posh and think they are going to be Foreign Secretary or SecGen of the UN or something. There is still a quantum of the old SOAS heritage left (an Empire institution to teach people how to run the colonies). However, part of going to a London university is to meet all sorts of people. Otherwise, you might as well go to Exeter.

- the buildings don't look very nice (this is far from being a deal breaker)
    Most of the University of London is as ugly as sin. Except for the main Wilkins Building, most of UCL is horrible.

- that my degree isn't going to stand out in comparison to getting one at LSE etc.
    If you are reading Laws, this is obvious. Obviously, SOAS doesn't have half the rep for Law. This is reflected in your offer. If you were reading Hebrew or Korean or something, you'd obviously think differently.

ReputationRep:
    I got into LSE this year with A*AA predicted for Law I guess I forgot how competitive it was. I'm not settling for anything I'm retaking two of my exams to get A*A*A instead but I guess LSE don't care for retakes.
    LSE doesnt mind retakes. I've actually never heard of any university having a problem with retakes for law, but it is common knowledge that for MEDICINE lots of universities have that bias. Obviously I could be totally wrong I'm just saying what I know!! I would definitely retake... I was considering doing that because I thought I totally messed up my IB results but I was fine. I'd retake in a heartbeat (but I wouldnt sit around for a gap year if youre not retaking exams). Go to SOAS otherwise. Good luck to youuu

ReputationRep:
    I still love you xxx
    Be true to yourself!

PS: Those are NOT bad results!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.