Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing a levels whilst depressed- advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I received my AS results yesterday and I got CDE, I'm a very capable student and achieved A*'s and A's in my gcses.
    I didn't do so well this year because of the fact that I had depression, I went to doctors during the year but I felt she wasn't very sympathetic despite telling me I was depressed. So I did a bit of counselling and then my mother found out who doesn't understand this sort of illness, so I stopped. By the time it got to exam season, I had about an hour of sleep every night and was constantly battling suicidal thoughts(especially during my exams)
    I was so demotivated and constantly tired, I was probably in the worst mental state ever, I didn't even think id make it alive to see results day, to be fair.
    I'm seeing my head teacher in about two weeks to discuss my future at the school. I need to explain why I got the grades that I did but I don't know if he'll take me serious enough
    I do plan on going back to my gp next week (going to see a different doctor hopefully) so something can be done about my sleep issues and possibly put me on antidepressants because counselling wasn't working out for me
    I'm wondering if I could get a doctors note to show my head teacher, I mean because I've been to the doctor before everything should be on the system.
    Will this help me with my case to carry on with a2 re doing my as and making an overall improvement?
    Also any tips for talking to my doctor?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you've had a hard year! Going back to the doctors is a good idea, you want to be able to achieve the most you can next year! They may write you a note but it won't really do much now, just telling your head teacher should be enough! He will understand and sympathise, there will be loads of people at your school in exactly the same position because it's so common! The doctor most likely won't prescribe you anything, they can't if you're under 18 so you'll be referred back to counselling - you should go with an open mind in order to get the most out of it Hope you start feeling better soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A future Midwife)
    Sounds like you've had a hard year! Going back to the doctors is a good idea, you want to be able to achieve the most you can next year! They may write you a note but it won't really do much now, just telling your head teacher should be enough! He will understand and sympathise, there will be loads of people at your school in exactly the same position because it's so common! The doctor most likely won't prescribe you anything, they can't if you're under 18 so you'll be referred back to counselling - you should go with an open mind in order to get the most out of it Hope you start feeling better soon
    I was ill enough to be prescribed stuff at 16 (with my consent - they won't force anything onto you), the second type I tried changed my life. If I were you, I'd consider it. They won't tell your parents, even though they'll encourage you to talk about it with them. My parents started off the same way and are now really, really supportive - I never thought that would happen! It'll all shake out right

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation last year but I was 18 so I just said I wanted antidepressants which they put me on and really helped me. Unless there's an underlying issue that can be resolved, counselling should help, for me, it did nothing apart from waste my time.
    However I did stop taking them because they made me put on weight (I'm already a big girl to begin with so that just added to my depression).

When do you turn 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einnap101)
    I was in a similar situation last year but I was 18 so I just said I wanted antidepressants which they put me on and really helped me. Unless there's an underlying issue that can be resolved, counselling should help, for me, it did nothing apart from waste my time.
    However I did stop taking them because they made me put on weight (I'm already a big girl to begin with so that just added to my depression).

When do you turn 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Next May :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hs_anonymous)
    Next May :/
    Ahh! I think if you explain your situation to your doctor in full, and tell them how much you need to succeed at school and don't want a small-age barrier to mess things up for you, maybe they'd be able to help you, make an exception etc. Also if you tell your school, I think you can get special circumstances (or whatever it's called) so Unis know what's been going on. With regards to getting into A2 though, just talking to your headteacher or whoever, they'll definitely sympathise with you! My college did and they stopped harassing me for not coming into some lessons or participating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einnap101)
    Ahh! I think if you explain your situation to your doctor in full, and tell them how much you need to succeed at school and don't want a small-age barrier to mess things up for you, maybe they'd be able to help you, make an exception etc. Also if you tell your school, I think you can get special circumstances (or whatever it's called) so Unis know what's been going on. With regards to getting into A2 though, just talking to your headteacher or whoever, they'll definitely sympathise with you! My college did and they stopped harassing me for not coming into some lessons or participating.
    Yeah and the head of my sixth form knows I've had a bad year, so hopefully he can vouch for me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.