The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

new computer science students cardiff 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kawaiimi
Cool :smile: where do you hail from then?

A fairly remote place in North Devon, so Cardiff's gonna be a completely new experience for me.

Pretty stoked for it though. :biggrin:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Thanks for the links :smile:
Did you see the modules were doing this year when you enroled? (Or have you not done that yet?)

And yeah I know what you mean.. tbh my friend had horrific flat mates so he asked for a transfer and the residence people were okay with it :smile: but it'll probably be fine

No problem :smile:
Not sure about specific modules, but from the timetable I sent on the second link, it looks to be computational thinking for the first few weeks.

Yeah, hopefully it all goes well, if not then I'll get around it I'm sure haha :P
Reply 22
Original post by Crydamoure
A fairly remote place in North Devon, so Cardiff's gonna be a completely new experience for me.

Pretty stoked for it though. :biggrin:

Oh I love devon and Cornwall :smile: I live in a small village in North Somerset so it's a change for me too ><

Did you study a levels? Or did you do other courses?
Reply 23
Original post by Alex2539
No problem :smile:
Not sure about specific modules, but from the timetable I sent on the second link, it looks to be computational thinking for the first few weeks.

Yeah, hopefully it all goes well, if not then I'll get around it I'm sure haha :P

Yeah the modules are all like OS structure, problem solving with python, java etc and then like software modules so it sounds pretty fun :smile:
I'm doing CompSci! Staying at Senghennydd Hall :smile:
Reply 25
I'm interested in doing comp sci next year, and was just wandering what were your grades if you don't mind me asking
I'm doing Computer Science too! Senghennydd court- House F
Original post by alicecole_

I've seen you on the CS facebook page lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by wb25
I'm interested in doing comp sci next year, and was just wandering what were your grades if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a BTEC in I.T, the very minimum entry requirement for Cardiff CS course was D*D*D* and grade B in maths.. not sure what A-level requirements are sorry- but I'll find out later:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've seen you on the CS facebook page lol :smile:

Ahh cool! Are you excited to start?
Original post by wb25

I did A-levels in Literature, ICT and Computing and I had to get ABB:smile:.
Oh I love devon and Cornwall :smile: I live in a small village in North Somerset so it's a change for me too ><

Did you study a levels? Or did you do other courses?

Well, the countryside, landscapes, views etc. are nice and all... but it gets rather boring once you realise there's not exactly a great deal to do, especially round here xD I'm at least 2 hours from my nearest city (Exeter).
I did indeed - Maths, Physics & Chemistry. How about yourself?

Also, just a general question: how many of you guys have prior experience with programming?
Reply 31

Omg another girl. :L
I'm am so happy that you're on the course! Haha I was expecting me to be the only one ...

When do you move in? :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Crydamoure
Well, the countryside, landscapes, views etc. are nice and all... but it gets rather boring once you realise there's not exactly a great deal to do, especially round here xD I'm at least 2 hours from my nearest city (Exeter).
I did indeed - Maths, Physics & Chemistry. How about yourself?

Also, just a general question: how many of you guys have prior experience with programming?

Yeah... that's a little worse than me I guess..
And I did a btec in IT (software development) .. We did what they call programming with VB...so that's all I know, but I guess it's better than nothing haha :L
Ahh cool! Are you excited to start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am pretty excited, the timetable looks pretty busy for the first few weeks though haha.. I'm more excited about moving into halls and meeting people though to be honest :smile: how about you?
Omg another girl. :L
I'm am so happy that you're on the course! Haha I was expecting me to be the only one ...

When do you move in? :smile:

Woo! I know 1 other girl too so there's at least 3 of us ha! I move in next Friday so the 19th, you?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I am pretty excited, the timetable looks pretty busy for the first few weeks though haha.. I'm more excited about moving into halls and meeting people though to be honest :smile: how about you?

Yeah it does look pretty busy, should ease up later on though and become more independent work. Yeah me too can't wait for freshers!
Reply 36
Woo! I know 1 other girl too so there's at least 3 of us ha! I move in next Friday so the 19th, you?

So glad to hear that :smile:
And I moved in to my house today :smile: (I'm renting it privately) literally just hung up my last lot of clothes haha

You excited to start?

(PS us compSci girls should go to the pub/night out during freshers)
So glad to hear that :smile:
And I moved in to my house today :smile: (I'm renting it privately) literally just hung up my last lot of clothes haha

You excited to start?

(PS us compSci girls should go to the pub/night out during freshers)

Ahh cool! Yeah I can't wait to start now, hopefully i won't freak out when it's really hard haha! You? What experience do you have?
Yeah a night out sounds good!! Do you have Facebook?
Reply 38
Ahh cool! Yeah I can't wait to start now, hopefully i won't freak out when it's really hard haha! You? What experience do you have?
Yeah a night out sounds good!! Do you have Facebook?

Oh don't worry.. I'm super worried about mucking up exams and stuff so I think we're all a little scared..
And I've had experience with programming (only VB though) and I'm okay with hardware (built my own pc) you?

And yeah ill PM you a link now :smile:
Yeah... that's a little worse than me I guess..
And I did a btec in IT (software development) .. We did what they call programming with VB...so that's all I know, but I guess it's better than nothing haha :L

True :tongue: I've messed around in Python a bit, haven't done anything particularly complex though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending