Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just received my Chemistry result for AS and it was a disappointing C, having worked the entire year for this subject I am quite annoyed and upset since I had been getting As and Bs the entire year. I am particularly annoyed and to some degree confused with my coursework grade.

At school I managed to get 45/50 which my teacher told me would be an A but then when I received my results it said I had gotten a C in my coursework - how did this happen why did my coursework after being moderated drop by two grades while others only fell by one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 78Saab)
    I just received my Chemistry result for AS and it was a disappointing C, having worked the entire year for this subject I am quite annoyed and upset since I had been getting As and Bs the entire year. I am particularly annoyed and to some degree confused with my coursework grade.

At school I managed to get 45/50 which my teacher told me would be an A but then when I received my results it said I had gotten a C in my coursework - how did this happen why did my coursework after being moderated drop by two grades while others only fell by one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ISAs tend to have RIDICULOUSLY high grade boundaries easily pushing into the 60s just to pass sometimes (at least when I did A levels last year)
    Even then, don't forget it only covers 20% of the whole of your As level, do you remember/see exactly what it says on the sheet for that part?

ReputationRep:
    Do you also remember if it was the 3T or the 3X exam you did?

ReputationRep:
    It said 40 C

I assume it meant 40 ums, which would have been like 40/41 marks. The grade boundary was 44/50 marks for an A, I got 45/50 marks with no cheating either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it was 3T

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It said 40 C

I assume it meant 40 ums, which would have been like 40/41 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That would have put you one mark under a B, I don't know the formula they use to calculate UMS points but, it wouldn't surprise me if those were the raw marks instead.

ReputationRep:
    Which ever exam had 45/50 marks in 2013 for an A, thats the one I sat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it was UMS because it said 68 C next my Chem unit 1 and the paper is out of 70, so if I did get 68 raw marks if would say 68 A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it was UMS because it said 68 C next my Chem unit 1 and the paper is out of 70, so if I did get 68 raw marks if would say 68 A

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not possible because the whole paper is out of 60 UMS, not 70...
    You sure you're looking at the right mark?

EDIT:
    Sorry, misread.

ReputationRep:
    Click on this link for everything you need: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

Fill in thing to get you to the exam and then just click on one mark, then just follow the line up the graph as it says raw and UMS points:

It will look something like this:

Attachment 313431

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for showing me that :awesome:

In this bizarre case 40 marks = 40ums for CHEM 3T

See this is what I mean, I got 45 raw marks at school and after moderating my coursework it was brought down to 40 raw marks? Why did they drop my grade by 5 marks, it seems a bit steep when other peoples coursework only dropped from like a C to a D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.