The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Gizos
Why'd you say that? Everyone I've seen so far that has a geophysics offer has either A*AA or A*AAA. I believe it USED to be AAA as a minimum but it got increased this summer to include a minimum of one A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an email from them a while ago that said:
'We look forward to reading your applications soon. You will see on UCAS that we are considering applications from AAA or equivalent. If you need any advice or support, drop us an email. It is departmental policy to interview all students before making an offer and you will learn lots more about the department at that time.'
:smile:
Original post by danimorais
Could I ask everyone in general how long it took for you to get your first offer? So anxious! (Sent mine off last Friday)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you- I've got mine within span of 3-5 days, rest within a week or three. UCL took the longest- but the results were pleasurable.
Original post by Citipati
Keeping my fingers crossed for you- I've got mine within span of 3-5 days, rest within a week or three. UCL took the longest- but the results were pleasurable.

Thanks so much! I can't stop checking my email. So generally would you say for Geology courses, around a week is the average wait?
Thanks so much! I can't stop checking my email. So generally would you say for Geology courses, around a week is the average wait?

I've only got one offer which arrived a week after i sent off, so yeah but may take longer around this time as more people are sending it off
Reply 384
Original post by Tforce
'We look forward to reading your applications soon. You will see on UCAS that we are considering applications from AAA or equivalent. If you need any advice or support, drop us an email. It is departmental policy to interview all students before making an offer and you will learn lots more about the department at that time.'

Perhaps it depends on the applicants circumstances, their personal statement and the number of people with higher predictions applying? My guess is they'll be a few they will give lower offers out to, like you say, even though the website says they don't because a number of high calibre applicants may still go elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jords13
I've only got one offer which arrived a week after i sent off, so yeah but may take longer around this time as more people are sending it off

how long ago was that? and to what university if you don't mind me asking? hate the wait!
how long ago was that? and to what university if you don't mind me asking? hate the wait!

I sent it off on 18th November so 2 weeks and a day ago. only got one offer (Leicester) and 2 interviews (Southampton and Imperial). I know what you mean about the wait but at least there's no rejections yet!
Reply 387

I think it really depends on the university, how many other people have applied and how your grades stack up to theirs. So if your in the middle they may keep you but if it looks like you're a really good choice predictions and previous results wise they'll more than likely give you an offer ASAP.

btw my first one took about a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jords13
I sent it off on 18th November so 2 weeks and a day ago. only got one offer (Leicester) and 2 interviews (Southampton and Imperial). I know what you mean about the wait but at least there's no rejections yet!

Well that's true! I've got all my acknowledgements but nothing more. All the best for your interviews!
Original post by Gizos
I think it really depends on the university, how many other people have applied and how your grades stack up to theirs. So if your in the middle they may keep you but if it looks like you're a really good choice predictions and previous results wise they'll more than likely give you an offer ASAP.

btw my first one took about a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah, well I slightly fall below the entry requirements for 2 of the unis so hopefully I still do get considered (don't worry, I emailed them before I applied to see my chances). What uni was your offer for if you don't mind me asking?
Well that's true! I've got all my acknowledgements but nothing more. All the best for your interviews!

Thanks, and best of luck with your application. :smile:
Reply 391
ah, well I slightly fall below the entry requirements for 2 of the unis so hopefully I still do get considered (don't worry, I emailed them before I applied to see my chances). What uni was your offer for if you don't mind me asking?

My first one was UCL but I don't think you applied there anyway :wink: AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yay geophysics offer at Imperial :smile:

Yes- but this again is controlled by the department and their time (there's a new wave of applicants so it might take some more time), especially when going to the competitive ones. Rumour has it that the longer the wait the lesser the chances of rejection.
Original post by Citipati
Yes- but this again is controlled by the department and their time (there's a new wave of applicants so it might take some more time), especially when going to the competitive ones. Rumour has it that the longer the wait the lesser the chances of rejection.

Would you say Leicester/Liverpool is competitive for Geology? At least one offer by Christmas would be nice :biggrin: + haha gives me a bit of hope, would hate to wait ages only to get a rejection :frown:
Would you say Leicester/Liverpool is competitive for Geology? At least one offer by Christmas would be nice :biggrin: + haha gives me a bit of hope, would hate to wait ages only to get a rejection :frown:

Liverpool possibly (it is a Russell group one) and ranked among top tens (I live close to it; but loathe Liverpool too much to live in it); Leicester less so, but it is a fairly well-set on Geology (quite high on rankings- for not a Russell group one). I got my offer from Leicester (with a scholarship) within span of days. So I persume it is not as competitive.
Original post by Tforce

That doesn't mean they'll give out AAA offers, it means exactly what they wrote - they will consider applications from AAA or equivalent. I honestly find it hard to believe that they'd be giving out AAA offers.
At the interview day Lorraine Craig said that they give out a few AAA offers every year, definitely don't count yourself out.
I was informed on todays parents day that I am working on A*A*A level and am likley to end up with such results.
Is there a possibility of applying to Oxbridge, or changing the Univeristy, if I get grades few levels above my predicted?
Hey everyone! Got unconditional offers from aberdeen, glasgow and edinburgh for geology/earth sciences! Still unsure of where to go though. Swaying towards the geology and petroleum geology course at aberdeen! Has anyone else applied to aberdeen, glasgow or edinburgh? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending