Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to the doctors for anxiety watch

Anon or delete please

Ok I think ive reached breaking point with social anxiety. Literallyeverything with people involved is a challenge. I turned down going out tocelebrate results last night, ive started panicking when going out with myclose friends and even family. and although I need money like everyone does, I turned down mymums offer of work because I cant face working in a restaurant setting wherepeople will be looking at me.
    Part of my social anxiety is excess blushing. Ive triedeverything besides actually going to the doctors. I need to get this sortedbefore uni because I cannot mess this up like I did with college. I cant getclose to people, I don’t have any real friends and im tired of how weird andabnormal I am because of this blushing. I used to think id wait till uni tosort this but I think I need to do it now.
    Does anyone have experience of this? I really just wantmedication. I know its bad but to be honest I don't think it would help. ive blushed since puberty started and because im pale it shows to a greater extent than other skin tones. I was bullied badly so it became 100 times worse. Also, I don’t want anyone to know. Yes im 18 but I feelbad not telling my mum.its the holidays and shes at work all day so physicallygoing to the doctors is easy. but I would feel bad not telling her about going to therapy sessions.I think my mum has always known theres something going onwith me she doesn’t know about- but shes already worried enough as any mum iswhen their kid goes off to uni. I don’t want to have to tell her this and addto the stress.
    If they prescribe me medication- what will I experience sideeffects wise? Will they be noticeable? I want to try and improve this beforefreshers. While im staying local for uniill be moving out and I don’t want to have to keep coming back to my home townfor therapy sessions. Id rather do that at uni
    Would they give me drugs because im young? I feel like I amdepressed but I think most of it comes from the blushing. Has anyone been on medicationfor this? From what ive read up on, Propranolol sounds like what would help meas it stops the symptoms of anxiety?
    Im just so scared. Ivenever reached out to anyone about this and im so sick of pretending to be ok but don’t wantto be laughed out of the docs office. I just feel like its time for me toactually be able to enjoy things. I want to do so many things that I simplycant at the moment. I want to just be able to have fun.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Going to the doctors is a good idea, living with anxiety is awful as you know! They will give you medication is you ask because you are 18 now, it's only under 18's who they are reluctant to prescribe to. They will probably also offer you counselling which could be more helpful than medication so worth a try! Propranolol may be prescribed but it wouldn't help with the emotional aspect of anxiety or the blushing, only palpitations and things like that! I hope you start feeling better soon

Re: Going to the doctors for anxiety
    I understand completely. I'm starting uni too and my anxiety has been really severe this year. I held off from telling anyone (I.e friends school) until this year but my mum has always sort of noticed it before I realised what it was. It's impacted my friendships a lot negatively and has been really hard, but I'd say you need the support of your mum. My mum keeps insisting that she needs to know because she's my mum and she doesn't want me to be alone in this, so hopefully your mum would be the same too.
    I visited the doctor last year and he refered me to a therapist which I have still yet to visit.
    I am weary because i don't want to go unnecessarily (this week has been good, I feel fine) but don't want it to impact my uni experience as I know it will return. I'm not sure if I should go seeing as there is only a month before uni?
    But I would definitely say tell someone, because for me that was such a weight off knowing this wasn't just something I was alone in. Maybe even speak to the doctors or someone when you get to uni, they may help you decide what's the best approach or it might help knowing someone is aware. I really hope you feel a bit better by this and know that you're not alone, best of wishes X

Hi!

I'm 16 years old and have a problem with excessive blushing too.

Sometimes I have palpitations and if I am going out I will be unable to sleep the night before because I spend the majority of the night thinking of all the things that could go wrong, this leads me to often cancel plans last minute or feel faint, sick and shaky beforehand because im too panicked to go. I have always struggled with this but in the last year or so it's gotten worse, my parents and close friends now notice when i'm upset about this and before I could easily blame it on school and exam stress.

I also find it difficult to make new friends and starting conversations in general therefore I have a problem as I'm starting a new sixth form college in September, luckily there are a few people that I know from my secondary school but however none of them are in my lessons. As a result I spent the majority of my induction day looking at my desk feeling paranoid and overwhelmed. I know is a common feeling when you are somewhere new but for me it is all the time.

I want to at least understand why I am always like this so want to go to the doctors to get this sorted but I am terrified and have no idea what they can do to help with any of this. I haven't yet told my family about this but I know I will have to eventually.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi!

I'm 16 years old and have a problem with excessive blushing too.

Sometimes I have palpitations and if I am going out I will be unable to sleep the night before because I spend the majority of the night thinking of all the things that could go wrong, this leads me to often cancel plans last minute or feel faint, sick and shaky beforehand because im too panicked to go. I have always struggled with this but in the last year or so it's gotten worse, my parents and close friends now notice when i'm upset about this and before I could easily blame it on school and exam stress.

I also find it difficult to make new friends and starting conversations in general therefore I have a problem as I'm starting a new sixth form college in September, luckily there are a few people that I know from my secondary school but however none of them are in my lessons. As a result I spent the majority of my induction day looking at my desk feeling paranoid and overwhelmed. I know is a common feeling when you are somewhere new but for me it is all the time.

I want to at least understand why I am always like this so want to go to the doctors to get this sorted but I am terrified and have no idea what they can do to help with any of this. I haven't yet told my family about this but I know I will have to eventually.
    Hi! I was in the exact same position as you two years ago- I started a new sixth form and didn't know anyone who was in my lessons. I felt like that too- I remember the induction assembly and I thought I was going to have to run out. I felt so overwhelmed like everyone was looking at me.

things did get a bit better for me- and hopefully once you get familiar with the place things will feel less overwhelming.

ive never told my family either. excess blushing makes me feel so stupid. it annoys me so much that I cant control it im sure you know how frustrating it is.

im hopefully going to get a doctors appointment next week.i keep thinking I will be able to sort it so I wont have to tell my family about it.the worrying thing is ive started blushing around my family too. I used to put so much makeup on when I went to college to hide it. now I have to do that all the time to get even a small piece of mind.

im just so scared to finally open up about it. i cant even image how I will start the conversation!ill let you know how it goes and if they recommend anything.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi! I was in the exact same position as you two years ago- I started a new sixth form and didn't know anyone who was in my lessons. I felt like that too- I remember the induction assembly and I thought I was going to have to run out. I felt so overwhelmed like everyone was looking at me.

things did get a bit better for me- and hopefully once you get familiar with the place things will feel less overwhelming.

ive never told my family either. excess blushing makes me feel so stupid. it annoys me so much that I cant control it im sure you know how frustrating it is.

im hopefully going to get a doctors appointment next week.i keep thinking I will be able to sort it so I wont have to tell my family about it.the worrying thing is ive started blushing around my family too. I used to put so much makeup on when I went to college to hide it. now I have to do that all the time to get even a small piece of mind.

im just so scared to finally open up about it. i cant even image how I will start the conversation!ill let you know how it goes and if they recommend anything.

That's exactly how I feel! I get so frustrated because I can't control it then get paranoid that everyone is watching which just makes it worse.

It's great to know that it's not just me, I recently told my best friend what's going on and they completely understood. That gave me a boost of confidence and a place to start, later today I am going to the doctors to talk about it. I'm scared but feel like at least I will be able to explain this to my mum and dad.

I'll let you know what the doctor has to say!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.