The Student Room Group

Which university?

Hello, I finally got my AS level results. I got AAAB, The A's where in Biology, Geography and English literature & language. I got a B in Maths. I am disappointed in Maths because I was 4 marks of an A. Plus I was predicted an A in maths. I want to study Biology preferably in a Russell Group/prestigious university. Forget Oxbridge. So my question is, is Bristol and UCL worth applying to? I'm worried because I didn't get an A in maths but too scared for a remark because what if it gets lowered?

Cheers guys, I really appreciate if you read through this and reply. :smile: x
Do you mean are Bristol and UCL worth applying to as universities, or is it worth you personally applying to Bristol and UCL?
If you check the university's entry requirement page, it should tell you whether a B in maths will be considered by them :smile: . Don't make any decision until you have done your research into it :yep:
Firstly, I wouldn't forget Oxbridge because of those grades. Cambridge yes, but you've got an (admittedly small) chance for Oxford.

And yes, Bristol and UCL are definitely worth applying to. Your AS results are really good! Obviously it would have been better if you got an A in Maths, but I don't think Maths is of critical importance for Biology. I'm not an expert in either university, but I think you're probably a really decent candidate for them.

You've got nothing to lose (apart from money) with respect to the Maths remark. If you've got a high B, then it's virtually impossible for you to drop a grade with a remark because you would have to lose so many points for that to happen. The remark probably isn't going to change anything since there's not really a lot of subjectivity when it comes to Maths so it's unlikely the examiner marked you incorrectly, but there is a small chance that you could be marked up.
Original post by DontWantYourBloodMoney
Do you mean are Bristol and UCL worth applying to as universities, or is it worth you personally applying to Bristol and UCL?

I mean are my grades/subject combination good enough to apply to UCL and Bristol.
Original post by Hestia Demeter
I mean are my grades/subject combination good enough to apply to UCL and Bristol.

They are more than good enough. If your GCSEs are of a similar high standard, then the only reason they would reject you would be a bad personal statement (so get working on it).

The only thing I'd check is whether they require Chemistry (just checked, and no).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
Firstly, I wouldn't forget Oxbridge because of those grades. Cambridge yes, but you've got an (admittedly small) chance for Oxford.

And yes, Bristol and UCL are definitely worth applying to. Your AS results are really good! Obviously it would have been better if you got an A in Maths, but I don't think Maths is of critical importance for Biology. I'm not an expert in either university, but I think you're probably a really decent candidate for them.

You've got nothing to lose (apart from money) with respect to the Maths remark. If you've got a high B, then it's virtually impossible for you to drop a grade with a remark because you would have to lose so many points for that to happen. The remark probably isn't going to change anything since there's not really a lot of subjectivity when it comes to Maths so it's unlikely the examiner marked you incorrectly, but there is a small chance that you could be marked up.

I have no way of knowing if Cambridge/Oxford would accept me due to the fact that I'm not taking chemistry. Although I will take maths which some universities accept if not taking chemistry. On Oxford's entry requirements there seems to be no clear indication of chemistry being a necessity it just says 'The A* must be in a science or Mathematics' however I don't think I have very strong grades nor do I have very 'sciencey' subjects. I will have to write my personal statement but I don't think it will be strong so for these reasons I don't feel I am a good candidate. Would you agree/disagree?
Original post by PythianLegume
They are more than good enough. If your GCSEs are of a similar high standard, then the only reason they would reject you would be a bad personal statement (so get working on it).

The only thing I'd check is whether they require Chemistry (just checked, and no).

Thanks for the advice :smile:
I have no way of knowing if Cambridge/Oxford would accept me due to the fact that I'm not taking chemistry. Although I will take maths which some universities accept if not taking chemistry. On Oxford's entry requirements there seems to be no clear indication of chemistry being a necessity it just says 'The A* must be in a science or Mathematics' however I don't think I have very strong grades nor do I have very 'sciencey' subjects. I will have to write my personal statement but I don't think it will be strong so for these reasons I don't feel I am a good candidate. Would you agree/disagree?

You do not need Chemistry for Oxford. It doesn't say Chemistry on the requirements, so that means it's not required. You're not the strongest candidate, but I'd say you've definitely got a chance. It's certainly worth applying, if you're interested.

