Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to study Midwifery at university, which the universities themselves admit is a predominantly mature student course. I feel like I was treated unfairly due to my age and that I was interviewed as part of an equality and diversity exercise, to evidence that they had interviewed a certain number of school leavers. I was rejected on the grounds of not passing the English tests at two of my interviews. Both of the universities required grade C at GCSE and I received an A in both Lang and lit and I have also received an A for lang and lit at A level so without sounding up myself there's no way that I could have failed grade C comprehension tests. I tried to query the results with both universities and so did my head teacher and we were both shut down with a simple we don't discuss results. I don't want a place at there institutions as I have a confirmed place already but I want to complain to try and prevent it happening to others in my position. Who would I be able to complain too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baker95)
    I applied to study Midwifery at university, which the universities themselves admit is a predominantly mature student course. I feel like I was treated unfairly due to my age and that I was interviewed as part of an equality and diversity exercise, to evidence that they had interviewed a certain number of school leavers. I was rejected on the grounds of not passing the English tests at two of my interviews. Both of the universities required grade C at GCSE and I received an A in both Lang and lit and I have also received an A for lang and lit at A level so without sounding up myself there's no way that I could have failed grade C comprehension tests. I tried to query the results with both universities and so did my head teacher and we were both shut down with a simple we don't discuss results. I don't want a place at there institutions as I have a confirmed place already but I want to complain to try and prevent it happening to others in my position. Who would I be able to complain too?
    I wouldn't start with a complaint. I would start with getting the reason for your refusal in writing if you do not have it. If that doesn't change, and it may well change, I would then do a data protection subject access request.

What you want is the university's record of your test results. If one looks at what is plausible and what is not; it is wholly unlikely that a university would falsify your test results. However, it is certainly not beyond he realms of possibility that you have been given a "fob off" reason for being turned down. That is why you should not be surprised if when you ask for the reasons for being turned down. these change. Junior staff in any organisation faced with a difficult and persistent caller will say things which they believe closes down a conversation regardless of accuracy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.