Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have a favourite grandma? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you have a favourite Grandma?
    Yes - My Mum's Mum is my favourite
    46.67%
    Yes - My Dad's Mum is my favourite
    20.00%
    I love/hate/feel indifferent towards both equally
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    So I was talking to a work colleague today and this subject came up. It seems a lot of people prefer one of their grandmas over another and both me, my colleague and a friend I know both prefer the grandma on a specific side of the family. I thought I'd to a poll to see if there was any consistency to this or if it was just chance that we all preferred a specific grandma.

Please don't answer this poll if you didn't get a chance to know a Grandma well enough before she passed away. Also, this is a poll just about Grandmas, if someone wants to set one up about Grandpas feel free but don't answer about Grandpas on here!

Spoiler:
    Show
    We all prefer our Mum's Mum. Wonder if this is what the poll will show!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I didn't answer the poll.

My mum's mum I knew very well as she lived with us when I was a kid. She died a week before my 15th birthday. I was devastated.

My dad's mum I never saw after the age of 3. She died when I was 11. I wish I had gotten to meet her again.

ReputationRep:
    I love my mums mum to bits as i lived with her since i was born until i moved to uk 6 yrs ago. She passed away couple of weeks ago and i am absolutely lost and heartbroken. She means everything to me as she had cancer for 14 yrs and suffered. I really dont like my dads mum as she is very mean to my mum and me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah I have a favourite gran - my mum's mum. She has basically raised me as her own and I often see her and my papa like my parents and my mum like my sister. I love her with all my heart.

My dad's mum was an ok gran to me before my dad started having children with other women after him and my mum broke up. They were broken up for 3 yrs before he had other kids and she was fine during those times but as soon as more grandkids came on the scene, she didn't want to know me or my mum. She even told my mum she didn't class me as a grandkid any more. Her loss imo. I've not missed out. I've got the best gran/second mum I got could ask for in the form of my mum's mum.

The same goes for papa's. My mum's dad is basically my dad and I love him as much as I love my gran. My dad's dad didn't really like kids so never bothered with me.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Grandmother on mother's side was a very angry and strong woman. I was her favourite mostly because I reminded her of a Russian soldier that once saved her from the Japanese. You never wanted to be on the receiving end of her temper as she only spoke with a leather belt. I guess I knew how to molly-coddle my way towards her softer side and she would tell me all her war time experiences which I would sit down to listen earnestly. Sadly she passed on when I was 9 from an accident. I still have the 12 pieces of her favourite jewellery she left me.

Grandmother on father's side was a very different person. She was a very intellectual person and eloquent. She was an arithmetic teacher by training and retired as a headmistress, one of the first few in Singapore. She had lots of memories to tell including that of hardships and persecution, she never had any favourites though you do get on her good side if you did well in maths in school which thankfully I did. She passed on when I was 12 from old age.

I don't think I could put a favourite on them as they both were good women in their own respective ways and I have no reason to choose between them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    My dad's mum was an ok gran to me before my dad started having children with other women after him and my mum broke up. They were broken up for 3 yrs before he had other kids and she was fine during those times but as soon as more grandkids came on the scene, she didn't want to know me or my mum. She even told my mum she didn't class me as a grandkid any more. Her loss imo. I've not missed out. I've got the best gran/second mum I got could ask for in the form of my mum's mum.
    That's really sad

How on earth could she even say such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    I technically have three grandmothers, my mum's mum, my dad's mum and my dad's stepmother, and admittedly my dad's stepmum is my favourite. My mum's mum lives 100 miles away, so we aren't very close, but she is sweet despite the fact she can't remember my age. My dad's mum is very bitter towards my dad's dad (they divorced and she never got over it, even when he died) and was very nasty to my mum over the years because she's English and my dad's mum is an old welsh woman. My Dad's stepmum feels more like my Nan than either of my biological grandmothers, I have loads in common with her, she's clever, kind and very easy to get along with.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's mum passed away but from what I hear of her she doesn't seem that cool. So, I can't judge her without knowing what's true and what's not. Anyway, I know I'd choose my mum's mum. Soz to my dad's mum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm indifferent to both. My maternal gran lives abroad and I haven't seen her in 4 years. I hear about her through my mum, but I don't speak her language too well hence have never had a close relationship.

I used to see and speak to my dad's mum all the time, but we had a family argument involving my aunt's family last year, who my gran obviously prefers, and she's been off with me since. She tells me to keep in touch when we see each other yet makes no effort whatsoever anymore to contact me. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    All my grandparents are dead and I never really had a favourite :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.