Yes. They're definitely good enough and a fine combination.

These are things I've thought of including in my personal statement. Please do tell if these are worth including or not.

-Work experience in Specsavers (don't know if this is relevant)
-Books read such as 'Introducing genetics-Steve Jones', 'Origins Human Evolution-Douglas Palmer'.
-Field trip-mathematical skills like collecting and manipulating data
-Currently working as a volunteer in a national trust site where I do gardening (which I can link with conservation)
-A 2 day trip to Oxford university where a medical student set us a problem to solve. (just for the record do I have to write down the question). It was something on the lines of how we could go about proving yoghurt can improve our digestive system/health.
-undertaken a 1 day programme in Thinktank about Forensic science. (where I had to conduct a variety of scientific experiments).

That's basically it.
Yes. They're definitely good enough and a fine combination.

I'm really paranoid. You sure? And shall I take 4 subjects at A2 level.
These are things I've thought of including in my personal statement. Please do tell if these are worth including or not.

-Work experience in Specsavers (don't know if this is relevant)
-Books read such as 'Introducing genetics-Steve Jones', 'Origins Human Evolution-Douglas Palmer'.
-Field trip-mathematical skills like collecting and manipulating data
-Currently working as a volunteer in a national trust site where I do gardening (which I can link with conservation)
-A 2 day trip to Oxford university where a medical student set us a problem to solve. (just for the record do I have to write down the question). It was something on the lines of how we could go about proving yoghurt can improve our digestive system/health.
-undertaken a 1 day programme in Thinktank about Forensic science. (where I had to conduct a variety of scientific experiments).

That's basically it.

Specsavers is certainly irrelevant if it's just work experience (if it's a long term weekend job, it could be worth a sentence, I suppose). The books are great things to talk about - don't just list them, say something about them; what did you get from them? National Trust is somewhat irrelevant. The various trips you've been on seem relevant, but again make sure you say something more about them than just 'I went on this trip'.
shall I take 4 subjects at A2 level.

That depends on how much work you want to put in. Taking 4 subjects will be much more difficult and time-consuming than 3, but with your AS grades you're certainly capable of it. It's unnecessary, but may strengthen your application (especially if you choose to apply to Oxford).
Specsavers is certainly irrelevant if it's just work experience (if it's a long term weekend job, it could be worth a sentence, I suppose). The books are great things to talk about - don't just list them, say something about them; what did you get from them? National Trust is somewhat irrelevant. The various trips you've been on seem relevant, but again make sure you say something more about them than just 'I went on this trip'.

What else shall I do? Would watching a science show/lecture of some sort be relevant? I really don't know what to include (any tips if you have any). I need something that's quick and simple but biology related that I can quickly do in the last remaining weeks of the holiday because after I just want to focus on A2. :confused:
I'm really paranoid. You sure? And shall I take 4 subjects at A2 level.

Yes I'm sure, combined with a strong PS you should be absolutely fine. In your position I would take 3 and try to do as well as possible. Taking four subjects, although conceivably resulting in having four top grades, is obviously much more difficult than taking 3. It's Bristol or UCL you're looking at, I'd stick with three, you're not in a position where you need to take risks.
Yes I'm sure, combined with a strong PS you should be absolutely fine. In your position I would take 3 and try to do as well as possible. Taking four subjects, although conceivably resulting in having four top grades, is obviously much more difficult than taking 3. It's Bristol or UCL you're looking at, I'd stick with three, you're not in a position where you need to take risks.

Would you think I'm worthy for Oxford or Cambridge? Or is that too far fetched?
(edited 9 years ago)
Would you think I'm worthy for Oxford or Cambridge? Or is that too far fetched?

I think you've definitely got the potential if you keep up the work and study plenty. There's no reason why you couldn't put in an oxford/ Cambridge option down on your ucas if you're prepared to put in the amount of work they'll require from your a levels.
What else shall I do? Would watching a science show/lecture of some sort be relevant? I really don't know what to include (any tips if you have any). I need something that's quick and simple but biology related that I can quickly do in the last remaining weeks of the holiday because after I just want to focus on A2. :confused:

The best thing is to read around the subject - find parts you're interested in. Most of your Personal Statement should be about why you want to study the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest