Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, hope I'm posting in the right place ... :/

This year I'm going to be doing Maths, Physics and Classics to A2, with an A in Latin at AS. I had previously thought I was going to apply for Classics, but my weakest subject at AS was Latin at 83% UMS, so Classics probably wasn't for the best! I got 87% UMS in Classics and 94 and 97 percent in Maths and Physics respectively. I'm stuck between Economics and PPE for university.

I really enjoy Economics and have done work experience with a stockbroking firm, but I haven't done it as a formal subject and all the unis (especially Cambridge and LSE) say it's highly desirable. On top of that I've got no further maths, the other thing they say they like. Will my application be handicapped because of this?

My alternative is PPE, which I think I would enjoy just as much, and even better, it has no specified subjects, so I'm in the clear there. However, Cambridge does not do PPE, so my top choice would be Oxford, which bugs me because then I'd essentially be throwing my good UMS (especially in Maths and Physics) down the drain, as Oxford don't ask for UMS, and would have to take the TSA which is another hurdle to get over ...

I'd love to hear your thoughts ... and sorry if a similar thread has been answered already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.naylor64)
    Hi all, hope I'm posting in the right place ... :/

This year I'm going to be doing Maths, Physics and Classics to A2, with an A in Latin at AS. I had previously thought I was going to apply for Classics, but my weakest subject at AS was Latin at 83% UMS, so Classics probably wasn't for the best! I got 87% UMS in Classics and 94 and 97 percent in Maths and Physics respectively. I'm stuck between Economics and PPE for university.

I really enjoy Economics and have done work experience with a stockbroking firm, but I haven't done it as a formal subject and all the unis (especially Cambridge and LSE) say it's highly desirable. On top of that I've got no further maths, the other thing they say they like. Will my application be handicapped because of this?

My alternative is PPE, which I think I would enjoy just as much, and even better, it has no specified subjects, so I'm in the clear there. However, Cambridge does not do PPE, so my top choice would be Oxford, which bugs me because then I'd essentially be throwing my good UMS (especially in Maths and Physics) down the drain, as Oxford don't ask for UMS, and would have to take the TSA which is another hurdle to get over ...

I'd love to hear your thoughts ... and sorry if a similar thread has been answered already!
    I'd say it's a push to go for Cambridge and LSE without FM or economics as both are recommended... however, it's not unheard of. As long as you have the right grades you would get in regardless if you conveyed economics interest at interview.

If you work out your top 3 average, it comes to over 93 which is certainly good enough for Cambridge, placing you probably above average for applicants and you'll qualify for autopooling. You should get an interview if you apply carefully - pick a college that doesn't specify any required/highly recommended A levels other than Maths which is of course a prerequisite.

If you truly prefer PPE over economics then go for PPE. I believe LSE and UCL now offer it, along with the existing Warwick PPE course. You still have to sit the TSA for Economics I believe at some colleges, and let's be honest, if you're good enough for Cambridge, you're good enough for Oxford (no bias).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.