Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am a to-be year 13 student yet I have already taken the A2 exams for a foreign language.
    I received my results today which say "A".
    This is hard to believe as I am fluent in this language and found the two units' exams very easy.
    Is it not possible to be considered an A* grade if the AS exams are not completed and calculated into the UMS as well?

ReputationRep:
    You have to do AS and A2....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaikusa)
    Hi I am a to-be year 13 student yet I have already taken the A2 exams for a foreign language.
    I received my results today which say "A".
    This is hard to believe as I am fluent in this language and found the two units' exams very easy.
    Is it not possible to be considered an A* grade if the AS exams are not completed and calculated into the UMS as well?
    If you have only taken A2 exams then they will not give you an overall grade at all. You have to have been entered for all the units (even if you don't turn up to all of them) before you can get an overall grade.

Exactly what does your results slip say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    If you have only taken A2 exams then they will not give you an overall grade at all. You have to have been entered for all the units (even if you don't turn up to all of them) before you can get an overall grade.

Exactly what does your results slip say?
    My slip says (for A2) I have an overall "A", with a close to full mark A for Unit1 and a rather low B mark for Unit 2.
    I am rather shocked of the Unit 2 raw mark after converting it through edexcel, and I'm considering requesting a remark because it's so unexpected...
    (It's impossible to think that I only got 55 out of 80 when I found the test so easy..)

I now understand that you must get 80% overall for AS & a 90% overall just within A2 to get an A*.
    I am willing to take the AS exam next year to do so, but I will not be able to get an A* with the results I just received at A2.
    Am I correct? 😅

ReputationRep:
    If you have done Unit 1 and Unit 2 then you have done AS. What are the exam codes or the code of the overall grade?

If this is a 4 unit A level then you need at least 320/400 overall and at least 180/200 in the A2 units for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaikusa)
    My slip says (for A2) I have an overall "A", with a close to full mark A for Unit1 and a rather low B mark for Unit 2.
    I am rather shocked of the Unit 2 raw mark after converting it through edexcel, and I'm considering requesting a remark because it's so unexpected...
    (It's impossible to think that I only got 55 out of 80 when I found the test so easy..)

I now understand that you must get 80% overall for AS & a 90% overall just within A2 to get an A*.
    I am willing to take the AS exam next year to do so, but I will not be able to get an A* with the results I just received at A2.
    Am I correct?
    It's not possible to get an A* with a B in a unit which makes up half of the A2. You need 90% average in A2 for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt you got an A overall for the whole A level, you need the AS which is half the whole thing
    the maximum you can get with half the A level is a C..

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.