Universities with terrible AS results? URGENT HELP! Watch

anon24601
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My AS results are an A in English literature, B in Religious Studies and unfortunately an E in psychology. I know that no universities would even offer me an interview but I was just wondering if it would still be worthwhile to apply to universities and resit my U (of which I'm sending off for a remark) in psychology unit 1. I'm under extenuating circumstances if that actually makes any difference whatsoever in entry requirement lenience. I haven't been able to stop feeling like a failure since and will most likely never shake the feeling off yay haha oh dear

To make it worse I was hoping for at least a B in psychology and I revised loads and left the exam relatively confidently thinking that I secured at least that grade so I just hope it's a marking error - AQA mark electronically, right? I also typed the exam out on the computer and was wondering if this could have affected anything at all in the marking process? I was also hoping for aspirational universities (including UCL, who will now only laugh at me! There is no worth in applying even as a joke!)

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anon24601)
My AS results are an A in English literature, B in Religious Studies and unfortunately an E in psychology. I know that no universities would even offer me an interview but I was just wondering if it would still be worthwhile to apply to universities and resit my U (of which I'm sending off for a remark) in psychology unit 1. I'm under extenuating circumstances if that actually makes any difference whatsoever in entry requirement lenience. I haven't been able to stop feeling like a failure since and will most likely never shake the feeling off yay haha oh dear

To make it worse I was hoping for at least a B in psychology and I revised loads and left the exam relatively confidently thinking that I secured at least that grade so I just hope it's a marking error - AQA mark electronically, right? I also typed the exam out on the computer and was wondering if this could have affected anything at all in the marking process? I was also hoping for aspirational universities (including UCL, who will now only laugh at me! There is no worth in applying even as a joke!)

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!
Firstly, those are not terrible AS results. ABE is probably better than most people - at least you've got an A! Depending on what those extenuating circumstances are, they could make a real difference. If they're serious, make sure they're mentioned on your personal statement.

You could apply for a clerical check (making sure that you've been given the right grade) but those mistakes are very, very rare. I doubt that the fact that you did it on the computer really affected anything.

I wouldn't say you've thrown your chance of UCL out of the window (depends on what subject you're applying for), although it is going to be very very tough now. I definitely wouldn't be too hopeful, but it could well be worth applying just in case, particularly if you manage to get good predicted grades and your extenuating circumstances are serious.
student613
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got BBEE at AS level and got all five of my offers. I applied to Cardiff, Sheffield, Sussex, Birmingham and Oxford Brookes (all very good universities). I got AAB at A2 and am going to Cardiff university in September. Seriously as long as your predicted grades are ok you'll be absolutely fine.
anon24601
Rep:
?
(Original post by student613)
I got BBEE at AS level and got all five of my offers. I applied to Cardiff, Sheffield, Sussex, Birmingham and Oxford Brookes (all very good universities). I got AAB at A2 and am going to Cardiff university in September. Seriously as long as your predicted grades are ok you'll be absolutely fine.

Oh, thank you! May I ask what course you applied to at Cardiff, as that was going to be another of my choices? And a very well done on your A2's, it's nice to know that it's possible!
student613
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anon24601)
Oh, thank you! May I ask what course you applied to at Cardiff, as that was going to be another of my choices? And a very well done on your A2's, it's nice to know that it's possible!
I applied for psychology with a professional placement.
anon24601
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Firstly, those are not terrible AS results. ABE is probably better than most people - at least you've got an A! Depending on what those extenuating circumstances are, they could make a real difference. If they're serious, make sure they're mentioned on your personal statement.

You could apply for a clerical check (making sure that you've been given the right grade) but those mistakes are very, very rare. I doubt that the fact that you did it on the computer really affected anything.

I wouldn't say you've thrown your chance of UCL out of the window (depends on what subject you're applying for), although it is going to be very very tough now. I definitely wouldn't be too hopeful, but it could well be worth applying just in case, particularly if you manage to get good predicted grades and your extenuating circumstances are serious.
Thanks for the encouragement! I want to study English (as reflected in my grades!) so it's highly competitive there and even considered better than Oxbridge in league tables. I think the best chances I have of still being able to apply successfully would be a retake and therefore a gap year would be required beforehand.

Anyhow, I just vainly hope that it is a marking mistake. Even if not a drastic one, a few more UMS would be nice. I'm also very scared that universities won't even care about any extenuating circumstances when accounting for the E! Oh dear
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed