Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And also, what are some of the best NON-RG unis?
    I applied for a RG Uni to do Law and didn't get in, I'm now going to Kent, which actually scored higher in both the league tables and on websites such as Unistats etc. So why do people fuss about going to a RG Uni, is it that much better than a non-RG uni?
    Thoughts?

ps. sorry I didn't know where to put this?!

ReputationRep:
    im interested in knowing about this too. A friend of mine told me to stick to kent because it is in the RG but it turns out it isnt, Saying that though kent is better than some of the unis in the RG so0 whats the fuss?

ReputationRep:
    Another one of life's mysteries.

ReputationRep:
    outside of the top 6/7 Russel group the rest are painfully average and no better than a decent non Russel group. Ignore the bs about the 'elite' Russel group, most of them are overrated.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression it was mostly hype from the Russel's themselves. I think if you're anywhere near the top 20 (a la Kent) it's gonna be good uni no matter what puffed up group they're attached to.

ReputationRep:
    Russel Group universities stay Russel Group universities, year in, year out. The hype surrounding the Russel Group is sourced in the fact that they're especially funded wrt research, and are all dedicated to bringing in the best staff and students, which ups the general calibre of the staff/student body, which in theory earns the universities good results so they attain a high place on the league table and draw in more students, which ups the income (another one of their values). People are attracted to groups like these because they're officially recognised; it's like seeing something with a seal of approval. You don't really stop to think who gave it that seal of approval. I guess it's kind of like the feeling you get when someone says 'Oxbridge', although less so.

It's an elitism jam. Just look at the student satisfaction for whatever university, how well it does in your subject, and you should be good to go. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einnap101)
    And also, what are some of the best NON-RG unis?
    I applied for a RG Uni to do Law and didn't get in, I'm now going to Kent, which actually scored higher in both the league tables and on websites such as Unistats etc. So why do people fuss about going to a RG Uni, is it that much better than a non-RG uni?
    Thoughts?

ps. sorry I didn't know where to put this?!
    I found myself in the same position as you and, having missed my AAA grades, lost my offers for Law at my nominated RG's. I was offered an alternative course but declined and decided to take my chances in clearing.
    I've opted for Aberystwyth uni but readily admit to concern that I will be at a huge disadvantage being outside the RG. Checking out the stats however, it appears that as many people end up with a first or 2:1 from Aber as at some RG's. Surely that's what we'll ultimately be measured by?
    It doesn't appear to have affected the career prospects of Aber alumni anyway.. plus I'll be going to a beach uni
    I've asked the Law RG question elsewhere on tsr and have been assured that very few employers have a hang-up about non-RGs.

I remember Lancaster uni coming into my college to give a presentation. Most of the audience, mainly professionals, couldn't even identify RG uni's when presented with a list! It seems to be the RG uni's themselves that are driving the hype :rolleyes:

Have you firmed Kent? Best of luck to you anyway

ReputationRep:
    Russel Group uni's are so called because they are as far as I'm aware a lobbying group of universities that campaign for stuff in parliament as a group. There's also the 1994 group and the millennium group etc. Generally though if a uni is in the top 20-30 overall your doing well. Look at your course standing too and student satisfaction and employment rates after graduation. Those are very important generally I'd it's a university like Kent, Sussex, Surrey,Exeter, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge etc it's one that employers are going to hve heard of and know also make sure your course is accredited by the appropriate body for your field. For example I study physics at Kent (will be first year now, was foundation year student last year) and my course is accredited by the Institute of Physics so as far as employment afterwards goes that should be a plus point as the Ip are basically saying the degree meets the national standards they require to accredit a course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willowbob)
    I found myself in the same position as you and, having missed my AAA grades, lost my offers for Law at my nominated RG's. I was offered an alternative course but declined and decided to take my chances in clearing.
    I've opted for Aberystwyth uni but readily admit to concern that I will be at a huge disadvantage being outside the RG. Checking out the stats however, it appears that as many people end up with a first or 2:1 from Aber as at some RG's. Surely that's what we'll ultimately be measured by?
    It doesn't appear to have affected the career prospects of Aber alumni anyway.. plus I'll be going to a beach uni
    I've asked the Law RG question elsewhere on tsr and have been assured that very few employers have a hang-up about non-RGs.

I remember Lancaster uni coming into my college to give a presentation. Most of the audience, mainly professionals, couldn't even identify RG uni's when presented with a list! It seems to be the RG uni's themselves that are driving the hype :rolleyes:

Have you firmed Kent? Best of luck to you anyway
    Kent was my insurance, but yeah I'm going there now! Still happy haha. I just don't get why everyone is so obsessed with going to a russel group uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extermin8or)
    Russel Group uni's are so called because they are as far as I'm aware a lobbying group of universities that campaign for stuff in parliament as a group. There's also the 1994 group and the millennium group etc. Generally though if a uni is in the top 20-30 overall your doing well. Look at your course standing too and student satisfaction and employment rates after graduation. Those are very important generally I'd it's a university like Kent, Sussex, Surrey,Exeter, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge etc it's one that employers are going to hve heard of and know also make sure your course is accredited by the appropriate body for your field. For example I study physics at Kent (will be first year now, was foundation year student last year) and my course is accredited by the Institute of Physics so as far as employment afterwards goes that should be a plus point as the Ip are basically saying the degree meets the national standards they require to accredit a course.
    I think everyone's misunderstanding. I know what russel group is, I'm happy with going to a non RG uni, but I want to know why everyone is so obsessed with going to one and why it's such a big deal if you don't. I saw a post from a newspaper saying how if you don't go to a rgu then you shouldn't bother going uni at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.