The Student Room Group

1 UMS mark off an A In Biology AS

Hi everybody, just got my results back on the 14th, and I'm wondering is it worth having my paper remarked (Because it is so expensive!) since I'm only one UMS mark off an A. I'm aware that having it remarked may mean I drop marks too, but is it possible that I could drop a whole grade? ://// Whats the likelihood of gaining/dropping marks on a remark?
Original post by Aliyaaa_h
Hi everybody, just got my results back on the 14th, and I'm wondering is it worth having my paper remarked (Because it is so expensive!) since I'm only one UMS mark off an A. I'm aware that having it remarked may mean I drop marks too, but is it possible that I could drop a whole grade? ://// Whats the likelihood of gaining/dropping marks on a remark?

Yes, of course it is possible to drop a grade, yes of course it is possible for it to go up or down.

Get a remark (not a priority, just a normal one)
(edited 9 years ago)

Honestly, this cannot be answered. I personally would go for a remark. You genuinely aren't going to drop enough to fall out of a boundary surely... you're at the TOP end of a B... You're not going to loose more than 5 I would think. Overall. If that.

I mean, it's all possible but it's sooooo unlikely when you're at the top of the grade boundary... literally the very top as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3

Most likely, you won't drop an entire grade.

Remarking scripts is nearly always a waste as your script has been checked several times by different examiners.

You could either resist this unit and achieve a higher raw mark (best case scenario) or you could obtain higher marks in a heavy weighing module.
Reply 4
Remark. Remark. Remark. If possible send off 2 papers. Was in exactly the same position last year with GCSE Biology, 1 ums mark off remarked and it went up
Reply 5
I was in this position last year (6 marks off an A in biology) and I worked really hard at A2 and managed to achieve an A* overall. As long as you put the work in next year, then I wouldn't worry about getting a remark because like you said, your grade could go down as well, making it harder for you to achieve an A overall next year. Universities tend to look at predicted grades as well (if applying to university is what's concerning you) so you can always ask your teacher to predict you an A and you would still usually get a place regardless of your AS grade, then just work that little bit harder to achieve it next year!
It won't matter too much to your overall grade, as that is a total of all your UMS. I'd ask for your paper back before deciding whether a remark would be viable.

This is all assuming you are doing edexcel, though.

Quick Reply

Latest