Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tablet recommendation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I start studying Games Programming at uni in September and I am looking at buying a tablet for note taking in lectures. My reasoning is for ease of keeping all my notes with me in one place without carrying lots of different notepads around with me. I have a laptop for assignments and projects so it's not as a replacement. It's simply for taking notes and keeping them backed up digitally. I will be using applications for scribbling notes rather than trying to type them. I'm toying between an iPad or Android tablet such as Samsung Galaxy Tab or Google Nexus. Money isn't an issue at all. I'm just wondering which has the best functionality and features for what I intend to use it for which is note taking, maybe using office/pdf's and minor editing of them, reading e-books and probably playing the odd game at home. I have an iPhone so an iPad would be nice for syncing my apps from my phone but I'm not sure how good they actually are for note taking, has anyone used them for this and which apps do you use?

ReputationRep:
    Get one of the tablets from either the Galaxy Note or Surface Pro lines, their Wacom digitisers and styli will make a world of difference for handwritten notes. The upcoming Surface Pro 3 would probably be ideal, it's got a large and high res 12" display so you won't be cramped up writing notes (for reference an A4 sheet of paper is 13.3" diagonally), has solid stylus functionality, and runs full Windows with excellent keyboard/trackpad covers for using it to get actual work done or playing proper PC games, with hardware options starting from an i3 up through to i7s depending on if you wanted to do anything intensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Get one of the tablets from either the Galaxy Note or Surface Pro lines, their Wacom digitisers and styli will make a world of difference for handwritten notes. The upcoming Surface Pro 3 would probably be ideal, it's got a large and high res 12" display so you won't be cramped up writing notes (for reference an A4 sheet of paper is 13.3" diagonally), has solid stylus functionality, and runs full Windows with excellent keyboard/trackpad covers for using it to get actual work done or playing proper PC games, with hardware options starting from an i3 up through to i7s depending on if you wanted to do anything intensive.
    Surface Pro 3 looks tempting. It's a bit steep in price though considering the keyboard is an extra £110 on top. It does seem to have everything though, minus the ugly windows 8 that I've never liked it does run office and allows you to scribble handwritten notes on top of documents. Thanks for the recommendations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayinator)
    I start studying Games Programming at uni in September and I am looking at buying a tablet for note taking in lectures. My reasoning is for ease of keeping all my notes with me in one place without carrying lots of different notepads around with me. I have a laptop for assignments and projects so it's not as a replacement. It's simply for taking notes and keeping them backed up digitally. I will be using applications for scribbling notes rather than trying to type them. I'm toying between an iPad or Android tablet such as Samsung Galaxy Tab or Google Nexus. Money isn't an issue at all. I'm just wondering which has the best functionality and features for what I intend to use it for which is note taking, maybe using office/pdf's and minor editing of them, reading e-books and probably playing the odd game at home. I have an iPhone so an iPad would be nice for syncing my apps from my phone but I'm not sure how good they actually are for note taking, has anyone used them for this and which apps do you use?
    Its going to be a distraction, nor great for notes.........pen+paper is still the best for making notes to be honest.
    Reading powerpoints, pdfs, etc its good, other than that, pretty much not that great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Its going to be a distraction, nor great for notes.........pen+paper is still the best for making notes to be honest.
    Reading powerpoints, pdfs, etc its good, other than that, pretty much not that great.
    I'm not worried about it being a distraction to be fair. Being 23 as opposed to below 20 when most people start uni, I'm pretty confident in my ability to focus on my studies. It's more of not wanting to carry too many books around since I'll be having to travel about 1hr 30mins to my uni each day and wanting somewhere to keep everything in one place. Since it means I can transfer my notes to Dropbox and access them on my laptop to open up side by side with what I'm doing or do minor work on assignments during my travels to/from uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 16, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.