The Student Room Group

Lost university place for replying too slowly...

Apologies for the double I posted in the wrong section originally.

Desperately need some advice here.

My girlfriend missed her firm course but for offered an alternative course at the same university. On UCAS it stated she had until the 18th to make a decision. However today she received an email from the university after she accepted it that they were now full and will have to defer her until next year. It's currently too late to discuss it with them as their office is closed, but can anyone provide any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D_Biddles
Apologies for the double I posted in the wrong section originally.

Desperately need some advice here.

My girlfriend missed her firm course but for offered an alternative course at the same university. On UCAS it stated she had until the 18th to make a decision. However today she received an email from the university after she accepted it that they were now full and will have to defer her until next year. It's currently too late to discuss it with them as their office is closed, but can anyone provide any advice?

That sounds like very dodgy behaviour on their part. I don't have the rulebook to hand but I'm 99% sure they're not allowed to do that.

It would be worth your girlfriend telling the uni that she intends to take up the place for 2014 entry that has been offered, and also getting in touch with UCAS to tell them what's going on.

Which uni is this, out of interest? :holmes:
Reply 2
Definitely gonna get on the phones early tomorrow to get this straightened out. I fear they'll get out of it on a technicality. It was Royal Holloway by the way.
Definitely gonna get on the phones early tomorrow to get this straightened out. I fear they'll get out of it on a technicality. It was Royal Holloway by the way.

In theory they could have given an offer for deferred entry in the first place, but if they made an offer for entry this year and she's accepted it then I don't see that they've got any justifiable basis for taking the place away.
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed
In theory they could have given an offer for deferred entry in the first place, but if they made an offer for entry this year and she's accepted it then I don't see that they've got any justifiable basis for taking the place away.

I understand clearing offers only stand for 24 hours, but as far as I am aware it isn't clearing and thus doesn't follow the same rules.
I understand clearing offers only stand for 24 hours, but as far as I am aware it isn't clearing and thus doesn't follow the same rules.

A Clearing offer stands for as long as the university says it stands. They can impose a 24 hour deadline if they wish but it's not a hard and fast rule.
Reply 6
It's all quite vague and the boundaries are grey. I once had offers held for me for over three days by two different Russell Group universities, both for the same generally oversubscribed law course; I've also had friends who were given until the end of a day to respond. Best bet would be to listen to what they give you as a deadline, as they're desparate to fill their places asap as well.
Reply 7

She has a screenshot of track from yesterday. It's some evidence at least

Sorry to hear this - hope you get it sorted.

oxymoronic
Original post by zizi.karl
It's all quite vague and the boundaries are grey. I once had offers held for me for over three days by two different Russell Group universities, both for the same generally oversubscribed law course; I've also had friends who were given until the end of a day to respond. Best bet would be to listen to what they give you as a deadline, as they're desparate to fill their places asap as well.

This isn't for Clearing, it's called a changed course offer where you miss your offer but the original firm/insurance choice offers you a place on a different course instead, so a slightly different scenario.
Reply 10
track at the moment.

She has a screenshot of track from yesterday. It's some evidence at least

Yeah, they're not playing by the rules. Tell her to get in touch with UCAS as well.
Reply 12
Yeah, they're not playing by the rules. Tell her to get in touch with UCAS as well.

She has clarified it a bit more for me. That email stating the course was full came before she accepted. Does that hurt her case?
Reply 13
This isn't for Clearing, it's called a changed course offer where you miss your offer but the original firm/insurance choice offers you a place on a different course instead, so a slightly different scenario.
I see, I made a false assumption! Thanks for the correction. Either way, the rules do sound quite unfixed; are agreements made verbally, or through UCAS?
Reply 14
Original post by zizi.karl
I see, I made a false assumption! Thanks for the correction. Either way, the rules do sound quite unfixed; are agreements made verbally, or through UCAS?

Formally through UCAS
She has clarified it a bit more for me. That email stating the course was full came before she accepted. Does that hurt her case?

A bit, yeah, as it would probably be interpreted as the uni making a mistake and immediately taking steps to contact her and correct it, but the mistake is on their part and they *should* still honour the offer that was given.
Reply 16
A bit, yeah, as it would probably be interpreted as the uni making a mistake and immediately taking steps to contact her and correct it, but the mistake is on their part and they *should* still honour the offer that was given.

More greyness. From an email from RHUL yesterday.

We both read that as, it's in her interests to accept or reject by the end of the day so she can go into clearing before all the good courses go.

We both read that as, it's in her interests to accept or reject by the end of the day so she can go into clearing before all the good courses go.

Agreed, it's not a requirement that she does so, it's a recommendation that if she's going to decline the offer that she do so promptly so as not to miss out in Clearing.

This is something completely different. It says to accept/decline quickly so that other offers would still be available, not that this one would lapse. The whole thing is NOT okay, so definitely get in touch with UCAS and such asap.
Reply 19
I'll try and update this thread with any progress tomorrow. Could be useful in future years as a precedent.

Quick Reply