Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear reader,

I want to become a barrister and have just finished my A-levels but instead of opting for a law degree that I may hate and eventually drop, I have gone for perhaps the more sensible option of an international business degree and then to complete a law conversion course (GDL) at a highly-reputed institution. However, I was just wondering whether the university I attend for my degree will have an effect on whether or not I'll be able to secure a sponsor from a law firm that will then pay for me through my one-year course. ie, is attending a Russell group uni that important as opposed to a university such as kent or Essex?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the sol route myself, so I am sure others will chime in but, check out whether you can get any sponsorship through prizes and scholarships and that kind of thing. There seem to be a lot of this kind of thing around the bar.

Also, REALLY do some research into whether you want to go to the bar - it is ultra ultra competitive and - let's say - rather conservative. Also, the bar appears to be contracting as legal aid has been slashed so comprehensively.

Law is very conservative generally and - it seems to me - where you go to university affects a great deal of things in law! but i will let someone else tell you whether it affects whether someone will pay for GDL (you also need to worry about the bar training course which is EVEN more expensive than the GDL!

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't interested in Laws (you may hate it you say) what makes you think you might have a career?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.