Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having such a hard time deciding what to do next. I achieved (if you can consider these grades and achievement) CDDE at AS and now I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I know that applying to university the require ABB and higher is out of the question, but the lowest l've seen for the course I want to do is 260 UCAS points, and I'm not even sure if achieving that with these grades is possible. So I guess what I'm asking is whether there is even a possibility of achieving a BBB (the requirements for the course I want to do at my preferred university) at the end of A2 or should I just retake the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandafight)
    I'm having such a hard time deciding what to do next. I achieved (if you can consider these grades and achievement) CDDE at AS and now I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I know that applying to university the require ABB and higher is out of the question, but the lowest l've seen for the course I want to do is 260 UCAS points, and I'm not even sure if achieving that with these grades is possible. So I guess what I'm asking is whether there is even a possibility of achieving a BBB (the requirements for the course I want to do at my preferred university) at the end of A2 or should I just retake the year.
    Hi there, thought I'd contribute because i was in a similar situation last year and managed to turn it around.

For AS i did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, and got BBCE respecticely. I wasn't happy at all, and I thought it meant the end of any good higher education program for me. I dropped Chemistry, and continued on with Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I applied for Bath, Birmingham, UEA, Liverpool and Brighton, and got offers from all 5 even though my grades weren't up to any of their requirements. I think this was due to my personal statement, and I would urge you to take your time and make your personal statement outstanding. If a university can see that you're passinoate and thrilled by your subject, then they'll give you an offer any way. If you get interviewed then make sure you ace it, it really makes all the difference.

So anyway, i worked hard all year, doing 5 retakes ontop of 8 other exams. It was SO much work, doing every past paper, every revision session, re-writing all my notes and learning essays off by heart, but I ended up with A*AA (A* in maths), and got into birmingham, my first choice. I know my AS grades were slightly better than yours, but i hope this shows you that it is 100% possible to turn mediocre grades into fantastic ones. I wish you all the best my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollz272)
    Hi there, thought I'd contribute because i was in a similar situation last year and managed to turn it around.

For AS i did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, and got BBCE respecticely. I wasn't happy at all, and I thought it meant the end of any good higher education program for me. I dropped Chemistry, and continued on with Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I applied for Bath, Birmingham, UEA, Liverpool and Brighton, and got offers from all 5 even though my grades weren't up to any of their requirements. I think this was due to my personal statement, and I would urge you to take your time and make your personal statement outstanding. If a university can see that you're passinoate and thrilled by your subject, then they'll give you an offer any way. If you get interviewed then make sure you ace it, it really makes all the difference.

So anyway, i worked hard all year, doing 5 retakes ontop of 8 other exams. It was SO much work, doing every past paper, every revision session, re-writing all my notes and learning essays off by heart, but I ended up with A*AA (A* in maths), and got into birmingham, my first choice. I know my AS grades were slightly better than yours, but i hope this shows you that it is 100% possible to turn mediocre grades into fantastic ones. I wish you all the best my friend.

Thank you so much for this! It has giving me a bit of hope for the future I just need to work my butt off this year. If you don't mind me asking, are you done with uni or are you still attending?

ReputationRep:

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this! It has giving me a bit of hope for the future I just need to work my butt off this year. If you don't mind me asking, are you done with uni or are you still attending?
    I'm starting this year. Very nervous but excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
    Thank you! I have learnt from my mistakes and do plan on making it up this year. I am determined to not let those grades define me or what I'm capable of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollz272)
    I'm starting this year. Very nervous but excited
    I wanted to apply to Birmingham to do Philosophy. I went to the open day and loved it!

I'm excited for you haha

Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    Just resit exams and work really hard! Try and get your teachers to predict you BBB. If they don't, let them know they are ruining your life (hehe) no but if not a gap year isn't the end of the world and you can do many exciting things on a year out. You can then apply to uni with the actual grades.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I have learnt from my mistakes and do plan on making it up this year. I am determined to not let those grades define me or what I'm capable of.

That is the spirit my dear friend-you should never give up on your dreams

ReputationRep:
    Hey..i was wondering if you could possibly send me or post your personal statement as I would love to see an example of a good one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.